What's wrong with losing lean muscle?

Options

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Interesting debate of the aesthetic appeal and health of low bodyfat model vs fitness types.......but back to the original question......

Before we do lets level set. I think you are confusing Muscle with Lean Body Mass. 'Lean Muscle' is superflous. Muscle is Lean. LBM means everything non-fat. Water, organs, muscle, bones etc.

The origins of the desire to preserve muscle mass come from the worlds most proflific and expert dieters; the bodybuilding community. A bodybuilder may spend 10 months eating and lifting heavy to grow as much muscle as possible then 2 months dieting hard to reduce fat to super-low levels and show that muscle off. The last thing they want to do is lose any of that hard gained muscle.

This is true of anyone who lifts, not just competitive bodybuilders.

But not everyone lifts. Before I go on, lets pick up on another myth - "muscle increases your metabolism" - actually it's not a myth. It's completely true - but studies show the effect to me absolutely tiny. About the equivalent of half a small apple. Resting muscle has a very small metabolic demand. Single digit % compared to your organs.

So for those people who don't lift, do you need to be concerned with losing muscle? Assuming we aren't talking about doing stupid regimes like near starvation for 3 weeks to drop 20kgs, or 20 weeks of 1000cals a day then No, not all.

The body is a highly adaptive thing and the muscle that the non-weight trained person carries is an adaption to that persons daily needs. So if you were to diet a little too extreme for a week and did lose some muscle, when the time came to return to your regular caloric intake, the body would just adapt again and bring that back.

All that said, skinny looks damn ugly and a little muscle tone is nice, clothes hand better on a body with shape and you feel all round better.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Because 5'10", 109 is a little on the "light" side??? SMH....

BMI (for what its worth) is under 16. :-(
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    see ^^ that 'musclyness' is exactly what I want to avoid. I think Snejana looks amazing, so ethereal.

She is too skinny, very low muscle mass. Her body looks loke a 10 yr olds not a woman. How old is she?

Considering she is, in fact, a woman, it seems she does look like a woman.

I'm all for educating someone on the benefits of maintaining a healthy amount of muscle, but can we please stop insulting any woman who isn't YOUR ideal? Thanks.

Her body looks like a child's. I think from later pics she's put on some weight and looks better. I like the thin look but that is too thin. Intentionally done by under-eating.

And some women (yes, ADULT WOMEN) look like that without trying. I know several. I don't get why so many people here have to be insulting because another woman looks different than their particular goal.

How about some respect that we're not clones?

I think your ideas about body shape and what is healthy is a bit off. How you can think the musclely pic is too muscular. I've seen too muscular pics on women and that wasn't one of them.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    see ^^ that 'musclyness' is exactly what I want to avoid. I think Snejana looks amazing, so ethereal.

You need to have low body fat levels for you to achieve a "muscly" look. That lady has approx 15% body fat which is why her muscles show up so no need to worry about that. I also lift heavy weights (bench press 60lbs., deadlift 70lbs., squat 75 lbs., arm exercises 35lbs. each arm) but I still look kinda soft because my body fat percentage is almost at 20%. In fact many people in the gym are surprised that I can lift heavy because of how I look.

8336780_7882.jpg

If you already achieve your goals & happy about it, you can just workout to maintain your current muscle mass & body fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't really compare your average person to super models or hollywood people as we dont' live their lives. Generally, without muscle you tend to be flabbed or skinny fat. Below are two stories of women who gained weight by adding muscle. Now, as long as you are eating a calorie deficit, you won't be gaining weight. And at a 110 lbs (which is underweight for the height), there really isn't much to lose except your health. Muscle is your bodies controller for almost everything. From your metabolism to immune system to insulin control. Lack of insulin control is why skinny people can still get diabetes type II. I can say since I consistently started weight training, I haven't gotten sick and it's been about 2.5 years. And I used to get sick as a teen and low 20's at least once or twice a year (personal experience and it may not apply to others).

Also, muscle supports all your tissue and ligaments. The less muscle you have, the more prone to injury as your muscles won't be supporting your frame. And you don't need to be an athlete to slip and tear an ACL, MCL or meniscus.

Now, I know we all have an idea of what we all want to look like and we have to respect that. But all the guys I know, prefer the athletic look.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When you are sitting there typing your question on the computer, the fat on your body is burning about 5 calories a day. The muscle is burning about 25 calories a day. If you get up, walk to your elliptical trainer and exercise, the fat is still burning 5 calories a day, while your muscle is burning anywhere from 150 calories a day to 250 calories a day. I am talking about a section of fat and a section of muscle. Not all the fat or all the muscle on your body. Would you not rather keep the muscle on your body so that you are burning fat? Would you not rather eat 2000 - 2500 calories a day and maintain weight than be stuck at eating 1200 - 1500 calories a day? That is why you want to maintain lean muscle on your body. You will have a higher metabolism with it there and be able to eat more calories and still lose or maintain weight.

On top of that, I agree with the poster that put up the pictures of the model and athlete, each having the same lean body mass. The athletic one looks so much better.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    While everyone is entitled to their own choice to encourage you to lose any more weight would be to encourage an eating disorder. Sorry. Please seek help and take care of yourself.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

She looks gross to me. Like the body of a 9 year old boy or something. I much, much prefer the more fit and muscular woman. She looks far more healthy than the emaciated woman above.
  • ijustmightbecrazy
    Options

She is too skinny, very low muscle mass. Her body looks loke a 10 yr olds not a woman. How old is she?

