Clean housekeeping for better metabolism????

Options
I picked up Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism yesterday from th library. I was glad I didn't buy it because I already eat the way she is talking about. But the stuff about your enviroment was new to me! I think I spoke too soon, I have heard that these things were bad for the enviroment and our bodies, but to think they are keeping me FAT!!!!! All of my food storage containers are plastic, my pots and pans- teflon, soaps- antibacterial, and I buy commercial cleaners too!

I got the book because I'm sure my metabolism is screwed up. 21 years of anorexia and bulimia plus 15 years of anti-depressants and recently 2 years of steroids are mainly to blame. I eat as clean as I can afford to for most of the time. I'm pretty active, but I'm sure I can up my activity if I could get some energy. I'm off all medications and for a minute I thought I was pretty natural. Enter Jillian Michaels---there is alot more I can be doing and I am starting NOW!

I'm tight on cash for a little while longer, so I have to go slow. Replacing dishes later, but first I can start with my housekeeping.

Have you read this book? What did you think and how did you apply it to your life? Can anybody share some "Clean" housekeeping tips, recipes, etc.?

Thanks
Holly:flowerforyou:

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is good to clean just about anything. I've used it for mopping, spot cleaning carpets. I hear it works in the clothes washer and to clean windows(with newspaper and its streak free). I'm not sure there's much you can't clean with vinegar.

Also, for drain clogs, hot water and a plunger works just fine. I let the water get hot and let it sit on the clog for a little while depending on the clog. Then, use your plunger on the drain. It works.
  • Scubachick
    Options
    I am guilty of using a lot of plastic containers too - although I had heard its really bad - especially if heated (like I always do with the microwave).

Bread soda or Baking soda is mighty stuff! It can be used for everything from bleaching teeth to unblocking drains. A scoop in the laundry to keep whites white, remove stains and soften fabrics - a scoop in the toilet bowel to keep it white - a scoop in the bottom of a bin to keep it smelling fresh. A scoop in your bath water to make it soft.

Washing soda is a bit harsher (in that its not edible like bread soda is!) can be used in a similar manener.

I usually combine the above with essential oils like Tea Tree or Lavender - both of which have great anti-microbial properties and smell nice.

If you google "natural cleaning products" there are lots of "recepies" for cleaning using household stuff: http://housekeeping.about.com/cs/environment/a/alternateclean.htm

Just to freak you out more, watch out for all the chemicals in beauty products. Some have nano-particles which pass right through the skin pores into the blood stream directly. Some contain lots of parabens, which are carcinogenic.
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    Baking soda. I have white counter tops. I shake a little baking soda (out of the box in the freezer or fridge) on the counters to whiten them. Also, use it on the tub/shower. (Well, now I have Merry Maids so they use whatever they want.)

You can't hardly buy soap anymore that's not antibacterial.
  • amicklin
    Options
    What is the problem with plastic containers?
  • Luludog1
    Options

Yeah, i would like to know this too
  • Scubachick
    Options
    Well, I'm not really 100% up on all of this - its just various newspaper articles I have read over the years. From what I understand, the chemicals in the plastic can seep into your food - especially if the plastic is warmed. Cling film is really bad too. There was also a lot of controversy about plastic baby bottles and companies are starting to make "BPA" free bottles.

Have a read of this: http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/17/914073.aspx
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I usually combine the above with essential oils like Tea Tree or Lavender - both of which have great anti-microbial properties and smell nice.

At the risk of sounding preachy (I swear I'm just trying to be informative), I would like to add a disclaimer that if you have cats, please don't use tea tree oil (or any essential oil before research) in their environment. Cats cannot efficiently metabolize substances present in certain essential oils (including Tea Tree oil). These substances (terpenes & others) build up in the cat's body since they are so slow to be metabolized in the cat's system. This means that they are not efficiently excreted by the body and can accumulate in soft tissues and vital organs. Over a period of time, the substances can reach toxic levels which can cause symptoms of poisoning or even death. An added danger is that cheap essential oils may be adulterated with other things for various reasons; the combination of substances could be more toxic than the unadulterated oil.

There are many appropriate uses for essential oils, but they can also be very harmful. Sometimes it seems people forget that just because something is "natural" doesn't automatically mean it's safe.

Edit: Using EOs once a week or so in an area where your cat doesn't go very often will probably be just fine, but if you're using it often near where the cat eats and sleeps, you could be putting the cat's health a risk.
  • Scubachick
    Options
    There are many appropriate uses for essential oils, but they can also be very harmful. Sometimes it seems people forget that just because something is "natural" doesn't automatically mean it's safe.
    Wow, I didnt know that about cats. There are also issues using essential oils when pregnant - especially Clary Sage. These oils are potent and can irritate skin and should be kept away from children. Use the same precautions as you would with manufactured cleaning products.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The Mayo clinic (very reputable) has said that plastic containers seep chemicals into foods especially when heated. Plastic water bottles do the same and these chemicals cause cancer. Sheryl Crow has been a spokesperson on not drinking water from plastic bottles, she believes that was the cause of her breast cancer.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys!

As for the essential oils- I am an esthetician so I've had many classes in the uses of them. They are so expensive so I never really got into it, but I can see how the high cost now would save me tons of money later. I also think that they should be used carefully and with proper research. Only in America can you buy these things over the counter. In European conutries you must hace a perscription because they really do pose a danger if used in excess or improperly.

