POP!

Options
Hi! Ok, SINCE I started MFP and my new change of life/eating habits, I cut pop out completely. I have to say I feel better doing so. I read an article what pop has in it and totally turned me off. I was a huge diet coke/coke 0 drinker. I have made water my best friend and we get along great!
It was a struggle ditching the pop, no lie. I am now having issues ditching the coffee. I am trying. Has anyone else dumped pop completely and struggling with cutting out coffee too? I am sure it's the caffeine that I crave and well it tastes so yummy!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've never had a big pop consumption, have a can every other day or the like. I do have a big coffee habit but as I drink it black there's no calorie issue and there seems to be enough evidence around that it might help with weight loss.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I've never been a big soda drinker - However, I recently found an addiction to Diet 7-up. No calories, no caffeine, no sugar, no color...Go figure! I try to limit to one a day. Guess I could have worse addictions. :wink:
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda with drinking carbonated water at first. It gave me something similar, without the calories or caffeine. One of my co-workers cut out coffee by switching to tea. He said that it was the caffeine that he craved and tea was better for him anyway. I've never been a coffee drinker, but I love tea.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I gave up Soda about a year ago......and about a month ago now I cut out coffee also. The only reason I really cut the coffee is I can't drink it black and I use a TON of flavored creamers. I do still drink tea though.
  • TinaTurtlez
    TinaTurtlez Posts: 86
    Options
    I love my coffee, but have cut it down to a small cup rather than me filling a big jug. I put 2of those small creamer in and 1 splenda. I am trying at least every other day, but it's hard. Thanks for the input!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about buttons on pants or blouses popping off...LOL
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've never been a soda girl, not since I was a kid anyways. But I did cut out coffee the last few years. I'll throw in a nonfat latte every few weeks as a treat but else I drink green tea with 2 Stevia packets 2x a day. Def not easy if you drink several cups a day.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh YES!! I was a heavy Mt.Dew drinker for a long time then switched to Diet Coke and then back to Mt.Dew when a doctor told me it was better to drink the real stuff then fake stuff. In moderation, I might add but I didn't. Now I drink coffee. I use to never drink it. Then it got to be a once a week thing with my hubby on Sundays with a big breakfast and now, I have a cup or two a day. I have slowly been cutting it out. I didn't have any yesterday! :wink:

Good luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling with this! I told you already I don't have a problem with it because I only add a little milk and I'm good to go. I do remember I had a pretty hard time with it in my early twenties though. Not because I had a weight problem, but because I was wasting a lot of money running down the street to the coffee house three times a day getting lattes. I just couldn't afford it anymore.
    I switched to flavored coffee. Pumpkin Spice and Blueberry were my favorites and they were sweet on their own. Not like the sugary sweet stuff I know you like now, but maybe if you tried a flavored brew you could at least cut down on the amount of sugar/cream you put in now. It might be worth a try, Miss Tina!
  • toshadyson1979
    Options
    Cutting out soda is a great way to start living a healthier life! There are little to no health benefits in it and it cuts on your grocery bill. I do not but soda or anything really carbonated for that matter. However I do like to drink coffee, there are no calories it so that's one less thing to worry about, however watch your consumption because too much caffeine is not good for you or your heart.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When I was probably about 12 I would drank 1-2 cans of Coke a day. I cut it out completely when I was probably 16 ort 17 (I'm 19 now) and I don't think it was that hard. I pretty much switched to juice at first, then water with Crystal Light, then just water. Coffee I just never started drinking, I'll have the occasional cup but I don't think it even amounts to 1 a month. I became a HUGE tea drinker though - President's Choice does a flavour called "Chocolatey Chai" which is so delicious and still mostly water (aka not bad for you!) So yeah, that's how I got through them.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Soda pop is a LOT worse for you than coffee. Unless you're dumping in gallons of creamer and other things, coffee is actually not bad for you unless you have heart issues, or other physical things that would make the caffeine bad for your system.

I was never a big soda person in my entire life, so I never drink it (or I do, but it's literally like once or twice a year on special occasions.) For me, it's not the caffeine, I just HATE the carbonation. That annoying tickling feeling in the back of my throat makes my eyes tear up, and I have always hated it.

What I usually drink is coffee during the morning, and tea the rest of the day, both are usually plain or with one tbsp of creamer for my coffee. If you can switch to plain tea or coffee, you'll do yourself a world of favors. ;)
  • AFluffyNyamma
    AFluffyNyamma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thankfully my family weaned me off soda when I was very young because they switched to sparkling waters. I think if you really crave something bubbly why not try sparkling water. Sure its generally flavorless or very mildly flavored but it gets that bubbly sensation in your mouth :) I know most people dislike it but after drinking it for a while I think you can adjust to the taste, also there's tons of new flavors now a days

Oh and as for coffee... I switched to stevia and almond milk when I need it and I do like to switch off with tea
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was a huuuge pop junkie for years... i craved carbonation. So when i quit pop, i went to the carbonated
    flavored waters, then to just crystal light or mio. ( which is the only way i can get water down) I still drink
    my coffee, but not on a daily basis anymore, and i switched from reg coffee with lots of cream and sugar to
    decaf with a little powdered creamer and s/f vanilla syrup. I was sure i would get massive headaches from the
    lack of caffeine, but after the first few days...all was good.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't remember when I cut out pop, probably around the time I got pregnant and stopped drinking juice. (I went to a nutritionist, and she told me how much sugar I was consuming when I drank 2l of juice a day!) I was never addicted to pop. I only drank it because it was always available and it tasted better than water. It's been a few years now and I will drink it every now and then, maybe once every few months (When I used to go to MacDonalds or Subway I LOVED Coke/Fruitopia mixed together lol) But I find now that I can't drink pop anymore without getting sick. I might get a little craving for a grape crush or cream soda, orange crush etc. But after one or two sips, that's it.
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Good topic! I don't drink very much pop, diet or otherwise, anymore. And I don't really miss it.. I do drink coffee, every morning with fat-free creamer though. That is the next change I am going to make. I do love my coffee though, but I do not like it black. I do enjoy my green tea, so I will probably just drink more of that. But I should probably switch to caffiene free??
  • jhremix
    jhremix Posts: 4
    Options
    I used to drink pop. but thankfully i dont drink it at all anymore. i heard if you cut out pop you will lose weight, but to be honest i haven't.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i restrict myself to one coke zero a day and drink coffee with skimmed milk (only a little) or green tea. Green tea is great to help with weight loss too so I've heard.
  • TinaTurtlez
    TinaTurtlez Posts: 86
    Options
    Ha! That's awesome and would be funny! :smile:
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda last Oct and drink only water. I have nothing with artifical sweetners in it. I do miss having a soda as a treat but dont want the effects of it