someone help I went on a binge yesterday!!!

Options
Ive lost 11 pounds so far and I gained 3 pounds from a couple slices of pizza and ice cream how many hours should I clock in at the gym to derail what I just did I was thinkin three hours on the elliptical for a week?

Replies

• amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It is mostly water weight you just gained back. Drink plenty of water and get back on track with your diet. It will come off!

I had a binge weekend - not intentional. First time I have done that since I started MFP in January. I woke up Monday morning feeling awful. I just got back on the water, back on the calorie counting, back to the gym, and I have already lost 2-1/2 pounds of what I gained.

Good luck!
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Girlwithnoname77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 11 pounds so far and I gained 3 pounds from a couple slices of pizza and ice cream how many hours should I clock in at the gym to derail what I just did I was thinkin three hours on the elliptical for a week?

Don't weigh yourself after your meal, as the scales will show you as heavier.
    What I do is this ... I put my settings as lose 2 pounds a week and the cals are 1300. But to maintain my weight I get up to 2300. So I think ... so long as I am under 2300 I will keep losing weight.
    Basically - My goal is always 1300 but I am not hard on myself when I go over occasional, so long as it is only every now and again AND I have been mostly good.

ALSO - if you are binging, ask yourself WHY. I used to do this heaps, I big offender. Then when I started MFP I noticed that I was completely emotionally eating. I even found myself with my hand in the peanut jar and stopping myself when I realised that I was just on auto pilot, and not really thinking about WHY I was eating.

Good luck, and don't panic.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ugh- me too!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    2 slices of pizza would be 500-600 calories and ice cream would probably be under 1000 (i'm just guessing that a "binge" means a lot of ice cream).

so that's 1500-1600 calories
    to gain a pound you must consume around 3500 calories OVER your maintenance calories

so no. you didn't gain 3 pounds. you didn't even gain one pound. you had too much sodium and not enough water and are retaining water. if you just drink plenty of water today it'll be off by tomorrow or the next day
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you don't gain weight overnight just as you don't lose it overnight. Sounds like water weight to me. Drink lots of water and get back on track.
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    Yesterday was yesterday; today, tomorrow and every day are brand new days!

Just get back to your usual routine and the weight will come off again - and it most probably is retained water, so drink plenty and watch the sodium! You are not back to square one, this is just a little blip!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate over 10000 calories worth of pizza and ice cream, its just water weight. 1 pound = 3500 calories (yes my math is a bit off but I"m rounding lol)

Brush the binge off and do better today. :) its a new day.
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Pizza and ice cream are not the enemy. Both are great to have. It's just how much of everything else did you have that day. I think we binge when we start to think of food as bad. 3 pounds from a meal? I don't see how that is possible unless you need to use the bathroom. :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you gained 3 pounds back over night. If you weighed yourself right after you ate, keep in mind that you were also weighing everything in your stomach.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 3 lbs of fat in one night. It's water weight and it will come off. Be sure to drink lots of water this week to help flush the sodium out of your system. If the number on the scale effects your mood, definitely do not weigh after a meal out. You'll be disappointed. A few extra minutes in the gym during each workout is never a bad thing!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It isn't true weight gain like others said. Drink some water, eat normal and don't starve yourself the day after it doesn't help.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options

are you being serious? i'm sorry if you really are genuiney disturbed by what you ate, but there are people on here with genuine binge difficulties that are seeking social support on the forums. please don't try to get kicks out of pandering to or mimicking other people's insecurities.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    get to hoppin' it. you only have to add a few extra minutes to your workout. Maybe try a new class today, bemay it will get you good and sore and you'll think twice next time.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Jackie, you had a great question. Yesterday is gone. ONCE you overeat make your next meal on track. You can add exercise to help off set the food you ate. But you might weight more the next day. It is what you do on the next day that is more important and even more it's what you do after you binge.

Forget yesterday, you can not do anything about it. Today is a new day and make better choices. No one is perfect and can't be perfect every day and every meal. I"M sure not. But you are trying and have asked a great question.

So that said:

Drink lots of water
    Exercise
    Make better choices
    Log your food
    But most of all..................love yourself for making a healthier lifestyle change.

YOU can do it!! The choice is yours. Make the most of today!
  • jackielora
    jackielora Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. hanlovesjames im not mimicking someone?
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    2 slices of pizza would be 500-600 calories and ice cream would probably be under 1000 (i'm just guessing that a "binge" means a lot of ice cream).

so that's 1500-1600 calories
    to gain a pound you must consume around 3500 calories OVER your maintenance calories

so no. you didn't gain 3 pounds. you didn't even gain one pound. you had too much sodium and not enough water and are retaining water. if you just drink plenty of water today it'll be off by tomorrow or the next day

Thank you, now I don't have to write it out! So you Rock.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    A couple slices of pizza and some ice cream is a pretty common dinner for me. Far from a binge.

Relax! If you slip up one day, just resume as usual tomorrow. Disordered behavior and obsessive exercise will get you no where in the long run. Congrats on the 11 pounds!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    We all have our bad days or weekends. We need to live a little. Don't let the guilt get you down....just get back up and start drinking lots of water! :)
  • rheyl21
    rheyl21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    We all have good days and bad days, don't let this get you down. And, yes, most of it is probably water weight so drink plenty of water!!!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I do want to point out one thing. We are adults. This should be a lifestyle change. That means we don't have to give up certain foods, we just have to be responsible. I have had ice cream two nights in a row. Now being responsible, I made sure it fit in my calorie plan. And I chose the Turkey Hill light recipe.

I can have pizza if I want. I usually don't now only because the pizza from the pizza places usually makes me feel ill about 30 minutes after I eat it. It is all the grease.

Guess what else. I did not put all this weight on in one day. I will not lose all this weight in one day. So if I go over my calorie plan by a few hundred calories, or even by 1,000 ONE DAY, I am still going to be okay if I follow my plan the next day.

What I have found out is, just like the pizza, the longer I eat healthy the less I crave junk. McD's holds no appeal to me for food. Although I will stop for a cup of coffee there. I drive past all that fast food and have no cravings. It wasn't always like that, it took time and dedication and sticking to my plan. Now I find I have to make sure I eat enough. I had that ice cream last night to bump up my calories. Do the work, drink the water, follow your plan.