What should be my focus?

Options
Sodium and sugar intake or calories? I recently went from 1200 a day w/o eating back exercise cals and fell into a plateau after 34 lbs. I'm trying to up my cals now but it seems like I hit 1400 cals and my sodium and sugar are either at the border or over already the daily limit. Because of this I don't want to eat any more in case I go over those, but I know I should be eating about 1800 a day according to my TDEE 20% deficit. Any suggestions on certain foods and such that have low sodium and sugar. Or should I just not worry about those things and try to get to my calorie goal of 1800? I got to 1600 yesterday but I felt like I was gonna explode and I ended up eating chex mix in order to get there (I know it's not healthy). My sugar is about 90% from fruit btw, and I thought eating fruit was healthy. :P Sodium, no clue cause at 1200 cals I was always way under. Anyway all help is super appreciated! Thanks in advance. :D

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic and assuming you are using at least some common sense with food selection, I would worry most about calories (eating close to the right amount) followed by protein (do not under-eat this) followed by fat (do not under-eat this) and I wouldn't be too concerned about the rest.
  • Crly30
    Crly30 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always go over on the amount of sugar it gives me because of the fruit I eat. I do try to watch my sodium because it makes me retain alot of water.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic and assuming you are using at least some common sense with food selection, I would worry most about calories (eating close to the right amount) followed by protein (do not under-eat this) followed by fat (do not under-eat this) and I wouldn't be too concerned about the rest.

Took the words right out of my mouth! I agree with this. Unless for dietary/health reasons you need to focus on sugar/sodium then worry most about calories, protein and fat. If most of your sodium and sugar comes from natural sources then it really is no big deal. IMO.
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :D Nope I'm not diabetic and I hope I make good choices lol. XD Cheez-its and ice cream are my only downfalls :blushing: besides that all the sodium and sugar is natural. That's why I was wondering wth I was eating wrong lol. :laugh: Okie dokie I'll definetly focus on cals, protein, and fat more then. :D Thanks so much again everyone!