Less cardio more weights or vice versa?

Options
I've been working out for the past 3/4 months and have lost about 3 kgs. I'm at a healthy weight and just looking to lose more fat so I'm not that kind that has alot of fat to lose. After the 2nd month or so, I started doing one hour of cardio. 1st 30 minutes are intense intervals while the 2nd set of 30 minutes are moderate-paced.

My weight has stuck at 44.7kgs. Could it be because I'm not eating enough and running too much? Would incorporating strength/weight training help me to lose fat more quickly?

Replies

• isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    bump
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Definitely add some weight lifting in. I reduced the amount of cardio I do, I do HIIT now instead if I do cardio. I weight lift 4 times a week.
    I don't know how much you are eating since your diary isn't public, but if you are eating below your BMR then yes you aren't eating enough.
    My measurements are getting smaller since I have added strength training.
  • braga1992
    braga1992 Posts: 23
    Options
    Equal. Lift weights first, cardio last. Reason why is because you burn off the glycogen (stored carbs) in your muscles during weight lifting. Once glycogen is depleted, your body starts feeding off body fat for energy. Doing cardio after weight lifting is perfect.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more and add strength training. You're pretty consistently under on calories, sometimes by substantial amounts (assuming you're logging everything), and WAAAAY under on protein.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Equal. Lift weights first, cardio last. Reason why is because you burn off the glycogen (stored carbs) in your muscles during weight lifting. Once glycogen is depleted, your body starts feeding off body fat for energy. Doing cardio after weight lifting is perfect.

I had not heard that one before. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I've been doing 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical, usually) to get warmed up. Maybe I'll bank that down to 5-10, do some weights, then hop back on the elliptical and do some burnout work.

Thanks for the interesting tip.
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I'm trying so hard to pile on the protein but it's so hard!! :/ I'm usually under calories when school starts because I get so busy + weird break timings + weird workout timings. & I hate to eat right before bed...
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You probably need to prepare the night before, so you don't go under so much. You're pretty light already, and not eating is not going to help. Plan out your meals, pack stuff, make yourself some protein shakes/ice cream, figure out some calorie dense but nutritious food, etc. You may want to eat the higher calorie/fat versions of things like yogurt and cheese, and lots of nuts, for instance.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for the past 3/4 months and have lost about 3 kgs. I'm at a healthy weight and just looking to lose more fat so I'm not that kind that has alot of fat to lose. After the 2nd month or so, I started doing one hour of cardio. 1st 30 minutes are intense intervals while the 2nd set of 30 minutes are moderate-paced.

My weight has stuck at 44.7kgs. Could it be because I'm not eating enough and running too much? Would incorporating strength/weight training help me to lose fat more quickly?

You really want to be 90 pounds. Surely thats way underweight?