As for the plastic containers---they leak chemicals that not only cause cancer, but they can also be responsible for infertility, insulin resistance, diabetes, PCOS, and thyroid problems! I have heard this a million times before, but I never heard about the thyroid/metabolism stuff!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to admit that blaming tupperware and Windex for being fat sounded like a far-out attempt at scapegoating, but after doing some PubMed research I actually am somewhat convinced that BPA is at least estrogenic. But I have yet to find any evidence that they're strong enough agonists to cause infertility and PCOS. If that were the case doctors would be prescribing bottled water instead of estradiol for birth control. People were getting cancer before someone decided to bottle water. Just my .02.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Okay, I have to admit that blaming tupperware and Windex for being fat sounded like a far-out attempt at scapegoating, but after doing some PubMed research I actually am somewhat convinced that BPA is at least estrogenic. But I have yet to find any evidence that they're strong enough agonists to cause infertility and PCOS. If that were the case doctors would be prescribing bottled water instead of estradiol for birth control. People were getting cancer before someone decided to bottle water. Just my .02.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think an hour on google will provide enough evidence and I highly doubt you have access to all the years of research that that has gone into any of that evidence anyway.

I don't believe it was implied that anyone was blaming being fat on tupperware or windex, they are contributing factors that screw up the metabolism which may or may not cause someone elses fatness.

And people were getting cancer before cigarettes too.
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The anti plastic movement enabled me very nicely in my collecting of all things vintage. LOL

I started collecting vintage corningware, the white kind with all kinds of cute things printed on the sides. You can find them at thrift shops for $2-3. The ones with the lids are harder to find but they're out there. :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I don't think an hour on google will provide enough evidence and I highly doubt you have access to all the years of research that that has gone into any of that evidence anyway.

I don't believe it was implied that anyone was blaming being fat on tupperware or windex, they are contributing factors that screw up the metabolism which may or may not cause someone elses fatness.

Who said I spent an hour on Google? I've heard about this before on MFP and the news. If you'll note my studies you'll see I am in the health industry. I study skeletal muscle metabolism, which is regulated by the endocrine system. I have plenty of access to research beyond what Jillian Micheals writes.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

Who said I spent an hour on Google? I've heard about this before on MFP and the news. If you'll note my studies you'll see I am in the health industry. I study skeletal muscle metabolism, which is regulated by the endocrine system. I have plenty of access to research beyond what Jillian Micheals writes.

I wasn't trying to be rude, sorry if it came across that way....thats what the laughing smiley faces were about. :laugh: I did get the impression that you thought we were blaming tupperware and windex initially.

Maybe you weren't on google, lol. I was pointing out that in the time I posted and the time you replied really wan't enough time to prove anything by researching. I'm in the health industry also, just not as far up as you are. I respect your opinion, sorry if I came across as rude.:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I wasn't trying to be rude, sorry if it came across that way....thats what the laughing smiley faces were about. :laugh: I did get the impression that you thought we were blaming tupperware and windex initially.

Maybe you weren't on google, lol. I was pointing out that in the time I posted and the time you replied really wan't enough time to prove anything by researching. I'm in the health industry also, just not as far up as you are. I respect your opinion, sorry if I came across as rude.:flowerforyou:

No, I was just being cheeky with that. I've been hearing about this for a looooong time, especially as a plastic water bottle RE-user (gasp) :wink: I actually looked into it and there's a ton about BPA on PubMed, both human and animal studies. I am just careful about applying causation...just because BPA levels in the urine are higher doesn't mean, that plasma levels are higher, because they're weakly estrogenic doesn't mean they cause hormonal imbalances, etc. I actually still enjoy research (haven't been in it long enough yet LOL) but I have seen enough to know you have to look at these things objectively.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Yesterday my Mom told me about a New York Times article that talked about a study of babies (perhaps in Australia) where the food was controlled and some babies got much fatter than others, apparently leading to further research on plastic bottles. Apparently the thought is that some people react to the plastic while others don't and those that respond grow larger fat cells (like I needed that, thank you very much).

I was bottled fed with plastic bottles (early 1960;s) but my brothers were fed using glass bottles. I am the only one that has a real weight problem.

Seems there is a connection. I am wondering if I should get rid of all plastic containers now and just use glass, etc. And perhaps no more teflon. I need to do more research on this because that may be part of the problem,
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    [

No, I was just being cheeky with that. I've been hearing about this for a looooong time, especially as a plastic water bottle RE-user (gasp) :wink: I actually looked into it and there's a ton about BPA on PubMed, both human and animal studies. I am just careful about applying causation...just because BPA levels in the urine are higher doesn't mean, that plasma levels are higher, because they're weakly estrogenic doesn't mean they cause hormonal imbalances, etc. I actually still enjoy research (haven't been in it long enough yet LOL) but I have seen enough to know you have to look at these things objectively.

I like the research to, but I have a long way to go schoolwise before I will consider myself educated. I am educated, but without the education to back me. I'm a nerd I guess, I read this stuff for fun. As for this new info, I'm not one to jump on a bandwagon like this. But in my case, it makes sense to rule out those things and see if it works before I know anymore. Using glass over plastic isn't that drastic and green housekeeping would benefit my wallet and the enviroment too! I've seen a difference in my weight since I got strict about organics and cutting out meat, so I feel like there could be something in all of this. Rather than research, I guess I'm experimenting. I'm my own guinea pig.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Yesterday my Mom told me about a New York Times article that talked about a study of babies (perhaps in Australia) where the food was controlled and some babies got much fatter than others, apparently leading to further research on plastic bottles. Apparently the thought is that some people react to the plastic while others don't and those that respond grow larger fat cells (like I needed that, thank you very much).

I was bottled fed with plastic bottles (early 1960;s) but my brothers were fed using glass bottles. I am the only one that has a real weight problem.

Seems there is a connection. I am wondering if I should get rid of all plastic containers now and just use glass, etc. And perhaps no more teflon. I need to do more research on this because that may be part of the problem,

Very interesting. I'll have to look that up.