staying on target while laid up???

Options
here is the deal. I have been doing very well. Losing almost every week, making good food choices overall and this is with allowing myself a 'cheat night'. Just over a week ago I had a scheduled surgery. I went into the surgery with a mental plan on what I would do while I was unable to workout in order to not gain. Well, that plan went right out the window. I ate foolishly (example - 1/2 gallon of ice cream) and was not able (and am still not able) to workout at my typical intensity and frequency. End result = up 1.5 pounds. That in and of itself wouldn't be that big a deal. Simply getting back at it would take care of that but I am scheduled for a second surgery in just over a week. This one will have me down for weeks and unable to workout at all for at least that long. At best i will be doing slow walks by the third week. I am now worried. ALOT. that I will not be able to stay healthy and my 20ish pound loss over the last few months will be gone. I am looking for ideas, thoughts and suggestions that I can use while I am house bound and fighting the urge to have a 'pity party' every day. Thanks to everyone in advance......Cherrie

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hey Cherie,

I had surgery a few years back that had me laid up for a while. I used protein shake meal replacements for breakfast and lunch, and then had a regular dinner. As soon as I was able, I took short walks using walking sticks. Every day, i was able to go a little farther.
    The shakes helped me feel full, and then the walking helped keep me " somewhat active". At least it felt like a workout, because it took so long to go a short distance.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you will do fine.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestion. I will definately try that.