Starvation Mode

Options
Doesn't really exist. Read this, it will clear things up for you.

http://barbellsandbeakers.com/post/17828093330/if-you-eat-below-your-caloric-needs-your-body-goes

Key point - the reason why you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories is not because your body will hold onto fat, it won't, you will lose weight, the reason you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day is because you need energy to live! It's completely unsustainable and no your body will not hold onto fat and your metabolic rate will most likely not decrease, but I would find it impossible not to have massive binges every few days and feel ****e about it. Most importantly for me, I would have no energy for exercise.

I eat below my BMR because my BMR is low - on average I eat about 1300 cals a day, and that's fine for me, I still have energy to exercise and I don't feel crappy at the end of the day. Nor do I crave sugary foods as much as before (but that's more to do with cutting out sugar). So don't worry if you're eating below your BMR, your body will let you know if you are not eating enough.

Replies

• Aleccarr
    Aleccarr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    interesting; thanks for the link.

alec
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well I was eating around 800-1200 calories a day for 1.5 years. I lost weight and lost a lot of muscle with it. After losing 150 lbs, working out 6 days a week, feeling completely worn out , and not losing anymore fat I upped my calorie in take to a healthier level (wish i had done that from the beginning). My body DEFINITELY told me the too low cal diet wasn't working for me. The transition to a few hundred more calories a day was tough on my body and though I still work out 6 days a week and still eat below if not around my BMR I did gain about 10-15 lbs.(not muslce you don't develop muscle that quickly.. pretty much ever). I've been sticking with it and after about a month-month and a half my body is FINALLY starting to respond again.
    You can find a billion articles anywhere to support any theory really. It does make sense that you're body adapts to work more efficiently. Our bodies are meant for survival and if it means surviving on less it will make it work, however, it DOES and I know from experience freak out when you change anything. If you drastically cut calories you will lose weight for a time your body is used to running on more. If you eat more it won't process it as quickly it's used to running on less. It does take a little time to adjust, but eventually your body can adjust to anything.
    The key in general is listen to what your body is telling you. Calories in calories out doesn't work. Everyone's body is different. If what you're doing isn't working change it. If it's working then great you've got it figured out.
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I get so frustrated with all the Do's and Don'ts of dieting. I start something and then people say " oh dont do that you'll DIE" and then I try something else and someone says " oh dont do that you'll loose all your muscle and somehow the 150 pounds of fat on you will be all thats left!" I sit here with 3 egg whites and a half an orange in one bowl and a bowl of cheerios and skim milk in the other wondering what the hell to eat. LOL! It just gets frustrating, I just know the 260 pounds that I am isnt healthy either....
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I've seen the starvation mode concept debated here in many threads. I don't intend to test out what happens to my body if I don't eat enough to sustain my daily needs and activities. I tend to enjoy having enough energy to move, walk, breathe, and have a heartbeat.
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i agree with there are debates on both sides of this matter. i just listen to my MD who says, "eat healthy & exercise". not a difficult concept, just make better choices & listen to YOUR body (it will tell you what to do).
  • phiddy23
    phiddy23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I agree pretty much with what all of you have said, I wasn't saying that starvation mode doesn't exist therefore you should eat ~1000 calories a day, I was kinda actually saying the opposite. We should eat enough that we have energy and aren't completely destroying our muscles, but I'm just sick of people using this 'starvation mode' as the reason instead of pure common sense. I also feel a bit weird about seeing people's food diaries where they have eaten back all of their exercise calories by basically eating crap just out of fear of 'starvation mode' - it doesn't make any sense! Especially if you are really overweight / obese and have a lot of weight to lose.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I agree pretty much with what all of you have said, I wasn't saying that starvation mode doesn't exist therefore you should eat ~1000 calories a day, I was kinda actually saying the opposite. We should eat enough that we have energy and aren't completely destroying our muscles, but I'm just sick of people using this 'starvation mode' as the reason instead of pure common sense. I also feel a bit weird about seeing people's food diaries where they have eaten back all of their exercise calories by basically eating crap just out of fear of 'starvation mode' - it doesn't make any sense! Especially if you are really overweight / obese and have a lot of weight to lose.

I don't use my exercise cals for icecream because I am worried about starvation mode. I eat icecream because I <3 icecream.
  • Rawrbyn
    Rawrbyn Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i agree with there are debates on both sides of this matter. i just listen to my MD who says, "eat healthy & exercise". not a difficult concept, just make better choices & listen to YOUR body (it will tell you what to do).

I would never listen to an MD about weight loss. They're pretty much idiots. Plus, eating healthy is objective. Okay....MD says to eat healthy...WHAT is healthy? I think that's where the debate lies.

I have found that fasting once or twice a week for 24 hours helps me. I can eat 1800-2000 calories every other day, and I'm losing weight. No, I'm not losing muscle. I am strength training 3 times a week, and I keep seeing more definition. I feel amazing.

So.....to each his/her own!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I get so frustrated with all the Do's and Don'ts of dieting. I start something and then people say " oh dont do that you'll DIE" and then I try something else and someone says " oh dont do that you'll loose all your muscle and somehow the 150 pounds of fat on you will be all thats left!" I sit here with 3 egg whites and a half an orange in one bowl and a bowl of cheerios and skim milk in the other wondering what the hell to eat. LOL! It just gets frustrating, I just know the 260 pounds that I am isnt healthy either....

Eat sensibly, log your food and drink, stick to your calorie allotment, do your exercise.

Does it work for you? If yes, stick to it, regardless as to what other people profess is the be all and end all of losing weight.

Rule of thumb: Never try to fix something that is not broken.

Many people come onto MFP, do very well and then because of all the "info" on the forums, they figure they must be doing it wrong and then go and change it all! Why?? It was working, regardless how some people said it would not or they would plateau later on.

