Mental barrier - help needed (be nice please..)

Options
When I first joined the gym the largest hurdle for me psychologically was walking in and getting on the machine. Now I can walk into the cardiovascular section of the gym still kind of nervous (I have major social anxiety) but I just get on with it. I want to begin incorporation a bit of resistance training etc into my routine but I have this HUGE fear of walking into that part of the gym and looking like an idiot on the machines even though I know what I am doing. If anyone has any tips on how to man up and get over myself I would appreciate it..

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself. Man up.

And get a plan. Pick a lifting plan that fits your goals
    Ignore the machines.
    Look on bodybuilding.com for videos on how to do the lifts you will be doing.
    Get in, put your head down, work out, get out.
    That's all there is to it.
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You have just as much right to be there as everyone else. You paid your membership. Just remember - they all put their pants on the same way ---one leg at a time!! Go for it.
  • sophy28
    sophy28 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! It feels nice to know I'm not the only one. LOL.

Sometimes I have to talk myself to going onto a machine I'm not familiar with. Its as if I feel like the other members own the equipment!
    e
    What helps me is just my motto 'Fake it to make it' Just go for it, once you've got yourself over to whatever machine you want to use you will feel much better. Head up, deep breath and just go! :)
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    Put your earphones on, don't look at anyone else and just go for it.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You know alot of folks at the gym arent evil pyschos that will tear you a new one for being there. If you dont know how to do something just ask someone and Im sure they will help you. Just dont disrupt their lifts and wait for them to have their break in between sets :D
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    They are there for their reasons you are there for yours. Years ago I had same issue but got a trainer to set me up with a routine and off I went. I knew how to do each machine so I put my headphones on and got 'er done. Yes you will always have those not so bright looking beefcakes but you just smile and snicker quietly at them while they grunt and groan. It feels so rewarding to go in, get your stuff done and feel stronger both physically and mentally for being able to do it in the first place.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is your gym?

I had a huge problem at my last gym. There were all these super buff guys who would look at me like "she has no clue what she is doing" and it put me off. I didn't want to be laughed at. This was NOT high school!

So I started going to a new gym and there were all different age groups and weight classes and everyone was so helpful and nice. It really makes me WANT to go to the gym because I feel at home.

Also when I started at this new gym, I had my co-worker who used to be a personal trainer come with me and show me all the machines so I wouldn't be intimidated with them. She said that intimidation can really hinder someone's progress.

The other part is that you have to want it and don't care how you look or who's looking at you. Do this for you! Those people aren't anything to you

Hope that helps a little bit. Good luck and keep your chin up!! Feel free to add me. We can keep each other motivated.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    ME too! I have the exact same problem! It makes me nervous just thinking about it.

You know, I bet there are lots of people who are kinda nervous walking into the gym. We are NOT the only ones and that's what helps me overcome this nervous feeling so I can work out for a bit.

Good luck! Remember: YOU are NOT the only one who feels this way!
  • freedsgirl
    freedsgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've been scared of that side of the gym for a while, and I still don't use a machine unless I've used it before or seen someone use it right before me. Some gyms have people that can give you a tour of the weight machines to help. Also, you could look up videos of the machines when you're at home. Good luck, I hope this helps!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Can you go at a time when not many people are there? Use that time to get yourself acquainted with the machines and how they work?
    For the social anxiety part: do some self-talking (biofeedback) while you're there. Keep telling yourself that no one is really watching you or cares what you're doing. Do some breathing techniques designed to counter the chemicals released during anxiety attacks. Remember: If you're relaxed, you can't be anxious.
    Go get 'em!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I asked one of the trainers (who I had worked with before) to help me out with some of the machines. Having a familiar face really helped me get over my nervousness and self consciousness. The next time I went, it was much easier for me. Now I am in that part of the gym 2-3 times a week with no problems.
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Usually when you join a gym they take you around and show you how to use the equipment. Ask someone to do that. Best of luck to you!! You CAN do this!! :)
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I asked one of the trainers (who I had worked with before) to help me out with some of the machines. Having a familiar face really helped me get over my nervousness and self consciousness. The next time I went, it was much easier for me. Now I am in that part of the gym 2-3 times a week with no problems.