I'm all for educating someone on the benefits of maintaining a healthy amount of muscle, but can we please stop insulting any woman who isn't YOUR ideal? Thanks.

Her body looks like a child's. I think from later pics she's put on some weight and looks better. I like the thin look but that is too thin. Intentionally done by under-eating.

And some women (yes, ADULT WOMEN) look like that without trying. I know several. I don't get why so many people here have to be insulting because another woman looks different than their particular goal.

The runway is nothing but clones , why are you defending it? Seriously, you talk about respect and not bowing to other people's ideal images, yet the professional modeling world is nothing if not the epitome of bowing to an ideal image. Instead, you're getting snippy on people who support women being at a comfortable body fat % with a healthy muscle tone to promote a healthier way of living that reaps benefits even into old age.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Half the battle in the body image game is choosing realistic goals.

The only way anyone is ever going to look like Abbey is if they are very tall in the first place, and still very young - that low body fat and low muscle combination can only really look good on a very long frame, and you'll note that most former supermodels - the Cindys, Lindas etc of this world, have actually increased their weight and muscle mass as they have got older as that look can tend to be aging once you get out of your twenties.

I am quoting this one, because I feel the OP is more concerned about looking a certain way.

So, in your 20s....you can look great with not much muscle tone and being super skinny. But, as you age, you start looking sick. Your sin is not as tight, the muscles start looking more loose, your metabolism has dropped, so you have to eat less. Sooo, these models that have starved themselves to stay so thin by the time they hit my age (42), look like crap. If you keep your muscles healthier, you will look better as you age.

If a woman in naturally underweight and thin, then that is fine...you can not help what your body looks like and you should embrace a thin body. But, if you want to starve yourself and lose muscle mass to look super thin, I think that is wrong...but it is your body, so do what you want...I don't care! :drinker:
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    OP, Everyone has their "ideal" body type. Skinny, curvy, fit, toned - there are lots of different shapes and sizes for a reason, because we're all individuals. I think what has everyone up in arms is the fact that you're striving to reach an unrealistic and potentially unhealthy ideal, which is pretty much the definition of an eating disorder. I will not criticize that model - she could fit in my shirt sleeve, I'm pretty sure :P - and I won't criticize you. But I will urge you to seek a physician's advice before continuing the process of becoming unnaturally thin. Some people may be able to do this and remain healthy. I would wager that most cannot.

Just be safe and healthy, that's all anyone cares about!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your heart is a muscle...right!?!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The runway is nothing but clones , why are you defending it? Seriously, you talk about respect and not bowing to other people's ideal images, yet the professional modeling world is nothing if not the epitome of bowing to an ideal image. Instead, you're getting snippy on people who support women being at a comfortable body fat % with a healthy muscle tone to promote a healthier way of living that reaps benefits even into old age.
    I'm not defending the runway. I'm defending all the "real women" out there who don't fit the ideal of the people in this thread who have called them "ugly" and "disgusting."

Believe it or not, there are women -- REAL WOMEN -- who are very thin and not because they starve themselves or don't work out or whatever. Some women really are just very thin. And, you know what? Some people -- men and women -- actually find that look attractive.

Just imagine if I came on here and said any women with a body fat percentage below 25 were "disgusting" and "ugly." Would you be upset about that? I think so.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked, this website was called "myfitnesspal" so lets stop and assess who we can find on here... people who want to be fit..no? OP you will run into some resistance as to "how you want to look". This is a forum in which we practice healthy eating and healthy lifestyles and the majority of the people responding to you agree that this, to them, is not healthy.

As others have said, hey it's your body, but please do not excpect people to condone starvation and model thinness, thats not what your "fitness pals" are here for.

And yes, you do use your muscles...for everything, even to blink.
  • aradalj1
    aradalj1 Posts: 23
    Options
    While everyone is entitled to their own choice to encourage you to lose any more weight would be to encourage an eating disorder. Sorry. Please seek help and take care of yourself.

Thank you for the concern, but as i have stated before I am naturally lanky, I didn't join MFP to lose weight and I have not lost or plan to lose any weight. I just wanted to make sure I'm eating healthy. I have been the same weight since I stopped growing and I do not / have not ever had an ED. It is a bit offensive when people tell me to 'seek help' for being born this way.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If you dislike someones body type -- please don't use terms like UGLY and DISGUSTING. There are other people who look like that model and the sporty girl out in the world and those words can cut like a knife.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you dislike someones body type -- please don't use terms like UGLY and DISGUSTING. There are other people who look like that model and the sporty girl out in the world and those words can cut like a knife.
    Thank you. That's what I've been trying to say.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Thank you for the concern, but as i have stated before I am naturally lanky, I didn't join MFP to lose weight and I have not lost or plan to lose any weight. I just wanted to make sure I'm eating healthy. I have been the same weight since I stopped growing and I do not / have not ever had an ED. It is a bit offensive when people tell me to 'seek help' for being born this way.

As you have no pics it's hard to imagine at your low weight and height(tall)that your legs are too muscular.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

At the height and weight you stated, your BMI is 15.6. That is not, nor will it ever be healthy. And you want to lose more and think your legs look too thick? That's the definition of an ED. You need professional help.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I didn't mean to offend you. But you wouldn't be the first anorexic person to use these boards, post pics of rail thin models as inspiration and insult other, healthy body types as "too muscley". Your BMI already has you as underweight. And now you say you want to lose muscle.

So I'm sorry if you're offended. But everything about what you've posted screams eating disorder. If you actually do want to be healthy you shouldn't want to lose muscle mass.