Making up for over eating calories

Options
Hi All,

Just wondering what everyone's views are..

Last week I went over my target calories by 200cal. I just ate as normal the next day and stayed around 50cal under my target. Do you think it's a good idea on the odd occasion you go over your daily target, to reduce the amount of calories you eat the next day to compensate or should you just eat the target calories for the next day??

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    It all about the mindset.
    If you see your big day as a bad one, while eating less the next day will make you feel better, go ahead. (don't starve yourself though)
    If you're ok, just go back on track and eat the normal amount the next day :)
    2000 calories over TDEE is def. a great day :glasses:
  • Danube73
    Danube73 Posts: 7
    Options
    I did this very thing yesterday. I went way over, not realizing that the rice I had for dinner was 600 calories! I was shocked. I went to bed bloated and uncomfortable. I read somewhere recently that our bodies think long-term instead of day-to-day. As long as we're meeting our daily caloric allowance x7 (for the week), it doesn't matter how it's distributed, or so I understand. Our bodies work it out. I was encouraged to hear this. I do plan to eat fewer calories today, but I will still eat when and if I'm hungry. I just won't eat any more of that rice!!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I went off all weekend with a trip to Vegas and my birthday. The day after, I just went back to my normal routine. :) However, the week before, I had low nets in preparation.
  • angelrock
    angelrock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't matter so much as long as you are within your weekly calorie allowance, it's also a good thing as I have heard it tricks your metabolism so your body doesnt get used to the same amount of calories every day.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a bit under my calorie allowance the next day if I have over indulged, so it averages out over the week. :smile:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    from experience, as soon as i restrict, i tend to have a binge the next day. maybe you don't have that problem though and you'd be ok. hard to say. just depends on your personality. 200 calories really isn't that much so if it were me, i'd just get abck on track the next day and not worry about it.
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Remember you are still in a deficit for the day or at worst maintenance. I would not stress about it for one day. At the same time to go under a little is okay once in a while too. I find if I go out on the weekend and have 300-500 too many calories, I tend to eat later in the morning the next day ( like brunch) and so the calories practically balance out anyway because I end up with only two meals and 2 snacks instead of three meals.
  • freedsgirl
    freedsgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, sometimes it's important to go over your calories for a day or so to shock your metabolism. Sometimes that helps get over a plateau, or so I've heard.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just go by the weekly total. And 200 calories isn't much, so you could just let that one go and continue to eat normally. Just don't feel like you have to starve yourself if you go way over.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even worry about going over by 200 calories. 200 calories is not going to hinder your progress at all.

But if it makes you feel better and keeps you motivated, to go short the next day, then do that.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I normally do that, so I can enjoy my weekend...works for me
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I agree about targeting your weekly goal, that's what really matters in the long run.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have a few opinions on this.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't try and compensate for a slip up especially if it's not something planned out. I guess what I mean is, I think there's a big difference between the following:

1) "Oh crap, I overate. I have to fix this"
    and
    2) "Tomorrow I'm going to go over by 500 because there's an event at work. Today I'm going to cut it short to make room for it".

The former is a guilt-based method of compensation, the latter is just planning.

I firmly believe there's a difference between the two in terms of ED precursors but I can't back that up with anything so take that as my opinion.

Now as it pertains to your post, OP:

My suggestion to you would be to just let it go and get back on track, especially when you're talking about such small amounts of calories. If you're over by 200 every day, then you just need to get better at hitting your targets. If you're over by 200 once per week I wouldn't even concern yourself with it, just resume your plan tomorrow.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you have a tight budget as it is, don't worry about it because trying to make it up might lead to cheating.

If you can easily make it up, do so, even if it's gradually over the next few days.

Remember that a pound is 3500 calories. Going over by even 350 calories is a tenth of a pound "setback", and I put that in quotes because it's a reduction in your deficit, not an excess of calories.

Don't do it regularly and you probably won't even notice a 200-calorie spike every now and again. 250 calories is my margin of error anyway...
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I look at my average over the week, I have wild weekends so make up for it by being good through the week. This is not an exact science, more an accountability tool - good luck!

A :)
  • buttons235
    buttons235 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback everyone :) it's been really helpful. I think I will go by my weekly average - Im usually 50cal under each day which allows for a slip up here and there. Hopefully the comments about it being good to go over once in a while for your metabolism are true haha!!!
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Act like it never happened.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    While I do keep an eye out on my daily intake, at the end of each week I figure out my weekly TDEE and calorie intake to make sure I'm on target for the 3500 cal deficit.
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz just talked about this last week. He said YES, you should fluctuate because it shakes up your metabolism and your body is less likely to shut down thinking your starving it. He called it Calorie Confusion. I don’t know what you ate specifically so this may not really apply but I found it waaaaay interesting. Here is the link: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/7-day-calorie-confusion-meal-plan

Now if I blow a day I just go on the next day and try to do better! Don’t beat yourself up and since you cant apply the saved calories to the last day then don’t stress yesterday – focus on today!