^^This! And, try visualizing yourself working out in that area as if you belong there. Some people think it's hokey, but believe it or not, many elite atheletes practice this before a particularly tough event and it can be very effective because in their mind, they have already accomplished that event! It's the same as practicing for a speech or presentation at work - you do it over and over in your mind, picturing exactly what you look like, what your are going to do, how you are going to feel doing it (confident, of course! - like it's absolutely natural for you to be there slinging those weights!) and perform the action from start to finish, over and over in your head in as much detail as possible. Makes a huge difference, especially when you are faced with doing something that makes you nervous or uncomfortable.

Good luck! I'm rooting for your! :)
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Go tot he front desk and ask to schedule an orientation, these should be free. They can't always do it right then, but I've never been to a gym (8 gyms three states) where they didn't offer this service. A typical orientation will include how to set up the machines both cardio and resistance as well as a starter routine. The people doing the orientations are not always personal trainers, but they can get you going in the right direction. You might still get anxious about walking over there, but it won't be because you don't know how to use the equipment.

If you want a little more security, spring for 1-3 sessions with a personal trainer and explain that you are just getting started and need a little help learning the machines and getting a plan together. People think personal trainers are just for long term plans, but if short term is what you need, that's what they'll give you.

I teach at our local Y, but have always had anxiety about my body and my abilities, so I have to consciously shut down the negative voices and just do what I need to do. I actually still have to tell myself "This is your time, get your *kitten* over there and lift" on free weight days. It is easy to get intimidated, and hard to stand up for yourself, but to be honest those scary buff folks over there are very helpful and understanding and many of them were just like you when they started. I was surprised the other day when somebody was asking me questions about lifting, when did I go from newbie to someone who looks like they belong?
  • startinganewleaf
    Options
    wow thanks guys for being so nice!! :)
    well its my university gym im a member of, never really feel too comfortable in there. but gonna go tomorrow morning and be brave! im home in 2 weeks and feel completely fine at my home gym, guess cos im more familiar with it!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    We gym rats don't laugh at the people trying. Just the ones who come for two weeks and then fade away. Show up, if you have a question ask. If you need help with a weight ask. Most of those intimidating, in shape people are some what evangelical about form technique and keeping fit. They'll help.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You paid for your membership and that part of the gym is yours also. Don't let anxious thoughts have their way with you, your life, your goals. When your mind starts to go around and around AND AROUND with anxious thoughts... change the subject. You are spoiling your inner anxious child by letting it have it's way on the stage of your mind. What if this? and What if that? over and over- it is damaging to your health- it can wear you out and wear you down. When you catch yourself thinking these types of thoughts- stop it... change the subject, don't try to rationalize with it... just ignore it by intentionally thinking of something else- sing a song- anything to not let those thoughts have their way. Have a blast lifting- it can be very rewarding and I am sure you deserve it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just go in, introduce yourself and it helps if you've brought a fruit basket :bigsmile:

just kidding. weight rooms can be intimidating at first. just remember a few things
    - most people are probably too busy looking at themselves to even notice you
    - always have a plan for what you're going to do once you get there. carry a notebook if you have to to keep track of your workouts and weights
    - most people in the weight room are helpful, so dont be afraid to ask a question about where to find some equipment or whatever. just make sure you do it between their sets
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    We gym rats don't laugh at the people trying. Just the ones who come for two weeks and then fade away. Show up, if you have a question ask. If you need help with a weight ask. Most of those intimidating, in shape people are some what evangelical about form technique and keeping fit. They'll help.

^^^truth! The "real" gym goers are MORE than happy to help you. I've done it more times than I can count. I wait until they are at a break and tell them I'm just starting out and can they help me with whatever weight/exercise/machine I need help with. I felt the same way as you and just forced myself into it, now I'm fine. Do YOU stare at people when you go? Probably not. Chances are they aren't focused on you, either!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I think people appreciate the honesty of you saying, "Hi, I'm new to this, and I wondered if I could ask you a question" - I've been struggling with some shoulder pain and I did that very thing to the biggest guy I saw at the gym last night. I figured there was no way he got to that size without encountering SOME issues along the way. After he got over the shock of someone actually talking to him at the gym, he was really cool and immediately suggested a pinched nerve was likely the cause. I've been seeing my chiro periodically, but that was affirmation that I really needed to go see him again. :)

(btw, I went to the chiro today and told him this story. He laughed and then gave me some ideas for things I could do to strengthen my rhomboids, which in turn would better support my spine, which in TURN, would better support my shoulder. Crazy how the body works!)

:)