Ok, Now I Am A Believer

Options
For years I had heard all the stuff encouraging regular exercise like the following and never quite believed it:

If you exercise you'll have more energy. Me: No, I'll just be tired

If you exercise you'll sleep better Me: Yeah, because I'll be exhausted

If you exercise you'll have fewer aches and pains Me: No, I'll have more of them

Ok, I have only been doing all of this for a couple of months now and have a long way to go, but this morning I realized that all of that stuff is true because I am starting (just starting mind you) to experience it for myself.

A couple of months ago the idea of skipping the elevator and taking the stairs was an absurd one to me. I haven't used the elevator once since I checked into a second floor room of this hotel day before yesterday. And you know what? It hasn't bothered me a bit. I can actually go up the stairs easily and without getting even a little bit tired or winded.

I find that I actually do feel like I have more energy now. Somehow I don't quite feel "old" like I always did just a few short weeks ago. When I walked out this morning to go get breakfast it wasn't with a tired, grudging "ok I have to make myself walk now" but was with a nice brisk step, enjoying the feel of the morning air, and a bit of a spring in my step. Been a long time since I have felt that way in the morning. I really don't have that chronic tired feeling I always had.

I have really been sleeping very well lately. Not as much tossing and turning trying to get comfortable. I actually wake feeling rested in the morning.

I am also not waking to a chorus of aches and pains, well, at least not as much. My bum hip still bothers me some but even that seems to be much less. I had actually expected it to hurt a lot worse with all of the walking, and it did at first. Now it actually seems to be easing up a bit and feels more loose, less stiff.

I still have a long road ahead of me both in weight loss and in fitness, but it's a start and the fact that I am feeling some positive effects only encourages me to continue on that road. As laughable as it may seem to me now, I can actually picture myself running in a few months; a thought that would have seemed impossible to me just a few weeks ago.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Isn't it great!

I feel better in my mid fifties than I did all the way though my forties, both physically and mentally.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Just wait till you have to pass it on to someone else and they tell you the same thing! People have to actually experience it to believe it I guess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely fantastic! Of course you've got a long way to go still, but now you're starting to see the benefits you'll be that much more motivated.

Keeping active is much the best thing. I've had trouble for years with shoulder pain, and over time I've learnt that actually the best thing to do is use it, actually weightlifting in the gym. It's counterintuitive because it hurts, but if I work out regularly it eases off and is much better overall.

Look forward to seeing where we are in 3 months time!
  • dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Makes it all worth it!
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    Good for you! I am glad to here that everything is working out for you also. It is nice to hear the positives of working out even if you are just beginning. Here is to the best days yet :drinker:
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    It is oh, so true!! You are doing a fantastic job!! All of the changes, regardless if they are major or just little bitty baby changes are just that... CHANGES!! And they are all for the better!! So PROUD of you for sticking with it!!!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    great post! :) Keep going, it even gets better. :)
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Those little discoveries are what helps me keep going!! Thanks for the reminder!! Keep up the good work!!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    NSV

I feel so much better when I exercise
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Awesome!! just awesome!!! glad that you see the "light" and have found a way to join in on the true fountain of youth.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the positive comments and encouragement, it really does help.
  • zontuin
    zontuin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post. I can relate, and it's inspiring to hear. So happy to hear you're feeling better, physically, mentally and emotionally. Life is good!!!! Enjoy. Have a brilliant day!
  • sailorsiren13
    sailorsiren13 Posts: 460
    Options
    I love hearing this from you...I only wish my own dad had taken better care of himself he was the example of what not to do and we lost him so young. Now i fight the good fight. I am happy to be on this journey with you and can't wait to hear more revelations from you.:smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    And you have new shoes. How great is your life?
  • Ildiko17
    Ildiko17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I know that it felt great when my daughter told me that she noticed a difference in my energy level and that I now want to be more and more active. It really does feel great :happy:
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As a professional driver, you have a more difficult time. It isn't always easy sticking to a workout schedule when you are traveling all the time! Good for you! You are 100% right though. Exercise has made me feel better, less tired (I don't even drink coffee in the mornings now), and I sleep a lot better! Thanks for posting.
  • KnotKnut
    KnotKnut Posts: 4
    Options
    I just found this website and am joining you all. I will be walking out for my first time around the block. Thanks for all your encouraging and motivating posts. Please wish me luck. Over 150 lbs to lose...that's another person! I should be getting twice as much done everyday with 2 people! :happy:
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your amazing motivation. I also have to agree it's so much easier to do things now!
  • LoriA6724
    LoriA6724 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the motivation I needed today! I've been struggling with exercise. I know I will feel so much better once I make it a part of my daily schedule. I need to make myself find time for it.