Bleeding Nipples

Options

Replies

• ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    Have you tried blister bandages? Made for sweaty feet and also made so they don't come off easily. Might need something to help remove the super sticky adhesive afterward (Goo gone? lol), but they work.
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    A miracle cure is the cream they use on cows udders. No joke. Ask a vet. That **** is awesome.

It is called bagbalm and you are right it is the sh**! Not sure how to prevent but it will definitely help with healing. Can find in any drug store.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    use lansinoh to put on after to heal. it was a miracle when nursing!!
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I wear a rash guard when I go surfing. That should take care of the problem. You can buy them at any Sporting Goods shop (in California)
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This may sound really daft but my other half does this and it works for him.
    Have you tried th nipple cream in the chemists that are for mums breastfeeding? I think its in a yellow tube called camisole?
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My buddy had the same problem... went with an under armor compression shirt, and it worked like a charm. They're wicking, so they keep you cooler as well. :-)
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use Chamois Butter which is what i use cycling on my man parts. I also put it on my nips bk i have the same problem and even if im sweating it doesn't wear off.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Man, did that hurt when I took up jogging a few years and quite a few pounds ago!

Compression shirt for the win. But if you don't have one, you can improvise a pretty good "man-bra" with an ACE bandage. Anything that keeps the sweaty shirt from rubbing against the tender bits is good.

I also found that cotton, once it gets sweaty and wet, is really your worst enemy. Look for a breathable synthetic.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If what you are putting on now has lanolin in it, you could be sensitive to it and it could cause more problems. Vasoline and Lanolin really irritate my skin and cause more issues than they solve. Have you tried something like the nu-skin on it? There are water-proof bandaids that are almost like a gel - those stay on great and would stop the rubbing too.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Or maybe there are Feeding mothers who have discovered a wonder cure for bleeding and cracked nipples other than paw paw cream??

Please share!!
    I don't know if I would call myself a feeding mother but you can try lanolin http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-10020-Lansinoh®-HPA®-Lanolin/dp/B000BUQO6S/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336573265&sr=1-2 It helps with cracked nipples. Also you might want to see a dr. I'm pretty sure that unless you are wearing sandpaper you should not have bleeding nipples. It could be a sign of something more serious. Men can get breast cancer too. I know that is a sign and women are told if your nipples bleed and you are not nursing you should see your dr.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Bleeding Nipples, great name for a rock and roll band
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    May want to try liquid band aids for healing. Its kind of like super glue. Will seal out moisture and protect from infection. Wears off by itself after a few days and is water resistant for sweat and showers. I would think that it would rub against your shirt while running though so if you use it you may want to run with a compression shirt or let it heal before running again.
  • Daliahl
    Daliahl Posts: 1
    Options
    Try the monistat anti-chaffing cream... works well for inner thighs!
  • wildcatpilot
    Options
    Body glide. Also, you can use Nu-Skin (I think Band-Aid makes it). It is basically a glue type healing cover that goes on wet and dries clear. I used it for the last marathon I ran.
  • curlygirly80
    curlygirly80 Posts: 176
    Options
    Ok, I used to use Vaseline and it worked. Lately for some reason, I have one nipple which just keeps on bleeding every time I go on a long run.

.....And you know how it stings when you get in the shower afterwards! And then when it starts healing, you get itchy and keep scratching your chest!.....

I will try tape or a band aid but Im not confident it will stick and stay during the run.

Has anyone found a particular fabric which helps protect from this problem? Or maybe there are Feeding mothers who have discovered a wonder cure for bleeding and cracked nipples other than paw paw cream??

Please share!!

Sounds really odd for me to give this advice to a guy, but they sell lanolin cream or AKA Nipple Butter in most store. It helps with chaffed nipps on nursing moms. I assume you can use it too. Just don't run and tell your friends they may think oddly of you! :blushing:
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Technical shirts dude. My hubby was having the same issue...and he switched to a dry wicking shrt...even the off brand. And that made the difference. Make sure you heal them with neosporin or lanolin.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    and here I thought it was just me... I have this issue too, when it's warm I usually just wear a tshirt, but then the sweat coupled with the breeze causes a sandpaper rubfest like no other, I'm glad I found this thread.. I usually just threw on a light jacket and ran with that
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    Oh God. This is a normal thing? Oh jeez I'm really scared to start running now. :sick:

It's fairly normal, but doesn't happen to EVERYONE.

When I started running, I had a case of FMS (Floppy Manboob Syndrome) and the nipples got REALLY tender. But I was also wearing loose cotton t-shirts in a vain and ineffective attempt to hide the moobs, and when the cotton got wet I was basically sanding the skin off.

A compression shirt (or an improvised man-bra made out of an ace bandage, or a couple of band-aids, or ANYTHING that cuts down on the rubbing) makes a huge difference. It's also amazing how much more confident you are running when you don't have moobs bouncing around. I seriously considered an "a"-cup sports bra for a while, but the ACE bandage was a lot more subtle under my thick t-shirts.

Vaseline works because it cuts the friction between moobs and cotton. An actual barrier, or eliminating the rubbing entirely, will be far more effective.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    and here I thought it was just me... I have this issue too, when it's warm I usually just wear a tshirt, but then the sweat coupled with the breeze causes a sandpaper rubfest like no other, I'm glad I found this thread.. I usually just threw on a light jacket and ran with that

"Cotton Kills!"

I hear it in hiking, I hear it in ocean sports, I hear it in cycling, and I'm starting to think it's true of running as well.

Cotton is my favorite material for sitting here on my *kitten* in the office (though I wear only wool socks now, because cotton really messes up my feet!). It's also great for low-impact exercise in temperature-controlled areas. Other than that, I'm really starting to lean more in the direction of modern synthetics.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I breastfed my oldest. First off buy some saline solution. Soak the nipple for about 1 minute then pat dry. Apply a layer of Lanolin based ointment to it afterwards. You can get a tube of Lansinoh at Walmart, Kmart, Target or pretty much anywhere even some supermarkets have it for around 9 bucks.