Heart rate monitor recommendation

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked, but I cannot find what I am looking for when I do a search. Basically, what I want to know is if anyone out there has advice on what to look for in a heart rate monitor. I want simple, but effective. Any suggestions?

Replies

• cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this question has been asked, but I cannot find what I am looking for when I do a search. Basically, what I want to know is if anyone out there has advice on what to look for in a heart rate monitor. I want simple, but effective. Any suggestions?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F9!

Polar makes a great one, but I have heard Nike makes a good one too.
  • cinandchris
    Options
    You're so awesome Banks. Don't ever leave us :wink:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I went to Wal-Mart to day and bought the Mio Zone-$27.83 plus tax. It took me 10-15 minutes just to figure out how to set the time, date etc. I did a test run to measure my heart rate and then realized the stupid thing did NOT monitor/keep track of calories burned. So I took it right back in hopes of getting the next model up for $34.88, but they were out of them. I had to go by Target and there's looked pretty crappy. I'll probably just suck it up and get the Polar one. I guess the saying you get what you pay for really applies in this case.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I looked at those Mio ones yesterday at Wal Mart as well, but I didn't like how it only gives you your heart rate "on demand." I really want one that monitors it without my having to "check in" and that will also track calories burned.

I'm saving my pennies for a Polar...
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to get a Polar F6.....I would recommend doing research on this brand/watch style.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar F11 (it's one of the higher level models - but it was on sale for $99 at Amazon, and I've been wanting one for awhile). So far I am liking it. It has some more advanced features that I haven't taken advantage of yet, like developing a workout plan for you with certain periods of time at different heart rate zones. I even wore it swimming today (chest strap and all), and it worked just fine! Though I admit I was disappointed to learn that I am such a slow swimmer that I only burn about 210 calories in 30 minutes (as opposed to 300-400 like this website had suggested). :grumble: But at least now I know, and won't inadvertently overeat, thinking I had burned more.

If you want a simpler model, there are others in the Polar lineup that will probably do what you need and cost less.
  • cinandchris
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have been reading up on the polar and that is the brand I am looking to buy. Still haven't chosen a model yet. I want simple to use, but it has to have all the good stuff. lol
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Banks, how much is the Polar F9? I bought the Mio sport select at Wal Mart but like another member said I hate to have to take my bpm when I start, when it increases and then when it decreases to calculate my calorie burn better. I had no problem setting it all up, pretty simple. With the polar F9, does it calculate your calorie burn automatically? I still have the receipt so I can always return it.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Did I say F9? I don't know why I said that, it's the F6, sorry for that. I love it though, it's awesome.
    I found this on ebay.
    http://tinyurl.com/3j4pjq

The F6 is about 110 bucks or so in stores.
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    I was looking at the sales adds on Sunday. Big 5 sporting good store has a polar F4 for sale. I was looking at a friends paper so I can't remember the price. But I am thinking of going and looking at it. Is a F4 a good model or not?