Bigger thighs?!

Options
For my job I have to wear scrubs as my uniform. I have a pair of scrub pants that just dont fit my body shape. But I put them on today and after starting Insanity and I have also run a couple times they are tight... Has that happened to you guys and is it just me gaining muscle? I didn't think I could gain it that quick...

Thanks for all your help! :)

Replies

• CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you've just started working out recently it could be water retention. Your muscles are saying "Whoa, hey now, why so much work??"
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you've just started working out recently it could be water retention. Your muscles are saying "Whoa, hey now, why so much work??"

^ This

It will not be muscle gain if you are in a caloric deficit (trying to lose weight)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I agree with Casey...in my case, I have increased my thighs by at least an inch (or more) in the past 6 months with the heavy lifting. I never thought that I would be saying this proudly, but I no longer have "skinny legs" from running & cycling.
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That happened to me as well... I've even split a couple scrub pants because the calfs go too small after I started working out. :blushing: It does go away though and now the same pants (I fixed them) bag on me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle is HARD. It's water retention from starting exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It might just be the "pump" your musles are bigger just after working out. I know people do it for photo shoots and stuff. I did an arm strength training work out before work one day and the sleeves of my dress shirt were quite tight. But loosened up by the end of the day.
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    After starting boot camp, I gained an inch in my thighs in like 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I lost 1/2 an inch and they seem to be slowly going down. So Ya, it's a mix of building up that muscle and water retention. It's kind of like the scale, sometimes you go up before you go down. :)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Yep, Happened to me. I didnt notice it till I was in month 2, but sure enough about week 7 my jean ( most of them) were to tight on my thighs. I got rid of a few pairs and even the ones I am wearing right now are a bit tight. My butt looks a bit bigger too, but that is a good thing! Now I am doing ChaLean Extream and with all those squats I am hoping I wont need all new jeans in a bigger size.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options

man am i dealing with this now! i just started learning to run and i am up a big handful of pounds from my body going "excuse me madame but what the heck do you think you are doing?!" psychologically i keep having to argue with myself about the fact that i know that is what it is and to leave the scale be for a few weeks, maybe a month, while i get into the swing of things.
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    Ok thank you everybody! I didn't think it would be muscle that fast especially since it takes to long anyway! I will keep on going then and see how much they go down! :)

Edit: Also, from it being water retention is it just from working out or am I not drinking enough water?