A question from an exercise newbie.

Options
angeldaae
angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
When you have sore muscles from exercise, are you likely also retaining water?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most likely yes. When you workout your muscles you create micro tears and the muscles retain water to protect them and to aid in recovery.
  • angeldaae
    Options
    Thank you. I started exercising this week and may have overdone it. I'm very sore, but also I have not lost this week and am actually showing a slight gain (.3 lbs). I will attribute it to water retention.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think so. A lot of people experience a weight gain after a hard work out and after a few days it goes back down.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness has more to do with lactic acid build up. However, I usually do retain water in my hands and feet after working out, but it typically only lasts for a few hours. Just be sure to drink 16-20oz. of water before, during, and after your workout. It helps keep your organs functioning efficiently so that you don't hold on to water. I would also stay away from the sports drinks as they have extra sodium in them. The only time I would use a sports drink is if I plan on hours and hours of high intensity activity.

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical expert, nutritionist, or fitness pro. I'm simply going on personal experience.

:smile:

Edited to ask: Are you asking this because of sudden weight increase? Or because of tightness in your extremities after working out? I was answering based on the latter assumption. :ohwell:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Unless you're on some kind of Nasa-calibrated scale 0.3lbs means nothing.

I'd even go as far as to argue with the fluctuating fluid and food content of the average human body, anything up to 2lbs or so means nothing.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am suffering from this exact same thing. All my muscles are killing me and i have put 2.5 lb on. I am so glad i am not the only one. Please feel free to add me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    When you have sore muscles from exercise, are you likely also retaining water?
    Yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Muscle soreness has more to do with lactic acid build up. However, I usually do retain water in my hands and feet after working out, but it typically only lasts for a few hours. Just be sure to drink 16-20oz. of water before, during, and after your workout. It helps keep your organs functioning efficiently so that you don't hold on to water. I would also stay away from the sports drinks as they have extra sodium in them. The only time I would use a sports drink is if I plan on hours and hours of high intensity activity.

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical expert, nutritionist, or fitness pro. I'm simply going on personal experience.

Edited to ask: Are you asking this because of sudden weight increase? Or because of tightness in your extremities after working out? I was answering based on the latter assumption. :ohwell:
    Actually muscle soreness it due to micro trauma to the muscle.

IDEA Fitness member
  • angeldaae
    Options
    Unless you're on some kind of Nasa-calibrated scale 0.3lbs means nothing.

If my weekly weigh-in showed a loss of 0.3, I wouldn't call that "nothing."
  • angeldaae
    Options
    Thank you, Niner.

BTW, I would love to take a real kickboxing class some day when I'm in better shape. I do TurboJam and I love it.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Actually muscle soreness it due to micro trauma to the muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

In fairness, I DID post a disclaimer that I'm not an expert, but rather going on personal experience. I'm simply stating what I have been told over the last 8-10yrs by various individuals who ARE medical and fitness professionals.

FYI, I just KNEW that you would have something to say about my comment. :wink: :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In fairness, I DID post a disclaimer that I'm not an expert, but rather going on personal experience. I'm simply stating what I have been told over the last 8-10yrs by various individuals who ARE medical and fitness professionals.

FYI, I just KNEW that you would have something to say about my comment. :wink: :laugh:
    Lol, I saw the disclaimer, just wanted to convey that actual muscle soreness is due to micro trauma. And here's more: eccentric contraction (when muscle lengthens during exercise) is what's responsible for muscle soreness and micro trauma.
    Just for fun.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kkleesmama
    kkleesmama Posts: 13
    Options
    I suffered this exact same sorness last week after intense circuit training. I had to take 3 days to recover. I read up on way to relieve the pain (ice, heat, salt bath, elevate, rest)... Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to avoid this torture? I drink lots of water before, during and after. I'm scared it's going to happen again next time I hit the gym.