Building Muscle

Options
How soon after starting a strength training program can you build muscle?

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Depends on a lot of different factors:

- Your diet (protein intake)
    - Your genetics
    - How much you're lifting
    - How often you're lifting
    - Etc.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Are you talking about bulk or strength? Bulk only comes in a calorie surplus, strength will depend on how heavy you are lifing.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Zero2hero2013 Posts: 458
    Options
    strength and muscle is different. anyways.

you should notice massive strength improvement over the first month when you brain to muscle conections get better. if your eating around 300 calories over maintenance consistantly and training heavy with weights ladies can build 1/4-1/2 lb a week slightly more as a complete beginer who never did anything with weights. alot less if your experienced and been at it for 12+ months.

generally speaking you should be aiming to increase your scale by 1-2 lb a month that way you shouldnt gain much fat and 90% of the weight will be muscle built.

hope this gives you a brief idea.
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Are you talking about bulk or strength? Bulk only comes in a calorie surplus, strength will depend on how heavy you are lifing.

Strength not bulk. Not heavy.
  • Livin_Large
    Options

Strength not bulk. Not heavy.

Also, I want to build muscle, (Not bulk.) and lose fat. Is the only way to lose fat to do cardio?
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase your strength and burn fat start lifting heavy. Some good programs are New Rules Of Lifting for women or Stronglifts 5x5 which you can google and is free online! I am almost through the first stage of NROLW and have been eating at maintence for the last month with hardly any cardio ( just walking on my lunch break for 30 min) lifting heavy 3 times a week and my weight has pretty much stayed stable yet my BF% has gone down and I have lost inches (specifics are listed on my profile).
  • getfitbesexy
    Options

Also, I want to build muscle, (Not bulk.) and lose fat. Is the only way to lose fat to do cardio?

Cardio is not the only way you can lose fat :) You can do circuit training, HIIT, super-setting when lifting. There are plenty of fun ways to burn fat and go on to leaning out and defining your muscles. I can send you some routines that i do!

It also depends what you are eating through out the day, and having a good post-workout drink is key as well. Are you feeding your body the right ingredients to burn fat and help build muscle? I use Vi shakes because it helps me to burn fat while building muscle. I've seen a major difference when incorporating all these things :)
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    edit: usually it's one or the other (build muscle or lose fat)
    but for a beginner it may be possible.
  • Livin_Large
    Options

Cardio is not the only way you can lose fat :) You can do circuit training, HIIT, super-setting when lifting. There are plenty of fun ways to burn fat and go on to leaning out and defining your muscles. I can send you some routines that i do!

It also depends what you are eating through out the day, and having a good post-workout drink is key as well. Are you feeding your body the right ingredients to burn fat and help build muscle? I use Vi shakes because it helps me to burn fat while building muscle. I've seen a major difference when incorporating all these things :)

I'd love to see what you're doing. I'm doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS right now. And I have about 50 lbs to lose. My diary is open to friends so you can read what I'm eating. I'm very new to all of this and I don't go to a gym. I'm doing this all at home.
  • Ironphoenix
    Ironphoenix Posts: 36
    Options
    Hey, in reply to steve :) if you read BFFM by Tom Venuto there is a concept that you can't be doing both at the same time but you can cycle from one to the other even within the short time frame of a day. Look at Adam Waters etc... Anyway, thought I'd throw that in there :D lol
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I did zero cario and gained muscle and lost fat. I went from 24% body fat to 19% without ever doing cardio.

But like someone else said - newbies can do that sometimes.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    women won't bulky/huge, not naturally anyway. So if you gain muscle you aren't going to get bulky.