Zumba & calories burned

Options
SDMS
SDMS Posts: 36 Member
I took my first Zumba class yesterday and LOVED it!

I don't know what the enter in my excercise log, so I put the "dance, excercise, etc" for an hour. It calculated 397 calories via MFP. However, that cannot be correct since I was sweating my butt off!

What is the average amount of calories burned or how can I find out?

Thanks.

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I've taken Zumba at lots of different places, and they vary a lot. Best bet is to get a HRM, but if that is out for now here is what I've found. Most of these numbers were figured when I was ~ 150 lbs.

Lower intensity class - takes a few minutes after each song for drinks, songs range from medium to fast pace, moves are low impact (no jumping) I burned about 8-10 cals/min. 1 hour ~ 450- 550 (10 minutes warm-up/cool down & 50 body of class)

Moderate intensity class - breaks after each song, but all songs are quick with a lot of jumping or speed work, I burned closer to 10 -12 cals per minute. 1 hour = 550- 650 (10 minutes warm-up/cool down & 50 body of class)

High intensity class - breaks once or twice and keeps it high paced with lots of jumping and quick movement, I was 12 - 14 cals per min. 1 hour = 650-750 (10 minutes warm-up/cool down & 50 body of class).

Enjoy!
  • roxerella
    roxerella Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would have thought around 400 calories for an hours class is about right. I have only just started using a HRM and haven't used it in Zumba yet (Class is tomorrow) But I have used it in Step, Body Conditioning, Spin and Aerobics. I burn between 350-450 calories during an hours class and I work pretty hard. I am interested to see what my calorie burn is in Zumba but I'm sure it wont be more than Spin which was 450.

I'll update you tomorrow after my class. Of course it will vary depending on your stats.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    I would have thought around 400 calories for an hours class is about right. I have only just started using a HRM and haven't used it in Zumba yet (Class is tomorrow) But I have used it in Step, Body Conditioning, Spin and Aerobics. I burn between 350-450 calories during an hours class and I work pretty hard. I am interested to see what my calorie burn is in Zumba but I'm sure it wont be more than Spin which was 450.

I'll update you tomorrow after my class. Of course it will vary depending on your stats.

Just curious is your spin class and hour or 45 mins? For spin I'm somewhere around 700-800 for an hour with my HRM. I know we're all different and I'm a bit crazy when I exercise, so I'm not truing to be critical it just may help put our calorie info in perspective for this post.
  • roxerella
    Options
    I Spin 4 times a week. 2 of the classes are 45 mins, and 2 are an hour. I burn 450 in an hour. I have been Spinning 4 times a week for quite some time though, so maybe my body has adjusted. I work hard, drip with sweat and go full pelt, with resistance up, but I struggle to get my heart rate over 145. My resting heart rate is around 66 bpm.
  • BeachyBecky
    BeachyBecky Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try zumbacalories.com and then you can enter in manually. Love zumba!
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    Look at zumbacalories.com and it will give you a pretty good estimate.
  • E_K71
    E_K71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator , i found it on this site on another post :happy:

http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! Before I got my hrm, I used http://www.zumbacalories.com/ to estimate how much I burned. I like that it has different intensity levels.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been going to Zumba, several times/week, for over a year now. I sweat hard and burn between 800-900 calories, 60 min.....

LOVE ME SOME ZUMBA!

Gayle
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    I Spin 4 times a week. 2 of the classes are 45 mins, and 2 are an hour. I burn 450 in an hour. I have been Spinning 4 times a week for quite some time though, so maybe my body has adjusted. I work hard, drip with sweat and go full pelt, with resistance up, but I struggle to get my heart rate over 145. My resting heart rate is around 66 bpm.

That's pretty amazing, great job! My HR is crazy high when I workout, resting HR is good though. Best of luck, keep riding!
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    welcome to ZUMBA - it totally rocks! I have the DVD and the game for Wii -- and on average the 20 minute express I burn 200-225 calories, double for 45 minutes would put you at 400-45, of course this is depending like another responding said - on the intensity. The more you are moving the more calories you are burning.

Definitely migh tbe worthwhile to invest in an HRM bc I have found the system generated calories are sometimes grossly over(or under)stated. In the meantime just HAVE FUN and enjoy ZUMBA - Isnt it the absolute BEST?
  • roxerella
    Options
    Oh my god, I will be well stoked if my HRM says I burn anything like the calories you ladies seem to be able to burn in Zumba! Tomorrow's class can't come soon enough!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to see what you post tomorrow. I think you will LOVE the calories you use in Zumba.

And there are always little things you can do when you get comfortable with the song/routine that will help boost your calorie count.

How you hold you arm up. Instead of just putting it up, twist your arm so that the palm of your hand faces away from you (toward the wall). You also work your tricept at the same time.

Be on your tippy toes as much as possible. Not everything can be done on tippy toes, but from the 18-22 instructors I have tried, easily 80% can be on your toes.

Whatever part of the body your are working on that song, accentuate it FAR MORE than usual. (well, I don't accentuate much in the "arm" song cuz just doing the movements get me enough on that one.) If you are working the stomach, make your stomach tense while doing the workout. If you are doing legs, squat slightly at first, then gradually squat further down.

This one is kinda hard to explain, but do a jumping jack when changing from one side to another. Or hop instead of just turning to the other side.

When doing standing crunches, lean back while doing the crunches.

Soooooo many other things you can do to continually increase the calorie burn.

But PLEASE post what your HRM says!
  • SDMS
    SDMS Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I went on zumbacalories.com and looked at the different levels and calories burned at at specific level.
    Yesterday, I was able to talk during the class (a little out of breath, but could still talk a bit) so I choose the "mid" intensity... it stated that I had burned 654 calories!!!

OMG!!!!

Thats awesome, and I am hooked on zumba now.
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    I love Zumba too! I have had an "enforced rest period" of ten months due to broken bones and other health issues, but I went back to class last week. As I am well out of practice, and was under doctor's orders to "start slowly" I logged it as "Aerobics, general" at 350 calories, but zumbacalories.com has just estimated 430! I suppose it all depends, and the only way to be sure is to use a HRM!
    Class tonight, can't wait! Zumba is the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on!! lol
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Depends how high impact it is.. I normally burn 600-750 in an hour
  • ilovepanda4ever
    Options
    depends on your height &weight &also depend in your intensity , you can burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories.

heres a website that might help http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • roxerella
    Options
    Update as promised. Just finished a one hour class and according to my HRM I burned 448 calories. This is pretty much what I expected. I jumped for all the jumps and was dripping with sweat to the point that I could literally ring my vest out at the end.

Amazing that some people can burn 800 plus, but I know I can't.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I sweat my butt off everytime. But I can't imagine that I come anywhere near that. I estimated about 500 and thats going hard at medium intensity. i jump, bounce, do all the moves as good as i can. All the power to the ladies who can keep up with high intensity Zumba. either way, its just so fun I dont even think about how many calories I am burning.