Need extra calories but low fat and low carb!

Options
I've ordered a protein shake this morning as I keep ending up with extra calories left at the end of the day and I can't find a low fat and low carb real food version of something to eat! It's an expensive way of making sure I eat enough. Any alternative ideas out there?

T :happy:

Replies

• saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    Eggs, crustless quiche, lean white meat like chicken or something. I know eggs have fat in them, but it's good fat. Not all fat is bad!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Chicken. Egg whites omelette.
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    What about some yoghurt with sesame seeds, pepitas, sunflower seeds etc
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Why not try some of the Atkins bars and shakes?
  • tinawharrison
    tinawharrison Posts: 123
    Options

They cost a fortune! :laugh:
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    I was hoping for something I can just grab as It's often at the end of the day when I'm tired and can't be bothered cooking... Eggs are great but I didn't have enough fat left last night to eat anymore and i'd already had 2! :laugh:
  • sansouchi1050
    sansouchi1050 Posts: 137
    Options
    my standby quick snack is 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, I add a spoon on Jello sugar free cheesecake pudding mix, and a couple of splenda packet. It tastes like the filling of a cheescake. Low fat cheese sticks are good too. WeightWatcher's has a brand with only 50 calories per stick and 6gms of protein.

I also keep pre-cooked frozen chicken and frozen precooked and preseasoned fish. These help on those days that I don't get home until late or my family is having a high carb meal.
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    oh yeah, keep a few of the little cans of tuna in the pantry - quick and easy, just eat straight out of the can :laugh:
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    oh yeah, keep a few of the little cans of tuna in the pantry - quick and easy, just eat straight out of the can :laugh:

This was my back up plan last night! Glad to hear it's someone else's too! :happy:
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    my standby quick snack is 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, I add a spoon on Jello sugar free cheesecake pudding mix, and a couple of splenda packet. It tastes like the filling of a cheescake. Low fat cheese sticks are good too. WeightWatcher's has a brand with only 50 calories per stick and 6gms of protein.

I also keep pre-cooked frozen chicken and frozen precooked and preseasoned fish. These help on those days that I don't get home until late or my family is having a high carb meal.

I thought greek yogurt was high carb and high fat? I shall investigate my local supermarket! Thanks! :laugh:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. It you want some sweetness, add blueberries and stevia herb extract to sweeten!
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Nuts
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    chicken. fish like swai.
    beef jerkey.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Starkist Selects Very Low Sodium Tuna,I drain it and eat it right out of the can. So good.
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I also use the Atkins bars and shakes to get in those extra calories BUT very low carb!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is great.. The sugery ones have all the carbs.

I personally don't like bars of any kind b/.c they are still processed food

I love nuts, avacado, tuna, and eggs when I need extra cals And a little 85% dark chocolate is awesome. Low in carbs and sugary and high in antioxidents.

I love making mini quiches in foil muffin wrappers. Beat eggs together, add bacon, ham, spenach, bell pepper nad a little parmesian cheese (or really whatever you like in an oimlet) pour into cups filling about 2/3 full bake for 20 min at 350degrees

These can be frozen and microwaved for a quick snack.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you're trying to do both low carb and low fat?

That's going to get a bit difficult eventually as your food selections will be very limited.

At any rate, you're going to want protein sources. I'd opt for chicken breast, white fish as some go-to choices.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you're trying to do both low carb and low fat?

That's going to get a bit difficult eventually as your food selections will be very limited.

Ditto. You can't eliminate everything from your diet. There are many fats that are very good for you- nuts, nut butters, avocados, certain oils...I am not sure why you are avoiding fats but the "low fat diet" of the 1980s-90s is pretty much the wrong way to go.
  • KC5ZRQ
    KC5ZRQ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "I can't find a low fat and low carb real food version of something to eat!"

Why are you trying to do low fat and low carb? I'm not sure you understand how a 'Low-Carbohydrate' diet works. Fat is good for you. There is NO such thing as 'good fat' or 'bad fat.' Almost ALL fat is good for you (possible exception is man-made trans-fats, but those are almost always found in high-carb foods).

When your body goes into ketosis it needs to convert fat to glucose and ketones to supply energy for your body and your brain. You must eat high fat when you go on a low-carb diet. If you supply your body with fat and deprive it of carbohydrates, you WILL lose weight, even if you consume high-calories. Eventually as your weight comes closer to the normal range, then you will have to reduce calories to continue losing weight.
  • Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I will eat your extra calories for you, I have no trouble getting in the calories LOL. Greek God's Honey flavored Yogurt 160 calories for 4 ounce, 10 g fat, 4 grams of protein, 15 G carbs, and it tastes so good, I might like it as much as icecream! Just eat high protein high vegis high fruit, and then once in a while have something with fat or carbs. That's what works for me, not to exclude any food, but to have a smaller portion or just a taste, that's a life style change not a diet, I feel like I can eat what ever I want as long as I count the calories, but keeping in mind I feel more full and have more energy if I get more protein and things move through me better and I feel more full, when I eat my vegies.