Welcome alternative to WW

Options
I lost 34 pounds on WW on-line but when they changed their whole plan and the points they assigned to food, I was very disapointed with the lack of results and quit. I slowly started gaining agan and now have put on 10 pounds over the past year. I was so happy to find this site and even happier to find out it is free. It is almost identical to WW in the way you add food and exercise and have a daily goal. Two pounds gone so far with 8-10 nore to go. Just wish the recipe builder would have some pre-determined basic ingredients to choose from.

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It really is a great alternative! Plus I LOVE the whole community aspect - it has been a huge key to my success.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    I agree... I do not like the new points system. I found that I really didn't lose any weight with it. Plus, MFP is free. :)
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also agree! I started on there lost 25 then switched to the new plan and gained 20 of it back. Now I'm on this and have lost 10 almost 10 already and can't wait to lose the rest!
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I joined WW when there was a program set up at my work place. I lost 17 lbs and regained it later. I later tried to do it again, and didn't lose a thing.
  • beccacarlton
    beccacarlton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Same here! I've done ww for years. Always did well on it, when I stuck to it. But, I've been struggling the last year with the new program. Started gaining weight while on it. A friend told me about this site. I cancelled my ww membership and am on my second week here. The weight is coming off MUCH faster than it ever did on WW. Plus, it's so much easier to add calories than have to calculate points! I'm a HUGE fan so far! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Mia627
    Mia627 Posts: 34
    Options
    That was the main reason I stopped WW. I got tired of counting points! I'm finding this way of keeping track much easier as well!!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder does have built-in ingredients; they're just in the food database. What the recipe builder really is is just a time-saver; you *could* enter all the ingredients that went into your pizza or sandwich or soup into your food diary separately, but it's much easier to calculate the calories/macronutrients for the whole pizza/sandwich/pot of soup, save that, and then enter a fraction of that amount into your diary. Especially if it's something you make often, it's just easier. The fact that you can share recipes with others is just a bonus, and it saves them time calculating nutrient values, too.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers to lose my weight 7 years ago. When 20 lb creeped back on I rejoined with the new program. I lost about 10lb and stalled and gave up. I found this site and have lurked for a while. I started following tracking etc April 19th and I am loving MFP!! I feel like NOW I know what to do, how to do it, and why. Not just point values etc I like knowing the actual formulas of calories in, calories burned, and making me healthly and strong the right way!!
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I lost successfully on WW however it was very, very slow. I got stuck trying to lose the last 3-4 pound, no matter what I did it would not shift. I upped my exercise substantially and even that didn't make the weight move. So I started tracking what I was eating with MFP alongside WW points. I was surprised at how many calories I was consuming in fruit and veg a day, which on WW is classed as free food which you do not count. I reckon I was easily eating an extra 200-300 calories a day in fruit and veg. There's no wonder the weight wasn't moving. So I switched to MFP a couple of weeks ago to try and move the stubborn last pounds.

The only thing I like WW tracker for over MFP is the fact that your activity points (exercise) add up over the week and if you have use your points for the day then the extras are taken from the activity points you have earned. What I don't like about MFP is that there is no weekly count of exercise. I like to save what I earn during the week and then 'spend' the extra calories at the weekend. It's harder to track this on MFP. Unless anyone has any suggestions?
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    I liked Weight Watchers when I did it initially, but when I went back to it after gaining back weight, it felt stale. The program was good, but the etools are garbage. You pay $20-$40 per month and they barely update the tools over the 3 years I used WW, and didn't have nearly as much customizability as free calorie counting alternatives like MFP. Also, the meetings got old. It was the same topics I'd heard 3-5 times before. Also, their online forums and community layout looks like it was ripped from a 1990's website. Terrible.
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    YES! I like having the recipe builder. I could go in and type in turkey sandwich and get the MFP answer, but I use "diet" bread. Same for a lot of other things. I just made recipes of some of the things that I eat regularly and now can just go to recipes and click on them to add them to my dairy. It's great for your homemade creations.
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    I lost 8 stone with WW and continued to loose another 16lb with SW, and although I am still technically following WW I do calorie count with it [if that makes sense] as for every 40 calories is 1 pp so its technically the same. Please feel free to add me to your friends list, would love to see how you get on. The recipe builder is great on here, as is everyone who has befriended me, great place to be and so supportive, I hope I can support others too
  • Btrfly2541
    Btrfly2541 Posts: 14
    Options
    So glad I saw this post. I am 6 weeks post partum and was getting ready to join WW in addition to tracking with MFP. I joined MFP quite a while ago and was using it regularly fall 2010 into spring 2011. When I got pregnant last summer, I stopped tracking all together and have just rejoined. This is my first time using the community- as I was had only used the phone app in the past. I am loving the community feature!!

