New 2 this

Options
Hello People,
Im from California, and have a question for all of you, Has counting calories been hard for you? Have you been able to keep to certain amount of calories a day?:smooched:

Replies

• vitaytony
    vitaytony Posts: 41
    Options
    Hello People,
    Im from California, and have a question for all of you, Has counting calories been hard for you? Have you been able to keep to certain amount of calories a day?:smooched:
  • OMISALJ
    OMISALJ Posts: 69
    Options
    I would say the first week is kind of hard. But after you see totals of what you are eating, you learn how to eat smaller portions and make better choices.
  • vitaytony
    Options
    Okay, thanks 4 answering my question.. Today is my 1st day and man its been hard.
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    Counting calories is difficult at first if you haven't recorded in the past and it's even more difficult to see how much you were eating before. Once you get settled into the routine of logging your food you will become more aware of what you're eating all the time and you can make better choices even if you can't count the calories on the spot (out for dinner). I was really hungry the first few days but lots of water, gum and veggies kept my mouth busy. I've been able to stay on track with my calories, fat, protein and carbs thanks to MFP but won't punish myself if I go over. If I do I will just start over again the next day or work out harder to earn the calories.
    It will take a while for food to not be on your mind all day long, and by then you will already feel better about your choices. I find when I work out and I have 500 extra calories I could waste it, but I want to eat something that will benefit me.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets easier. I stay around the same amount of calories but since I am 1000 calories under what I need to maintain weight I don't worry too much if I go a little over.
    Check out the recipes and there are lots of good ideas in food and nutrition topic. There are a bunch of veggies that are very low in calories and if I run out of calories but am still hungry that is what I eat. I have so many lower calorie foods in my daily eating that I rarely ever feel hungry. Good luck. Heather
  • jonboy51
    jonboy51 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bethanie below. It's a difficult concept at first, but it definitely gives you something to focus on so you know how the food you're consuming impacts your potential weight loss. I used to try to just "cut back", but without really tracking my intake, I was just fooling myself. With this tracking system you really see what everything is adding up to and it does help you to focus more. I don't know what your weight goals are, but for me, I've found this to be a very helpful tool to track my progress.

Good luck with your efforts. There's a lot of support here to help if you run in to problems/questions.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you! The first week is difficult, try to enter foods before eating them so you can average your meals out.....then it all becomes second nature!
  • vitaytony
    Options
    Thank YoU all for answering my question and ur suporrt and advice... I will keep in mind to eat veggies and more fruit..... :)
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i love to eat and sometime i go over my calories but its ok though i dont ever go over too much