Zumba or Bokwa?

Options
Which one do you prefer? I didn't really like the 1 Zumba class I tried. Now I am considering Bokwa. The video I saw online looks really fun! Sorta looks like the dancing you see in music videos.

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, I do the DVD's, the Zumba class you did, the teacher probably wasn't good, because Zumba should be fun, sorry you didn't enjoy it....I have never heard of Bokwa, I will have to research that one....
  • rhunter07
    Options
    We have a local Zumba class that I attend on Tuesday's that I love. Our instructor said there is a lot of zumba fakes out there, who aren't teaching true Zumba.
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am also sorry that you didn't enjoy the Zumba class you took.
    Instructors DO vary a lot. Intensity, personality, choreography....If you enjoy Bokwa more, that is great (never heard of it.). however, IF you get the chance, I would suggest trying another Zumba class, with a different instructor. You might like it :)
    But, thanks for introducing me to something new. I am going to research this thing called Bokwa....
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to what I think will become the new fitness craze: Bokwa Fitness. It's relatively new, just popping up in the last 6 months or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASTA4ooPkLk
  • Bonnie1974
    Options
    Agreed, If the teacher you have doesn't make it fun you won't enjoy it. I have been to a few Zumba classes now, and experienced it with 2 differnt teachers, and one is hard core and fun, the other one has no personailty.. So depending on my mood, I chose which day I am going to..

I say don't give up on it and try it again...

Bokwa?? Never heard of it, will have to do some google work on that one..
  • Sherri71
    Options
    I think you may be right regarding the Zumba class I took. There wasn't any instruction at all. The instructor just did her thing in the front of the class and we had to follow along. It was a very large class, probably 50 students.
  • Sherri71
    Options
    There are a couple pretty cool youtube videos on Bokwa Fitness
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I checked out some clips on YT of Bokwa. It does look fun, (and I am not just saying this because I teach it :), Zumba is too.
    Just give it a try again with another instructor.
    Meanwhile, I would love to see if any local gyms are offering Bokwa and check it out.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love them both. Do Zumba on a Saturday and Bokwa on a Sunday (going later this evening). The difference I feel with Bokwa is you can 'really' push yourself harder. Once you learn the steps you can burn, burn, burn those calories. I love them both. x
  • Venus2011
    Options
    Thank you for telling me about Bokwa. not sure if I'm up to all the different moves for this exercise. I think i'll stick with Zumba for awhile and try this later.
  • MrsHallum07
    MrsHallum07 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just checked out Bokwa & it looks like fun. I enjoy Zumba, but............
    BOKWA, is a trademarked name and workout that is derived from a combination of two words. "BO" represents the light boxing and "KWA" representing the cultural and traditional dance Kwaito, hence, BOKWA is born.

It is an intense cardiovascular workout combined with South African war dance, Capoeira, Kickboxing and Steps. It has been proven to burn a great amount of calories making it easier for weight loss goals. Through the use of fast paced extreme movement, a fun, challenging, and energizing total body workout was created.

BOKWA is a very unique dance fitness program due to the use of letters and numbers as placement combined with use of hand signals and American Sign Language. It is refreshing and builds strength and endurance driven by the pulsating rhythmic beats of African, Latin, Popular dance and House music. Bokwa is an innovative dance fitness program that is an abundance of fun and does NOT feel like a workout!!!!

Looking into becoming an instructor!!! :)
    291945 Posts: 1
    Options
    Love Zumba but untortunately can't say the same for Bokwa! Went to my first class on the 23rd April this year and 15 mins into the class I snapped my achilles tendon! Absolutely gutted. Saw an article this week on MSN which says that classes are being cancelled due to injury. Apparently the exercise is all right leg lead which causes strain on the right calf and achilles tendon. If I'd have seen this article, I wouldn't have attended the class!
  • dispatchsunshine
    Options
    Zumba is my favorite workout! :) But the instructor can sooooo make the difference in a class. I'd try a different instructor, if I were you.

I actually had to google the Bokwa. I wasn't familiar with it. Apparently, it appears to be mostly a northern thing. Not one class nor instructor certification anywhere near the South. But I didn't see anything bad about it in news articles. I'll be watching this, I guess . . .
  • FelicityArtifex
    Options
    Never heard of Bokwa. I didn't like the first few Zumba classes I went to; I liked it after a while but I prefer Nia and have been doing that since December.
    Here is a link, it's not listed on MFP as an exercise
    http://www.nianow.com/
    I also am a huge fan of Journey Dance (Toni Bergins)
    http://journeydance.com/
    For me, dance is entirely different than my running or weight lifting. Hope you find something that feels right to you.
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    Bokwa hurts my calves and ankles too much, I prefer Zumba to be honest

our Zumba instructor has been teaching half and half classes, some Zumba and Bokwa routines together, which can be great fun!
  • Hipswirl
    Hipswirl Posts: 1
    Options
    I love both, depends on the teacher! I do Zumba and Bokwa both in Southampton and Bristol both great classes, but I feel the burn more with Bokwa! Bokwa is breaking out down south too, I recently went to a huge 2hr launch night in Southampton with 100 participants, it was great fun :D
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, I do the DVD's, the Zumba class you did, the teacher probably wasn't good, because Zumba should be fun, sorry you didn't enjoy it....I have never heard of Bokwa, I will have to research that one....

I second this.... Plus You should try Zumba at least 3 times before deciding. I think the first class everyone feels stupid, second class you feel a little better but still unsure and by the third class you will love it or you don't.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump to check out Bokwa
  • hana2291
    hana2291 Posts: 8
    Options
    I love both, depends on the teacher! I do Zumba and Bokwa both in Southampton and Bristol both great classes, but I feel the burn more with Bokwa! Bokwa is breaking out down south too, I recently went to a huge 2hr launch night in Southampton with 100 participants, it was great fun :D

Hey! I was at that launch! I'm a Bokwa instructor in London and was there to help out Anna- I was the one in the yellow top on the left podium :-) glad you're enjoying Bokwa!! X
  • Redskins76
    Redskins76 Posts: 68
    Options
    I never tried Bokwa but judging from the way my wife looks and being a Zumba instructor I think Zumba works better!!! Go Zumba!! Brownie points!! :) COME ON YALL!! lol.