Deadlifts

Options
I'm going to incorporate deadlifts into my routine tomorrow. I have been too chicken because I don't want to screw them up with bad form. Tips? Links? My knees are bent on the pick-up correct? Back straight. Then straighten my legs as I pull the bar up above my knees keeping my arms straight? 100% lifting with legs? Weight on my heels or entire foot?

I have too many questions. LOL! And just a note, my spinal cord is "damaged" but I do all the crap I'm not supposed to anyway. So if there is a form of deadlift that is easier on the spine, please share.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Check this out:

http://www.stumptuous.com/dork-diva-deadlift-and-stiff-legged-deadlift

You have to keep your core engaged to protect your spine. If you have an injury you should get clearance from a doc.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Always keep your back straight, if not arched in the other direction. Engage and lift with the legs first, then back (think about bringing your shoulders up first). Try to stand and straighten back all in one motion (my partner tends to straighten legs then back which is wrong). Keep the bar close to your shins at the start and on the way up. Some people even scrape them or wear pants.

Let me grab my last video...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So, only my second rep was perfect:

http://youtu.be/zuXW8lZKjos
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rae!

@ Sp1nG - Thanks for the link. And I have 3 neurological diseases, no doc is giving me clearance. I've been a rule breaker since diagnosed, no sense in being conservative now. :smile:
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    push away from the floor with your heels! I hear that a lot. I've got a herniated L5 and atrophied pillar muscles around it, but deadlifting doesn't do anything bad to it as long as I keep my form. I had a PR of 95# last week, pretty good considering when I started lifting a month ago I could barely lift a 14# medicine ball :tongue:
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have to consciously think about arching my back with booty sticking out in order to have a flat enough back to do deadlifts properly. I do that for most of my "engage the core" lifts...overdo the butt-sticking-out in order to be close to doing it the right way.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-deadlift

Or search their site for deadlift. They have a lot of videos and information for workouts, weights, heavy lifting etc. Some will promote supplements or shakes, take what info you need & leave the rest. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do my deads in front of a mirror to ensure correct form. I have the tendancy to arch my back so I make sure to keep it straight by using a mirror.

Also, try them different ways. You don't have to use a barbell, you can use dumbbells, and I also like single leg deadlifts as well (with dbs).

As the others said, keep your back straight! Otherwise you will have a very sore lower back in the morning.