Hell, worry about now, not later on, deal with that plateau (if it ever appears) when you come to it, do try to cross that bridge before you actually set foot on it, you will fall in the water :laugh:

Seriously, if it works for you, stick with it, if it doesn't work for you, change something within it.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is a myth and one I ignore, I eat well below my BMR, I have energy, I lose weight and I am happy.. So why change what I'm doing. Thanks for posting this :)
  • MumMumOfMany
    MumMumOfMany Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with Nikki, i hardly ever meet my calorie goal but i eat 3 meals and snack and continue to lose at a steady speed plus exercise 5-7 times a week so why change wot i know works?x
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with Nikki, i hardly ever meet my calorie goal but i eat 3 meals and snack and continue to lose at a steady speed plus exercise 5-7 times a week so why change wot i know works?x

^ ^ ^ speaks much sense :D xoxo
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've done very low calorie diets many times in the past. Every single time I would give up and gain all the weight (plus a little more for good measure) back. I don't particularly care what anyone else does, but I refuse to starve my body (I'm not debating starvation mode, I'm simply stating that I won't neglect my body of the proper nutrition that it needs) to lose weight ever again. I currently maintain my weight by consuming 2300-2500 NET calories a day. I also know that I can easily lose weight by consuming 2100-2200 NET calories -- why on earth would I want to try and not only survive but function, live and enjoy myself on 1200 calories? Ridiculous.

And quite honestly, I'll use my exercise calories for whatever I please.. what's it to anyone else what I'm eating? THAT is the reason I keep my food diary private because people think they know what is best for everyone else.

Worry about what YOU are doing and don't fret if someone is using their exercise calories for ice cream. Their body. Their weight loss. Butt out.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Having never been much into calories I now largely believe everything is calories in/ calories out = surplus, deficient

Also having done some 1000 cal diets, that fail, I will never eat more than 500 under my maintain for fear of muscle loss (which has happened on 1000 cal diets)

Currently I'm more into Macros... Trying zero carb, which puts my fat up to a scary level. However, the theory here that lack of carbs for excercise energy meant you body goes directly to fat does seem to be working at the moment (though the jury is out)
  • deepfuture
    deepfuture Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would have tought it was nonsence before too untill i reduced my cals to 1000 , 1100 a day and started running 50 - 60 k a week .. I DIDN'T LOSE any weight for 2 weeks .. Frustrated with the diet i decided to up my intake and say "well whats the point thats about the best i can do". After thats weight started falling off again .. Strange one .
  • phiddy23
    Options
    I've done very low calorie diets many times in the past. Every single time I would give up and gain all the weight (plus a little more for good measure) back. I don't particularly care what anyone else does, but I refuse to starve my body (I'm not debating starvation mode, I'm simply stating that I won't neglect my body of the proper nutrition that it needs) to lose weight ever again. I currently maintain my weight by consuming 2300-2500 NET calories a day. I also know that I can easily lose weight by consuming 2100-2200 NET calories -- why on earth would I want to try and not only survive but function, live and enjoy myself on 1200 calories? Ridiculous.

And quite honestly, I'll use my exercise calories for whatever I please.. what's it to anyone else what I'm eating? THAT is the reason I keep my food diary private because people think they know what is best for everyone else.

Worry about what YOU are doing and don't fret if someone is using their exercise calories for ice cream. Their body. Their weight loss. Butt out.

You're pretty much just saying what I was saying! My point was that I choose to eat 1300 minimum and to not do an extreme diet not because of 'starvation mode' but because I know it's bad for me, I won't have enough energy and I will give up quickly.

As for butting out, fair enough, I can understand not wanting other people to judge your diary, I keep mine public because it motivates me to know that other people can see it, and I welcome any advice on it. I'm not judging people for eating how they want to eat, if you check out my diary for the last few days you'll see that I have had ice cream every night :( but what I am criticising is people who actively preach eating crap back in order just to gain back exercise calories when it isn't really necessary - essentially people who mislead others. I was just posting that as a precaution that people should educate themselves before taking the advice of others (so this whole thread is a bit of a paradox)
  • phiddy23
    Options
    I would have tought it was nonsence before too untill i reduced my cals to 1000 , 1100 a day and started running 50 - 60 k a week .. I DIDN'T LOSE any weight for 2 weeks .. Frustrated with the diet i decided to up my intake and say "well whats the point thats about the best i can do". After thats weight started falling off again .. Strange one .

That is really interesting, I suppose it might have been because your body thought it was at an optimal weight so it was trying to conserve energy rather than use it up? But that still doesn't really explain it. Lucky you that you got to eat more though
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

Eat sensibly, log your food and drink, stick to your calorie allotment, do your exercise.

Does it work for you? If yes, stick to it, regardless as to what other people profess is the be all and end all of losing weight.

Rule of thumb: Never try to fix something that is not broken.

Many people come onto MFP, do very well and then because of all the "info" on the forums, they figure they must be doing it wrong and then go and change it all! Why?? It was working, regardless how some people said it would not or they would plateau later on.

Hell, worry about now, not later on, deal with that plateau (if it ever appears) when you come to it, do try to cross that bridge before you actually set foot on it, you will fall in the water :laugh:

Seriously, if it works for you, stick with it, if it doesn't work for you, change something within it.

Beautifully said. This is what I try to explain to people who want to try new diets. To lose weight you need to cut calories - that's how your body works. How you do that should come down to what works for you. Of course trying to meet your macro and micronutrient goals is quite important, but deprivation diets don't work because people can't stick to them in the long term. People are impatient in the weight loss game though, and want to try the quick fix way rather than make the adjustments that are sustainable but probably will lead to a more gradual weight loss.