LOWERING CALORIES TO LOSE FASTER

Options
summaryzn
summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
Hi. This is my thrid week back on MFP and I started with the recommended 1lb per week loss for the first 2 weeks. Results were typical - big loss as a result of mostly water weight. Week two, not pabd - lost 1.2, however almost every day I am under my target calories (bc of the added in exercise calories). Decided to lower my calories to 1.5 pounds/week loss and trying to almost double my exercise to get back to my 1pound/week calorie target (before activity). Has anyone done this is the past? Any success? Or did you wind up losing slower because you were consuming less?

Since this is week 1 of this routine I figured Id start looking for feedback to decide if I should do this for another week or go back to 1 pound/week loss. I wont say IM currently hungry, I think its more psychological just knowing I have 250 calories less to consume, which is only half true because if I burn an additional 250 Id be back to where I was at 1lb week loss calorie targe wise. This sounds very cyclical, but those of you who can read through my inane rambling, Id love to hear your thoughts (about my question, not my rambling) :blushing:

Replies

• Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a very good idea. You need the net calories that MFP gives you. Big calorie deficits don't necessarily mean big losses ... you could actually be doing more harm than good in the long run.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If anything you probably need to be increasing calories... especially if you aren't eating exercise calories. Feed the machine!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've done good this past month ive been on here. Im at 1490 calories was at 1540. dont always get there, sometimes under sometimes alittle over. I try to atleast eat 1200 no matter what. this past weekend i went over one day and ate almost all my calories I dropped 2 lbs. and when i was starving it seemed like i wasnt losing anything.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i eat when i'm hungry, only healthy choices though..... definately stay under the 1200 and get in some kind of exercise everyday.....
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    everyone is different, but i try to keep at what MFP tells me. if i burn a whole bunch from exercise, i try to eat more (or have a couple extra glasses of wine!). works for me! if i'm under just 100-200 calories, then i don't worry about it. i usually make up for that on the weekends. i think it balances out throughout the week.
  • desireedare
    desireedare Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi there! I can totally understand why you're feeling somewhat discouraged. I have been battling with my weight/health for about four years and now I have some experience that I would like to share!!! I've been through the "eating 800 calories a day plus exercise" thing... and to be honest, I made myself sick. My immune system went to crap and I felt horrible at all times. I slowly started increasing my calories and ended up losing weight!!! Now, I eat about 1500-1700 calories a day (I'm 5'5" and 125 lbs)... BUT i work out 6 days a week (including intense weight lifting sessions about 4x per week). Your body needs fuel to function. If you are feeding your body wholesome, healthy foods... then you should see a weight loss pattern, even if you feel as if your calories are low. No one should go below 1,200 calories for the day... that's just simply not enough food to carry out normal bodily functions. Also, try measuring yourself instead of weighing yourself. Since I started lifting and eating more, I've gained 15 lbs, but LOST 1 inch on my waist and 1/2 inch on my hips!!!!
  • summaryzn
    Options
    I don't think this is a very good idea. You need the net calories that MFP gives you. Big calorie deficits don't necessarily mean big losses ... you could actually be doing more harm than good in the long run.

thanks mrscheese... I think my point may be losing something in translation.. so I was at 1640 per MFP for 1lb per week loss and I was exercising bringing me up to almost 2000 calories per day... normally coming in under by a good 200-300 per day uninentionally. So I realized that I could drop down to the 1.5pounds per day which is 1390 doing the same exercise of 250 cal deficit at min puts me back at my original 1640 (give or take) and adding in another workout of 200 puts me back to almost 2000 where I was originally. Im technially not eating any less, its my target calories that are now different. Does this make sense? Guess now Im repeating it - this may be a stupid question.
  • adiesilver
    adiesilver Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I restrict my calories more, I lose the first week but always stall within a week or two. I keep my loss goal at 1lb/wk, knowing it's not always going to be 1lb (sometimes more, sometimes less). I'd rather lose slower though, knowing I'm getting enough fuel every day and feeling confident that I can keep the weight off in the long run.

IMO, the last thing you want to do, especially if you're fairly active, is restrict your calories more! My money would be on you not getting enough calories each day as it is. I'd stick it out where you are!

Zumbagurl - they recommend at least 1200 calories for a reason!
  • adiesilver
    adiesilver Posts: 13 Member
    Options

thanks mrscheese... I think my point may be losing something in translation.. so I was at 1640 per MFP for 1lb per week loss and I was exercising bringing me up to almost 2000 calories per day... normally coming in under by a good 200-300 per day uninentionally. So I realized that I could drop down to the 1.5pounds per day which is 1390 doing the same exercise of 250 cal deficit at min puts me back at my original 1640 (give or take) and adding in another workout of 200 puts me back to almost 2000 where I was originally. Im technially not eating any less, its my target calories that are now different. Does this make sense? Guess now Im repeating it - this may be a stupid question.

...so you're not actually changing anything? I don't think I understand the question.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question and the related information. And I didn't consider your comments to be rambling.

I've had almost the exact same results. I've designated Wednesdays as Weigh-In-Wednesdays. I weighed myself this morning and was surprised (and just a little disappointed) to see that I'd lost 1.2 lbs since last Wed, May 2nd. And on that day, I'd lost 1.2lbs since April 27th. So right now with just monitoring my caloric intake, I'm averaging a little over a pound a week.

The main reason I'm so surprised is that my clothes feel noticeably looser and I feel a lot better than I did in mid-April. All that is good news, I know. But I thought it would also be reflected in the scale.

I agree with others comments about not letting your calories drop too low and about fueling your body with good, healthy foods.

Again, thanks for the post. Best of luck!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand then. Are you eating your net calories that MFP recommends, or close to it?

Remember that you can't control how fast you lose. If you're fueling properly and being active, WL is a nice side effect. It takes as long as it takes.
  • chevere94501
    Options
    I think lowering the calories will have negative effects. The low calories will affect your energy levels, maintain your current calories and find a way of burning off.
  • summaryzn
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I iwll keep with the 1lb / week calorie 'allowance' and go ahead and UP my activity so I'm buring/earning an additional 400 calories daily. I like the idea of havin a calorie cushion as well - for the days when im 'over'. I TOTALLY hear what your saying regarding feeding/fueling if your working out .. And Mrs Cheese's comment about it takes as long as it takes was the 'AHA' moment. It's rushing things along that has gotten me back to the starting point all these years. Very effective advice.

Thanks guys! have a great week (and I wil lbe friending you all)
  • Kgreenlaker
    Kgreenlaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site. I had major surgery on my intestines 5 weeks ago and have lost 18 pounds so far. I was only eating about 1100-1200 calories a day due to my recovery. My weight loss stalled about a week ago and I have increased my calorie intake to 1590 as MFP suggests. In the last 3 days I have gained 3 pounds. Should I cut my calories back down to 1200 or should I stay on the path I'm on?