Energy drinks before working out

Options
I noticed that I get a lot more out of my workouts after having an energy drink, or coffee. Is this a bad habit to fall into? I only drink sugar free/ low calorie energy drinks ((the pink monster one is my fav!)) and black coffee.

Are energy drinks ((such as sugar free ones)) controversial health wise, like diet soda's?

Replies

• Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I've had coffee a few times before hitting the gym and noticed I killed it on the treadmill. I would love to hear answers to this as well.
  • daaamon
    daaamon Posts: 25
    Options
    I hear a lot of mixed reviews on this... some say that caffeine + cardio is TERRIBLE for your heart, because It overworks it... others say that it is a great idea for the reason you stated; more energy = more calories burnt. I suggest talking to a doctor!
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've had coffee a few times before hitting the gym and noticed I killed it on the treadmill. I would love to hear answers to this as well.
    Same here! It's just a massive energy boost.

Any other input?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Everything but vegetables are controversial health-wise to some group or another. And going veggie only is terrible for your health.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I typically have a cup of coffee before my workout. It's the end of the day and being up at 4AM and working all day and getting home at 5PM I NEED that little extra boost.

I have never had any issues health wise with doing this. I have a heart rate monitor and my heart rate is always where it should be before, during and after working out.
  • Adnan5224
    Adnan5224 Posts: 14
    Options
    As long as its not giving you any obvious side-effects (jitters, crash, lack of focus, dizziness, etc.) and it fits in your daily macros then i dont see a problem with it.