Nesting?

Options
kristen49233
kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
Any empty nesters out there? My 22 year old daughter moved into her own apartment this past weekend along with her cat. It's always just been her and I (single parent) in the house...so this is quite a transition for me. I was telling a co-worker that last night I went home and did 3 hours of yard work, and this morning before leaving for work I cleaned out cupboards (since it's garbage day). She said that I must be nesting!

Nesting? Never really heard of this before. Anyone other empty nesters and what did you do to "nest"?

Replies

• bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've only ever heard of nesting in the context of preparing for a baby to arrive. My pregnant friends are going through a stage of cleaning the whole house top to bottom, twice, in the same day and also folding and re-folding baby clothes.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've heard of nesting when your pregnant, its that period of time you clean the house from top to bottom to get ready for the babies arrival.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    the only time I ever heard of nesting is when a pregnant woman starts doing all sorts of cleaning, and rearranging and all that kind of thing to get ready for the baby.

I guess empty nest syndrome could cause a similar behavior. You are cleaning to occupy your time and your mind and the silence. Maybe you should go adopt yourself a cat at your local shelter? Find a hobby? You will eventually run out of things to clean. You could redecorate.
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I can't really speak from experience but I know that after me and my brother had moved out of home, my Mum decided she wanted to move and so set in motion some home improvements and cleared out alot of stuff so that when they DID eventually move they would not have any unnecessary junk to move with them.
    It's one of life's big transition periods and I'm sure you will adjust to it soon. :smile:
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I nested before giving birth to my daughter. I suppose you could be reorganizing the nest now it's just you! I can imagine you've got plans for the place. Just go with it. =)
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nesting is what pg ladies do right before giving birth isn't it? I will have an empty nest in the fall.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm an empty nester....both our Girls are done with college and successfully working/on their own. It was a huge adjustment for us (married to my best friend for almost 30 yrs in July). At first I worked very hard around the house,thinking that's what I needed to do, paint/change things around etc, then it dawned on me....it's our turn to enjoy life. Our daughters live fairly close to us...one is 1.5 hours away in one direction, the other is 2 hours in opposite direction, so we are lucky to see them alot. It takes adjusting, but you will soon find you enjoy your time and will find time to do things you never did before. Hopefully your daughter lives close enough so you can visit and see her often. Best wishes to you, add me if you'd like. By the way, awesome wt. loss for you! Congrats!
    Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • debloves2ride
    debloves2ride Posts: 386
    Options
    "nesting" usually applies when you are expecting a new arrival or something similar. It is a hard adjustment to be alone and have an empty nest. When my last child moved out I was lonely as heck. My husband was still there - but not the same. You will be lonely, and maybe even a little down, but keeping busy like you did is what works. I took up a new hobby and now with technology you can skype and stay in touch so much easier. My husband and I always said our job is to raise our children to be responsibile members of society. we did and now it is wonderful . relax and enjoy!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Now is your time to dedicate a ton of hours to working out, getting fit and taking care of yourself, and when you two go to the beach to hang out, your beach body will rival hers. :devil:
  • kristen49233
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: Well she definately had it wrong then....not preggo here. No way!! Absolutely not! That would just be a really cruel joke by God if I was.

What's funny is that she is pregnant and about ready to pop any day now! So she should know what nesting is!!
  • kristen49233
    Options
    Yes, I'm an empty nester....both our Girls are done with college and successfully working/on their own. It was a huge adjustment for us (married to my best friend for almost 30 yrs in July). At first I worked very hard around the house,thinking that's what I needed to do, paint/change things around etc, then it dawned on me....it's our turn to enjoy life. Our daughters live fairly close to us...one is 1.5 hours away in one direction, the other is 2 hours in opposite direction, so we are lucky to see them alot. It takes adjusting, but you will soon find you enjoy your time and will find time to do things you never did before. Hopefully your daughter lives close enough so you can visit and see her often. Best wishes to you, add me if you'd like. By the way, awesome wt. loss for you! Congrats!
    Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! She lives about 45 minutes away, so I know we'll see each other frequently. But you are right...it is our turn to enjoy life! Thanks for the invite to add...will do!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Nesting is where you get busy and prepare your house for a new arrival when you are pregnant. Empty nest syndrome is where you are depressed because your baby has left the nest and you are in transition to get used to them being gone. I feel for you.
  • PinkKareBear
    Options
    Nesting is generally a term used when a pregnant woman is nearing labor. It's an instinct that varies from woman to woman to help prepare for the birth of her child. She feels the urge to clean and declutter everything in sight, and re-clean and re-declutter, even when it's not necessary! Obviously you're not pregnant, but if you haven't heard of "nesting" before, there's the background for you!
  • kristen49233
    Options
    Now is your time to dedicate a ton of hours to working out, getting fit and taking care of yourself, and when you two go to the beach to hang out, your beach body will rival hers. :devil:

Very true! Actually, we are going on vacation together the 1st week in July...someplace nice and sunny that calls for living in our bathing suits! I still have a months weeks to prepare!