Anyone else sleep eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    There is a simple solution: use a combination lock for all the food items you do not want to be sleep eating.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You are a sleepwalker. My son is one too, but he has never made a meal or eaten while sleeping. But he has taken things like knick knacks, phone chargers and things like that and moved them to another room. Or hide them in his own room. When you ask him if he'd seen them he says no and is totally floored when I find them in his drawer! I have seen him sleepwalk. His eyes are open but he can't comprehend anything you say to him. I just have to let him do whatever until he goes back to bed.

It's really strange.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There is a simple solution: use a combination lock for all the food items you do not want to be sleep eating.

unless you are a renter and cant damage the cupboards that way or the fridge appliance like I am Plus the kids have to be able to get up and make their breakfast before going to school
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

unless you are a renter and cant damage the cupboards that way or the fridge appliance like I am Plus the kids have to be able to get up and make their breakfast before going to school

It's also not a simple solution because you'd have to not know the combinations to guarantee that it would work. That information is stored in the brain, awake or not, and could be just as easily accessed.

It's a BETTER solution to review your medications and concerns with a doctor. They may be able to develop a plan, or have a sleep study done to determine just what's going on when you get up and do this.

When I was a child, I would sleepwalk after supposed nightmares and go rock myself in the rocking chair for 10 minutes. It really can be an acute response to emotional and/or physical stress.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This can definitely be a side effect of some medicines.

I have never sleep eaten, but I dream about food a lot and I always have. It's always something fornidden like chocolate chip cookies or lasagna.
  • littlegreenapple
    Options
    Hi, I have been struggling with this for over a year. I have probably had fewer than 20 nights or so through which I slept the whole night without waking up and "needing" to have a snack. I am conscious, to an extent. I remember it the next morning pretty well, and I log it even while it is happening. I think I am thirsty, I work out lots and don't drink enough water, but I also have a history of restrictive eating. But this just cropped up for me around wedding planning time and I thought it would go away when I got married but it did not, it is a habit now. I normally go for carbs -- toast with honey or fruit. Sometimes I will add PB or cheese so at least I get some protein in there so I don't have to eat so much later. Sometimes I wake up two or three times and do this. I have sought help on some levels but not medical assistance yet. I do not want to take pills. I just want it to go away.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    My fiance does this. It is really interesting to read about why he does. I get so angry at him... I hate when he comes to bed smelling like food...lol