Help... I need clarification

Options
Hi Everyone!
I am stumped and do not fully understand the whole starvation thing. I put down that I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week, which has me eating 1600 calories a day. Then I used the tool to calculate the basal metabolic rate which said I need to eat 1780 a day. Which do I follow?
Also I worked out today like a mad woman and earned 960 extra calories. Do I eat them too? According to my food diary I still have to eat over a 1000 calories today!!!

Please help, I really thought as long as calories in are balanced with calories out I thought I would lose weight, but this theory hasn't worked for me yet!

Thank you,
KKmama

Replies

• Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I am stumped and do not fully understand the whole starvation thing. I put down that I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week, which has me eating 1600 calories a day. Then I used the tool to calculate the basal metabolic rate which said I need to eat 1780 a day. Which do I follow?
    Also I worked out today like a mad woman and earned 960 extra calories. Do I eat them too? According to my food diary I still have to eat over a 1000 calories today!!!

Please help, I really thought as long as calories in are balanced with calories out I thought I would lose weight, but this theory hasn't worked for me yet!

Thank you,
    KKmama
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    yes your supposed to eat all your exercise calories. as far as the difference in calorie intake, site vs. basal I cant help with :ohwell:
  • Kymmer
    Kymmer Posts: 1
    Options
    My understanding is taking in under what you need at rest will help lose the weight. But I don't know if I am right. :)
    Hang in there!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    First, I would try several different BMR calculators and compare the results. Whatever your BMR turns out to be, you shouldn't eat below that amount. The BMR is the amount of calories you need just to lie around in bed all day: breathing, heart beat, etc. Then, depending on your activity level throughout the day (NOT intentional exercise), you need another quantity of calories to maintain your weight. This is where MFP is deducting the calories for weight loss. When you do intentional exercise, enter that into the exercise log and EAT them. :smile:

Example:
    BMR: 1500 cals
    plus calories for daily activities 500 cals
    2000 just to maintain your current weight
    less 500 cals for 1lb/week loss 500
    plus exercise calories 600
    NET TOTAL Calories eaten: 2100

Hope this helps
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    OK, all my spacing did not work out! I'll try again:

Example:

BMR: 1500 cals

plus 500 calories for daily activities
    = 2000 just to maintain your current weight

less 500 cals for 1lb/week loss = 1500 --> this is where MFP takes away calories for weight loss
    plus exercise calories 600 --> eat these
    NET TOTAL Calories eaten: 2100

Hope this helps.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    HOW DID YOU BURN 960 CALORIES?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    HOW DID YOU BURN 960 CALORIES?

That is my question too! Fess up Blazin!!!

Astidfeline's response was right on the money!
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    Options
    My advice take the first week or 2 and eat your exercise calories, if you don't lose weight stop eating them,,I have lost weight but I do not eat my exercise calories unless I am truly hungry then I eat about 1/2 of them. I am trying to lose the last 10 lbs, this is the hardest to lose, except the last 5 of course :), so far I have 6.5 to go.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input.
    I burned 960 calories by going on the elliptial for 1/2 hour, and worked out with a personal trainer so hard for an hour I thought Iwas going to die! And also went for a big walk with my daughter in the stroller.
    So what I am taking away from all this is I need to eat a lot, of the right stuff though!