Running Pains

Options
I used to play sports growing up, especially soccer. I remember getting stomach cramps if I ran too much and it was hot outside. I just started actually running again and I am getting sharp pains in my side. At first I thought I was dehydrated but I have been drinking tons of water throughout my day and have a huge bottle while I run. I even concentrate on my breathing to make sure that wasn't causing it. Is this normal and will it go away when my body is in better shape or am I doing something wrong? It's intense enough to make me have to stop a few times and wait for the pain to subside. Any advice?

Replies

• oats4breakfast
    Options
    I call that the stitch (up under rib cage/top abb muscle). Usually get it when I drink or eat too close to running/exercise. How far are you running ? You won't die if you do not run with a water bottle for 5 or so miles and without drinking before hand.
    Play around with your water (less) and food timings. Do something consistently for a week - then see what happens - then change it. E.g. No food water pre-30 mins. Only warm water as opposed to cold. etc
    Also, carrying something when you run can alter your gait. Makes it worse because you may start to tilt shoulders and sway.
  • sarahjane927
    Options
    Ok thanks. I'm only running a mile or two now so that's definately short enough to leave the water bottle behind. I did start to just eat a small fruit a little before I ran and I noticed it helped me from getting a stomach ache. I should try to get hydrated before a run now. Good advice. I need to try a couple of tricks to see which works best for me and preventing that sharp pain. I want to get to the point where I can run a few miles and actually enjoy my run.
  • ekball
    ekball Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I get a stitch if I breathe from my chest instead of my belly. Hard to explain, but the next time it happens, try to focus on deep breathing from your belly and see if that works.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    How is your breathing? Even and steady or huffy and puffy? If I don't steady my breathing then I get side stitches.....The trick for me is chewing gum. It keeps my breathing steady without thinking about it anymore. Also make sure you stay hydrated all throughout the day.......
  • sarahjane927
    Options
    I never would have thought about chewing gum to keepo my mind focused on deeper breathing! That's a clever one thanks!
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I never would have thought about chewing gum to keepo my mind focused on deeper breathing! That's a clever one thanks!

Neither have I! You may have solved all my problems!