blisters

mkeithley
mkeithley Posts: 399
edited September 18 in Fitness and Exercise
I ran today outside, first time outside since fall(it was so nice to be off the treadmill). The problem is I have a blister on my foot. I've never had a blister before from running. I'm hoping it's from my new running shoes. Typically i wear my new shoe around a bit before I run in them, for some reason i decided to just put them on and run, is that why I have the blister???:sad:

Replies

• mkeithley
    I ran today outside, first time outside since fall(it was so nice to be off the treadmill). The problem is I have a blister on my foot. I've never had a blister before from running. I'm hoping it's from my new running shoes. Typically i wear my new shoe around a bit before I run in them, for some reason i decided to just put them on and run, is that why I have the blister???:sad:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    It's a new friction spot, so it could just be the new shoes.

Also, I've recently become a convert to paying big dollars for socks. Cotton socks=blister central for me. With my last pair of shoes, I invested in four pairs of high-end socks. They have made a major difference!

:flowerforyou:
  • mkeithley
    It's a new friction spot, so it could just be the new shoes.

Also, I've recently become a convert to paying big dollars for socks. Cotton socks=blister central for me. With my last pair of shoes, I invested in four pairs of high-end socks. They have made a major difference!

:flowerforyou:

Thanks for the sock advice!
    I don't know why I haven't looked into socks before. I know they make them, guess I always thought I didn't need them, they were for other people-not me:laugh:

Is ok to run on the blister tomorrow?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    That depends on your pain tolerance. (not to sound glib)

Here's my very non-medically sound advice and technique. If the blister hasn't gone down, there are these great band-aids made just for blisters. They work really well, and stay on.

Or, you could (ewww...) pop it, drain it and put some "new skin" on it, which is a kind of liquid band-aid. But . . .you didn't hear that one from me.:wink:

The socks are a revelation! Treat yourself, trust me.
  • mkeithley
    Thanks again!
    There's a Wlagreen's a block away, I'll pick up either the blister bandaids or the "new skin" stuff, may try and drain it tomorrow. My pain tolerance is good, so I'll run. I'd rather run on it and be uncomfortable than not run and being the crabby lady all day:laugh:
  • jonboy51
    jonboy51 Posts: 7 Member
    Just a thought from a long time runner.....I used to get blisters all the time. Thought it was just part of the running thing. Then I had a "professional" runner tell me that if I get the right shoes for my feet I should NEVER have blisters....even with brand new shoes. He watched me run, looked at my old shoes and recommended a shoe (that was not the most expensive!) that he said would support my stride and foot type. I have never had another blister in the last 10 years of running, which has included training and running 4 marathons. When running, the ONLY thing you need to invest in is a good pair of running shoes. Get away from the malls, go to a good "running store" such as Fleet Feet, or whatever local running store you have and talk to the pros there. They'll steer you to a pair of shoes that will make running much more enjoyable. Yes, you may pay a bit more for the right pair of shoes. But if they fit you correctly, they should last longer and give you pain free running, which is worth the extra couple of bucks.

One more caveat.....the correct pair of shoes will also help protect your ankles and especially your knees from excess wear and tear. I'm a firm believer in getting the right equipment to make sure you run injury free. BTY, I'm currently 56 and have been running for about 25 years. My knees are in great shape and, as I mentioned, I run without blisters, even when I buy a brand new pair of shoes.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I got carried away.

John L
  • mkeithley
    Just a thought from a long time runner.....I used to get blisters all the time. Thought it was just part of the running thing. Then I had a "professional" runner tell me that if I get the right shoes for my feet I should NEVER have blisters....even with brand new shoes. He watched me run, looked at my old shoes and recommended a shoe (that was not the most expensive!) that he said would support my stride and foot type. I have never had another blister in the last 10 years of running, which has included training and running 4 marathons. When running, the ONLY thing you need to invest in is a good pair of running shoes. Get away from the malls, go to a good "running store" such as Fleet Feet, or whatever local running store you have and talk to the pros there. They'll steer you to a pair of shoes that will make running much more enjoyable. Yes, you may pay a bit more for the right pair of shoes. But if they fit you correctly, they should last longer and give you pain free running, which is worth the extra couple of bucks.

One more caveat.....the correct pair of shoes will also help protect your ankles and especially your knees from excess wear and tear. I'm a firm believer in getting the right equipment to make sure you run injury free. BTY, I'm currently 56 and have been running for about 25 years. My knees are in great shape and, as I mentioned, I run without blisters, even when I buy a brand new pair of shoes.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I got carried away.

John L
    Thanks for the input. I agree it's all about the shoes. I always buy asics and try to get the same style/model if i can. The new pair are the exact same pair I ran in yesterday, just new. I always replace my shoes about every 3 months(I run 6-7 days a week). I have NEVER EVER had blisters from any of my running shoes, not even my crappy nikes I use to have, not even when i was a kid(Sandals are another story:laugh: ). I LOVE my asics, especially this particular style and I always try and buy at the local running store(I dislike crowds and try to avoid the mall). I have no other issues except for this ONE stupid blister :grumble: That's why I'm so dumbfounded by it. I'mcertainly hoping this is the first and last one, especially since these shoes are brand new!!!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    I've got your back Vivakay; Here is my medically very sound advice; yes, you may drain the blister (from an athletic trainer). Sterilize a sewing needle or straight pin under fire, then wipe down with rubbing alcohol. Let it cool before using it (not to sound insulting, but you'd be surprised how many people forget it's hot!).

Insert the needle at the edge where the skin turns from pink to white/clear. You may need to drain it a couple times this week, but it will feel significantly better. Leave the skin on it as long as possible. If it lifts off, trim only what is curling up and irritating and leave the remainder. Keep some neosporin on it if you aren't able to keep it clean, but let the air get to it as much as possible (no bandaid). New skin, second skin, etc are AWESOME products (ran throughout college, so I know by experience) and will get you through your runs.

Good luck!
    Arianne
This discussion has been closed.