Planet Fitness members?

Options
Is anyone here a member of Planet Fitness? I think that's what I'm leaning towards but I wanted some feedback!

Replies

• fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have been a member there for a year and a half. I love it. They have the equipment I need to get a great workout and the locker rooms are clean and stocked with toiletries. I have belonged to several large chain gyms and I really enjoy Planet. There are no classes or daycare, but I don't need them so it doesn't bother me.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for almost 3 years and I like it. The one I belong to is very clean and the employees are really nice. It's a basic gym, but that's all I need. It only costs me $10/month, so that's a huge bonus to me.
  • saiabone
    saiabone Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a member and haven't had any trouble there is a little of everything. I love it there especially for the value! And if you become a black card member you can have a friend join you or you can try other locations.
  • irishtwintabar
    irishtwintabar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would get kicked out on my first heavy set of anything.

LOL
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I would get kicked out on my first heavy set of anything.

LOL

This.

Go there if you are looking for a treadmill farm.
    If you are interested in strength training at some point in time, you need to look elsewhere.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    I went for 2 years on and off. When I was primarily running, and not doing much of any free weights, it was fine. Hell, even when I was starting to lift it was alright. But their franchise owner got a bug up his butt one day, and started getting really strict with the rules. This was one of the few PFs that had actual barbells and squat racks. They basically told me that I couldn't do any floor lifts or overhead presses. So half of my workout basically. I quit that day and have never looked back since.
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    They don't have any where I live, but I love their commercials!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go there on principle, based on how they treat and ridicule people who weightlift seriously.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm a member but I'm outgrowing it. It's great if all you want to do is cardio machines. But I've moved on to heavy lifting free weights and it just frankly sucks. Plus I set off the "Lunk Alarm" once by dropping my cell phone when I was on the treadmill. I'd really prefer to move on to another gym but can't afford it right now. So I'm doing squats and dead lifts on a Smith machine. :huh:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The one I belong to has squat racks and barbells. There's actually a decent free weight area. I watch the guys (mostly male) work out every day when I am doing my cardio. They do quite a bit of heavy lifting. Of course, the manager at my PF is built like a brick sh!thouse, so he obviously does some heavy lifting, so maybe that's why it's that way.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    dead lifts on a Smith machine.

They told me that's how I'd have to do deadlifts when I was leaving PF. I don't even know how the **** that would work. How are you supposed to lockout with a smith machine?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how planet fitness gets away with calling itself a gym. It's really set up for the "cardio queens" (I mean men and women). There are barely any weights at all, just machines for the most part. Lots and lots of those fixed track, injury encouraging machines. And the no grunting rule is totally unfair. I can't help it when I'm on the last few reps of a tough set!

If you're looking for a total do-it-yourself routine, all the more power to you. Personally I'm horribly disappointed in them. But it's all I can afford right now. All the other gyms in the area start out at nearly twice as much.

Edit - I hate pizza mondays, I hate tootsie rolls and I REALLY hate the lunkhead alarm. The lunkhead alarm goes off pretty much randomly and has more than once made me nearly fall off the treadmill (and has made me hurt myself).
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love my planet fitness, $10/month has been worth it! I need to get back in the gym, since i havent been for awhile, but i do all my workouts at home!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a member. I've pretty much outgrown it, since I would prefer to do free weights over machines, but my budget hasn't grown as much as my abilities. :wink:
  • AnathemaTeatime
    Options
    Sounds like it's gym by gym? Mine has decent barbells . . . maybe because it's right next to a firehouse and a lot of the firefighters seem to work out there? So they kinda have to. That said, if you are a really serious power lifter, probably not the gym for you. I never see anyone using the weights machine at my gym except for the cable row setup.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how planet fitness gets away with calling itself a gym. It's really set up for the "cardio queens" (I mean men and women). There are barely any weights at all, just machines for the most part. Lots and lots of those fixed track, injury encouraging machines. And the no grunting rule is totally unfair. I can't help it when I'm on the last few reps of a tough set!

If you're looking for a total do-it-yourself routine, all the more power to you. Personally I'm horribly disappointed in them. But it's all I can afford right now. All the other gyms in the area start out at nearly twice as much.

Edit - I hate pizza mondays, I hate tootsie rolls and I REALLY hate the lunkhead alarm. The lunkhead alarm goes off pretty much randomly and has more than once made me nearly fall off the treadmill (and has made me hurt myself).

SOOOO This!!

I'm not a huge weights fan, but man...they are just...a weird gym. I was there for a year and honestly got nothing out of it. I LOVE my current gym. I only pay $5 more and also get a pool, raquet ball courts, cycling classes, other classes like zumba, yoga, pilates, kickboxing & more, a sauna, a basketball court AND a full selection of weights. The best part about PF was the massage chairs lol. I definitely am glad I'm gone from there.

edited to add-I mean, I get special occasions and stuff...but what kind of gym serves greesy pizza on a regular occasion? Trying to keep themselves in business?
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options

SOOOO This!!

I'm not a huge weights fan, but man...they are just...a weird gym. I was there for a year and honestly got nothing out of it. I LOVE my current gym. I only pay $5 more and also get a pool, raquet ball courts, cycling classes, other classes like zumba, yoga, pilates, kickboxing & more, a sauna, a basketball court AND a full selection of weights. The best part about PF was the massage chairs lol. I definitely am glad I'm gone from there.

edited to add-I mean, I get special occasions and stuff...but what kind of gym serves greesy pizza on a regular occasion? Trying to keep themselves in business?

Where do you go that's $15 a month for that? That's pretty awesome. Unfortunately all the gyms besides PF in my area are $30-40 per month.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am - PF isn't bad for starting out. I use the elliptical a lot and do so free weights. If you are just starting the price can't be beat. If you get hooked and need more equipment, then go somewhere else or even add another gym. I pay 10/month plus the 20 rate late fee once a year.

At least they don't charge a huge "initiation fee" like most gyms.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

SOOOO This!!

Where do you go that's $15 a month for that? That's pretty awesome. Unfortunately all the gyms besides PF in my area are $30-40 per month.

I had a black membership at pf..(is that what its called?) it was $20 a month so i could go to diff locations and use the tanning and whatever else. I pay $25 at LA Fitness now