need advice

Options
Ok, I know the scale shouldn't have that great of importance but I still would like to lose another 30-35lbs. I gained back 2 lbs this week and I am not sure why, my food is open to look at and I go to the gym 3 days a week (heavy work schedule, wish I had more time to go more) I do cardio 2 days and I have been taking a group strength class (lifting weights) once a week. I know it could be muscle gain but will I get back on track to losing again? I was losing a lb a week and have been doing the weight class for about 4 weeks now. All of a sudden I feel like I am at a stand still. Any suggestions and please.. .be nice. Thanks! :sad:

Replies

• karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    anybody?
  • AllieB
    AllieB Posts: 73
    Options
    Hey Girl! I know the feeling I went through a stage where I was hoping on the scale once a day and it was driving me nuts but I like to know where I stand. After i reached my 5% goal I made a promise to myself that I would only get on the scale once a week because that is what your supposed to do. Anyway my weight would always be good through the week and after the weekend it would be awful. I think that it is just essential that you drink 8 glasses of water a day and that you give yourself a break. If you are eating well and working out then the answer no one wants to hear (especially myslef) is it just takes time. I have got to the point where I am losing about a pound a week, but I think that is good because I am more likely to keep it off the slower it goes then as fast as it could go. Stay to your plan and give it time. Your body differs every week just rememeber that and keep up the good work!
  • karendsmith
    Options
    i hope so. I drink tons of water a day and I only drink water...
  • saiabone
    saiabone Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain I need to lose around the same amount and I feel like I am at a stop and is very discouraging : ( keep it up though your body will love you for it!
  • karendsmith
    Options
    thanks, hope I can kick it up again soon. I will hang in there though b/cuz I do feel better and look better than before I started.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    These may all be things you have already considered but......Depending on how much you have lost, you may need to readjust (ie lower) your calorie intake goals. Keep an eye on your sodium levels and make sure you they are not too high. If you can incorporate some harder/faster intervals into your cardio workouts that would help, as well as experimenting with different activities types of exercises. Try to increase your strength training to at least two, preferably three times a week. I didn't see that your diary was open to hard to give any specific feedback on that.
    Keep in mind, it took a long time to put the weight on, it's going to take long time for it all to come off. Think of it as a complete lifestyle change, celebrate what you've done so far, and keep at it. It will happen.
  • dinayeley
    dinayeley Posts: 6
    Options
    Your workouts may need you to eat a little more calories and you should see the lbs fall out again......lifting wts burns a lot and our bodies needs more fuel......strange huh we need to eat more to lose weight....crazy
    Hope this helped..... good luck
  • saiabone
    saiabone Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ya I can see the lose in my face and not too much anywhere else and the scale ALWAYS makes me mad because I feel like I should have lost more and didn't. Did you measure yourself when you started? That made me feel a bit better when I was upset.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Everybody's journey has weight ups and downs. It's the nature of the beast. Don't panic.

Unless you actually ate 7000 calories more than your maintenance calories, then it's just water.

There are a ton of reasons why we retain water. Time of the month. Increased activity level. Food and or water in the belly. Increased sodium. Stress. lack of sleep.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know the scale shouldn't have that great of importance but I still would like to lose another 30-35lbs. I gained back 2 lbs this week and I am not sure why, my food is open to look at and I go to the gym 3 days a week (heavy work schedule, wish I had more time to go more) I do cardio 2 days and I have been taking a group strength class (lifting weights) once a week. I know it could be muscle gain but will I get back on track to losing again? I was losing a lb a week and have been doing the weight class for about 4 weeks now. All of a sudden I feel like I am at a stand still. Any suggestions and please.. .be nice. Thanks! :sad:
    Weight loss isn't linear. Doing the same exact thing won't always net the same results. I'm more than sure you didn't gain muscle (practically impossible to do on calorie deficit) so it's just water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • karendsmith
    Options
    true. I might have some water weight since it is that time of, I did mesure myself in several weeks ago and my neasurements are abt the same although my body is taking a better shape. thanks for the input.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Two pounds is nothing. I can go up two pounds in a day curse you chicken jalfrezi.

Be patient. Log carefully. Follow the green numbers strictly. Dont cheat.

MFP really really works, hang in there. When.you get to your calorie goal but you are still snacky, do anything else. Walk. Go to bed early. Google stuff you will never buy. Clean out your sock drawer. Drink hot water. Drink cold water. Chat all over this forum. Start that novel but what ever you do follow the green numbers. They work. Hundreds of people on here know that they work, and they will work for you.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ohhhh, never weigh yourself during your period. It always goes up, and it will always go back down. Not worth the frustration.
  • karendsmith
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Doing the same exact thing won't always net the same results. I'm more than sure you didn't gain muscle (practically impossible to do on calorie deficit) so it's just water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

what would you suggest???