Bleeding Nipples

Options

Replies

• MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ok, I used to use Vaseline and it worked. Lately for some reason, I have one nipple which just keeps on bleeding every time I go on a long run.

.....And you know how it stings when you get in the shower afterwards! And then when it starts healing, you get itchy and keep scratching your chest!.....

I will try tape or a band aid but Im not confident it will stick and stay during the run.

Has anyone found a particular fabric which helps protect from this problem? Or maybe there are Feeding mothers who have discovered a wonder cure for bleeding and cracked nipples other than paw paw cream??

Please share!!
    You should go to the DR.
    One reason for bleeding from the nipple is breast cancer.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, when was initially breastfeeding, I used a Nipple Butter for nursing moms to help the poor babies heal (they were a mess, I tell ya), but your issue seems to be preventing the bleeding, and for me all I had to do was pop the baby off. Obviously, that's not your issue.

I know there are some people that use athletic tape and tape their nipples in an "x" pattern with the tape. Otherwise, I don't have any useful suggestions for preventing it. For healing, though, anything with lanolin in it does WONDERS.
  • hurton
    hurton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My husband uses Nip Guards.

http://www.nipguards.com/
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    wear these and run shirtless

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx-vE58dds2akSqTOL4AQmyXt5AF9UGFASkNXP_k2j4fyWHHILGQ
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My husband swears by Nip Gaurds....they are usually sold at running stores/expos. he uses them for any run over 8 miles. Money well spent.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I always wear an UnderArmour compression shirt under a tech shirt. The tight fitting compression keeps the outer shirt from rubbing up and down on the nipples so I never get chafed there anymore. Just to add, compression shorts are good for protecting other sensitive areas as well....

This!!! I never work out without under armour over my nipples ;)... i love their sports bras. Same fabric that my husband uses, the compression pants and shirts.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    All you need is body glide and the problem won't happen!
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    This thread made me think of The Office..............
    images65-1.jpg
  • bittersweetinsanity
    bittersweetinsanity Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Newman's all purpose nipple ointment! You get it at a compounding pharmacy. Get some air to the nips..
    Coming from a nursing mom.. <3 You'll have to figure out another way to keep them from rubbing.
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    oh Dear! lol, can`t say I`ve ever had this from running but I did nurse twins once upon a time! The only thing that helped to heal was lanolin ointment. Good luck!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've got a Champion compression shirt that has been the best thing for me in avoiding these issues. You can get them from Target.
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    I use a compression shirt when I run. The only thing that's worked for me.
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Body Glide
  • Indy_Cent
    Indy_Cent Posts: 45
    Options
    Dude, tell her (or him, I am no one to judge) to stop biting them so damned hard.

If there's bleeding involved, you're taking it too far. I mean, I know that's a kink and all, but it doesn't sound like you're into that particular one...
    yet.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'd just lose the nipples. You don't really need them anyway.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    in the summer when i sweat a ton i have to do bandaids on mine
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Based on your title I thought this was going to be a 'nursing mommy' question! I would have said to air them out and toughen them up! However, I do have some input for you because the same happens to my hubs on his long runs and marathon. When he had this problem I went "to the internet"! Some men use duct tape (ouch, but they all said it sticks best to the skin) or a compression shirt and some use the anti chaffing gel or anti chaffing stick on thier nipples. I bought the gel and the stick for my hubs and that is what he uses. I dont recall if he prefers one over the other. I found both products on Amazon.com. Each was around 5bucks. Good Luck!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My votes is for the Body Glide. I use it to eliminate the chafing raw spots from my sports bra. Works WONDERS!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Compression shirts can actually help you stay cooler, at least in my experience.

^^^This! UnderArmour and other brands of fitness wear have started making tighter fitting shirts with "moisture wicking" material that pulls the sweat away from your body. Because they fit tighter, they don't move up and down on your body, reducing friction (friction burn is what is causing the sore nipples). Also, it eliminates the need to wear two shirts, so you don't have to worry about getting too hot. The other alternative is to run shirtless...of course, it might be more painful to pin on your bib in that case. :laugh: Another option is to wear a women's sports bra under your shirt. LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's what keeps us from having that problem. :happy:
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I wear a sports bra for that very reason, try the compression shirt!....I'm only running the treadmill still but I've experienced this myself!