This is bad...help

Options
I started fitnesspall last week and i have not excersied sinse i started i really think this is my bigest proplem is getting out of the house.....if i was still working i dont think it would be a proplem. Since i have gotten laid off i wonder if im slipping into a depression. grrrrrrrrr....makes me mad that i cant get excited about it. Someone please give me something good to work with.:explode:

Replies

• Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I personally like 10 minute solution Pilates with Resistance Bands. Though I"m suffering from depression and can't get into the happy mood that the pilates usually puts me in, so I've been putting it off, it feels like a chore and I don't want to work out if it feels like a chore, I want work outs to be something I WANT to do.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It is a vicious cycle! Exercise will actually help the depression. do you have any exercise videos? Can you rent them from the library? How about stairs? If you have stairs in your house you can do different exercises on the stairs for a few minutes each day, that might help the motiviation to want to do more!
  • lexi1015
    Options
    I would try and get a work out buddy. That way you can push them to work out and they can push you.
  • Jenmadison
    Options
    I know how you feel i used to play sports all the time in hight school, was on alot of differnt teams.....i also suffer fun a little bit of depression, did really think i had it tell my husband was diagnossed with lung cancer, so far he's good but just seems like i cant get out of this funk i'm in. I do have stairs and tapes i bought some last year called core rhythms...there good but some are a little fast. Maybe i could make alot of cash if i put the on funniest home videos...lol. I think im going to try the stairs. If i didnt live so far out of town i would do curve. I really like the place but i live in the out side of town in the country. I do know one thing i really like this site and have meet some really neat people on hear. Everyone have a great first day of FALL.:frown:
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I am in the same situation I lost my job 3 weeks ago and was doing really well with using this site and working out. A week after I lost my job I found I lost weight because of the stress then I gained it back. I find myself out of my normal routine. I did what someone else suggusted and got a work out buddy she is also off work. It has really helped get motavated again. I think I was starting to get depressed and working out did help. good luck!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your husband - I hope he's got good care to help him fight this!

How about starting out with a walk? As long as the weather is nice it seems a shame not to enjoy it. Soon we'll be in for three or more months of snow and/or rain, depending where you live. If your husband is able to walk with you, it would probably do him good too.
  • shannie_lou
    shannie_lou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is a great one to help if you don't have a lot of motivation. Any Leslie Sansone walking videos. They are easy enough for the beginner and allow for more difficult moves as your endurance improves. She is incredibly positive and supportive--you can do as little as one mile or as high as five. She helps with the feelings of inadequacy or not feeling motivated. Google her!!
  • heathyr
    Options
    ever since i started this website, i have at least tried to stick with the 64 plus ounces of water. i truly believe that the water is giving me the energy to go out and do physical things. i used to sleep all the time, now i don't even feel the need to go back to sleep after my kid gets on the school plus.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I like the walking suggestion. When I started this whole process running or jogging really wasn't a good option for me. So I started walking. It's easy, there's no trepidation going into it, and you get outside. Walking also relaxes. Not only that, you can get a freind to walk with you and have a conversation.

There is this this preception that to "work out" you have to get all sweaty and kill yourself. If you're starting from an absolute 0 level of fitness, don't worry about target heart rates, and "Fat buring zone", whatever that is,...Just do SOMETHING that involves MOVEMENT. You can worry about all that other stuff later.

For a long time I had this mentality that "Well I don't have enough time to do a "good" workout, so I'll just sit here on the couch and do whatever" NO, NO, NO. Start with something easy, and as you feel better and and become more healthy you'll want to start trying the more rigourous work outs.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I agree with the "do something". Anything. Walk, do situps, do planks while watching TV. go ride a bike around the block. Walk your dog if you have one. Anything that gets you moving will help, and as you keep doing it will be easier to continue, and to do more.
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That's when it's time for a fun day. Everyone is probably getting tired of seeing me say this, but it's SOO SOO helpful for me...

Take a class, learn something new, do something FUN. Take up photography and go for a nature walk. Go hiking, swimming, spelunking, rock climbing. Take a dance class. Ballet, hip hop, modern, jazz, salsa, whatever! Become a bird watcher. (But no bench sitting!) Take a nice long walk to somewhere pretty and have a picnic!

The point is, excersize doesn't have to mean "working out." If you're not in that place yet, then find some fun things to do, and let the excersize be the added bonus. :wink:

You CAN do this. If you're thinking about these things, then the next step is to put your brain on autopilot. Stop thinking and be spontaneous. And if you're HATING life and want to stop 15 minutes in, you can. Because it's still 15 minutes more than you would have done, sitting on your couch and thinking about it. :wink: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • swissdutchess
    Options
    go for walks, that's a start. it might help to start small, and then work up to bigger things. do things you enjoy like walking, swimming, riding bikes, etc. you can do it. :)
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I agree with ALL thee above and I want to point out that each person posting really does "CARE" what you and your husband are going through so when those blue times are surrounding you think of each suggesting that has helped them and just try it! Many of us have felt depressed and I do truly believe that lack of water and exercise are a major cause. We all ask that you try these suggestions and if you still feel funky make a visit to your doctor! I am sending you a hug and I will say a prayer for YOU and your Husband! Please take care of you so you can be there when your husband will depend on you for strength!
    vhuber