Anyone doing CrossFit?

Options
I started CrossFit about a month ago. I'm 48 (in June) with at least 65LBS to lose, so it is very challenging for me. But I am soooo addicted to it now, which is really funny since I am so NOT athletic and never have been. Sometimes I think "this is too hard" but feel so amazed after I finish the workout that I keep going back for more.

It is hard to track exercise with CrossFit since WODs vary everytime. But doing the best I can. Any advise on tracking CrossFit workouts would be appreciated. THX

Replies

• famousa88
    famousa88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting a heart rate monitor. Works great and tells me how long I am in each zone, and counts the calories for me. I wouldnt go back!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM to CrossFit and just log the calories burned as cardio. I also keep track of the WODs with weights used in a spread sheet and in the "Exercise Notes." Lately I've found that my HRM watch gets in the way of lifting especially in the rack position, so I've been strapping to the tie on my pants during lifting.

I LOVE CrossFit!! Good luck!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I started CrossFit about a month ago. I'm 48 (in June) with at least 65LBS to lose, so it is very challenging for me. But I am soooo addicted to it now, which is really funny since I am so NOT athletic and never have been. Sometimes I think "this is too hard" but feel so amazed after I finish the workout that I keep going back for more.

It is hard to track exercise with CrossFit since WODs vary everytime. But doing the best I can. Any advise on tracking CrossFit workouts would be appreciated. THX

I wish I had a local crossfit gym around me.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am soooo interested in Crossfit! I'm wishing we had it in our budget right now because there are a couple around here. I wish you luck! I would be interested in seeing your progress with it!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked too!

I don't track them here, I've just set up my daily goal high enough to account for them.

For example my BMR is 1204, to maintain on a non active day I need 1926, exercise day 2167

I'm working on gaining muscle mass which brings me to 2176 on rest, 2417 exercise day.

I've set my goal to 2300 and and play a bit based on hunger (always hungrier the day AFTER a big lift day) and try not to go below 2176 and don't worry about going over.

Trying to log the exercise and eat back certain amounts seems alittle too tricky, and the need for those extra calories may come later than the day they are logged, so i try to keep a high average to account and then let how I feel be a guide.

You could do something similar with your deficit, find an average between your active and non active days....

I wouldn't want to wear a monitor if I didn't have to.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Seems like circuit training would be the closest as far as the database goes since everything is for time.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Here's is the link to the CrossFit group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/116-crossfit-love
  • Philis64
    Philis64 Posts: 27
    Options
    CrossFit is an expense/splurge in our budget. But in my case it is pretty much a necessity I feel. And way cheaper than a personal trainer. Love the camaraderie of the group. Can't beat it. I need the accountability and social aspects to keep focused.

In the long run it is cheaper than staying fat/unhealthy. An investment in my health, but I know I am blessed to be able to afford it. (Thank You, Lord) My two older sons go as well, which makes me happy, since I pretty much dragged them into it. They are liking it and know they need it.

Check the different gyms. The one closest to me is significantly more expensive, and some have family plans and referral incentives.