The perfect time to exercise????

Options
I am have been experimenting with finding the perffect time to exercise. I am not a morning person at all so it makes it very difficulty for me to get up at5am to exercise before getting ready to work. The evenings are just as difficult.

Lately I have been getting my workouts in at 9pm for about an hour in my home gym. This has been working but I wanted to see what others are doing tofit it all in .

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I exercise at lunch. It's the only time I can possibly fit anything in. We get a one-hour break so it's 5 minutes of prep, 45 minutes of working out, and a 10-minute shower-dryoff-change-run-to-desk...

The "perfect" time to exercise is when it feels best to you and you can fit it in to your schedule. That may be more often than once a day.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is definitely when you can get yourself to do it consistently. I had very similar issues to what you described. My personal best time is during my lunch break. The gym is very close to work. I've been going nearly every day for the past two and a half years now. Before finding this time I really struggled. I tried going in the evenings, but so many days I just wanted to go home after a long day. I find the break in the middle of the day very refreshing; it actually gives me more energy to get through the rest of the day.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Best time for me is right after work. I am not a morning person, and I already wake up at 5:30am for work. Nighttime after the kids sleep is very hard because I am drained by then, although I had done it when I need to.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Best time is when you have the time. I do it in the morning beacuse I have 5 kids and no way in HECK I can do much in the evening. However, we do inlcude the family in boxing at our local gym so we can all get some exercise.

Be aware that some people have a difficult time getting to sleep if they exercise too late...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you is the best in the long run. You are more likely to stick with it. I do mornings. I don't have the energy or patience at night to do it.
  • vthetigercat
    Options
    I've heard that the best time to exercise is around 3-4 pm, because that is when your body temperature peaks, or something to that effect. I tried it and I did get a lot sweatier.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    Right after work is best for me. If I try to get up in the morning I am just too tired. Now on weekends, I'll do it after I wake up, but I don't get up early to do it.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    i go right after work - traffic is miserable in NJ - try to prep work out clothes for week... (2 or 3 days at a time)... put it on my "calendar" as an appt for self....

ususally can get 1 or 2 days in per week.. and try to find time for a quick walk on Sat..

work 40 hrs per week + 2 hrs each day for commute (1 hr each way)...

errands and life can get in the way but make time for yourself and everything seems to all into place...
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I hate hate hate hate mornings but really try to do my half hr. workout then. It's a great way to start the day. Today, however, I decided to do it when I get home from work this evening. I pick and choose my morning workouts. LOL.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Well... I usually get up early, like 5:00 am at the latest on work days M-F, 6:30 on the weekends. Last night I went to bed at 10 and woke up at 3 am. Tossed & turned until 3:45, got up, got dressed, grabbed my Ipod shuffle and went jogging until 4:45! I was a little worried about being out when it's still dark and no cars around, so I stayed on the sidewalk of the main road. It was great! So motivating to start the day with a calorie deficit. IF I could get up like that everyday, I think it would be my favorite time of day. The only time I get to go now is two hours after I'm done working when the place I go opens up or in the evenings. If only I didn't have to work, I'd start everyday with working out before I did anything else!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I am have been experimenting with finding the perffect time to exercise. I am not a morning person at all so it makes it very difficulty for me to get up at5am to exercise before getting ready to work. The evenings are just as difficult.

Lately I have been getting my workouts in at 9pm for about an hour in my home gym. This has been working but I wanted to see what others are doing tofit it all in .

The best time to exercise depends on your goals...For fat lost..Morning Cardio on an empty stomach is the best time...as your glycogen levels are high and you are going to burn more stored fat.....

For people who are trying to gain mass, bulk up, or get stronger...the best time to do strength training is an hour or two after your mid day....

But really...anytime is a good time to exercise as long as you get it in...

I prefer to do heavy cardio in the AM, and heavy strength training with light cardio after work.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, sometimes I can barely get out of bed to get to work on time.

Then when i get home it is time to cook dinner.

Then after dinner I've just eaten and I get all burpy if I work out.

So 7 or 8 PM rolls around and it's the perfect time.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can do it consistently!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I prefer the end of the day. That way I am nice and tired when I hit the bed.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the best time is individual to each person - when you can do it and stick to it.

For me, that is early morning. My alarm goes off at 5am M-F. I am - by no means - a morning person. It was very difficult at first, but now it's so routine that it's not a big deal at all. And, I've found it is *infinitely* easier to do thta M-F and to try to do that MWF or only a couple of days a week.

My husband works out after work. By alternating our times, it keeps our home life in check. He does a lot of the morning routine with the kids while I'm working out. I get dinner going and the afternoon routine with the kids while he works out.

Just find what works for you.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The best time is whenever is easiest for you. You simply wont commit long term to an exercise routine if you are rigid about finding the right time. Sometimes ill exercise in the morning on weekends because i have family events in the evening. On week days I exercise either in the afternoon if there is plenty of daylight left to go outside... or sometimes up till 10pm if i just don't get to it right away. Either way... the weight comes off and my fitness goes up...

The ONLY consideration... if you do a VERY hard workout (like intervals) it can take a while for the body to wind down. It can sometimes make it hard for me to fall asleep.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    every chance you get.

i mean, if you aren't lying about wanting it.
  • plumagirl
    plumagirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I workout after work around 2 pm. I would never do it before work, because I already wake up at 4:30am to get ready and leave by 5. It would be ridiculous to wake up any earlier! Workout at anytime that is right for your life style.
  • angelboyd
    angelboyd Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree !!!!!
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Always in the morning. I've found if I don't workout within 20 minutes of getting up, I won't do it. I say "oh I'll do it after class/lunch/studying" and it never happens. So I wake up at 6 am, roll out of bed, wash my face, get my exercise clothes and shoes on and go for it. Might have a piece of fruit and sip on coffee throughout it, but I have to do it early. Whatever works for you!