When did WW change their point system? I did weight watchers about 8 years ago after my last dau and lost weight, but I became OBSESSED with points! Much more than I do with calories (not sure why). I think the point system became a game of how much food I can eat with the fewest point value, whereas calorie counting is what it is-- no game playing allowed!
  • spanglevie
    spanglevie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this post. I am 6 weeks post partum and was getting ready to join WW in addition to tracking with MFP. I joined MFP quite a while ago and was using it regularly fall 2010 into spring 2011. When I got pregnant last summer, I stopped tracking all together and have just rejoined. This is my first time using the community- as I was had only used the phone app in the past. I am loving the community feature!!

When did WW change their point system? I did weight watchers about 8 years ago after my last dau and lost weight, but I became OBSESSED with points! Much more than I do with calories (not sure why). I think the point system became a game of how much food I can eat with the fewest point value, whereas calorie counting is what it is-- no game playing allowed!

I agree and in the UK their new advertising campaign is actually called "Play The Game" I think thats terrible. Losing weight and making healthy lifestyle changes is not a game. What I found I was doing with points is eating lots of fruit and veg throughout the day to keep me feeling full (no fruit and veg is counted) in order to leave me a few spare points for the evening for a 'treat'.
  • Christopod
    Christopod Posts: 8
    Options
    I was WW online for two years. I have come to the conclusion that they are in it to make money. They give you just enough to maybe lose, but make you lose over a long period of time to make money. Every year, they redo their point system requiring you to either buy a new scale or calculator. I did not lose with them. As for MFP, they have the lowest allowance of any site I have seen. This is why we lose on here. Sparkpeople and Lose It! are higher.
  • Shandril
    Shandril Posts: 36
    Options
    I had the same experience with WW since they changed the plan. Didn't work for me at all.

Welcome!
  • TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Same experience and I agree with the gentleman that said they change it up so you have to buy the new scale, the new point tracker, etc (money making scheme). I sat at a 13 pound loss for three weeks there...and got so frustrated that I quit! I wasn't even moving in the inches lost area or I would have stuck it out. I have been doing a modified version of WW and just trying to figure out what my body is craving and/or needs. I love MFP! There are so many items you can log and track...best sight out there for that aspect. Feel free to add me and good luck! =0) I have lost 26 pounds since January....not slow, but a great pace to take off the weight and I plan on keeping it off!!
  • dup32
    dup32 Posts: 68
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
    As of this past Saturday I have lost 75 lbs with WW. I still continue because it taught me how to handle foods,portion control and a healthy way to look at it too!
    Nothing ever in my past had ever worked so well, for that I am thankful. I too struggled to loose during the past 2 years and after speaking to my PA she told me about this site and gave me a few ways to tweek what I was doing...
    So far MFP is helping me track everything not just points...I am so close to goal I can taste it, almost.. ha ha ha
    I have friends whom I have chosen to stick by at WW and for that reason I cannot walk away just yet.
    I commend everyone for doing what is best for thier situation...
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do both MFP and WW. I log and track everything on MFP and I like WW for the meetings and "official" weigh in. It helps me stay accountable. As for my eating, I go to Diabetes Centers of America and I am doing what my doctor tells me to do for my calories and stuff. BTW if anyone is a diabetic and struggling with it and unhappy with the doctors you have been to, I highly reccommend them. I wish I had started going to them years ago!!
  • cubbi7
    cubbi7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I did WW a few times. And each time, sadly, I fell off the wagon (so to speak). But I think that is why I am happy that my boyfriend found this app. It is so easy and so far, it works! :) I've lost 15.5lbs so far. And although I know I have a long way to go, it seems manageable. If anyone is looking for a motivational friend, feel free to add me. I like sending out supportive messages and would love people to chat with about the similar journey we are all on. Good luck to everyone in your pursuit of health!