Needing some strength training guidance

Options
I JUST bought myself a gym membership to my local YMCA with the intention of starting to strength train but i'm not sure where to start! my gym has free weights and machines plus a *****in' cardio area and swimming pool + all sorts of programs available. i currently run every other day and on the days that i won't be running, i'd like to be at my gym using the machines and free weights to build muscle and lose weight.

so uh help? i'd like to keep track of what i'm doing using a rep sheet, so basically logging manually what i'm doing at the gym as i do it.

Replies

• MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    group fitness is fun and time flies! I do core and body toning in a class and that seems to help a lot- no counting in your head!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, and the programs Starting strength and Stronglifts 5x5. Any of these 3 programs are great for those looking at getting involved in strength training.
  • erickirb
    Options
    group fitness is fun and time flies! I do core and body toning in a class and that seems to help a lot- no counting in your head!

These courses are cardio (endurance) based using weights, they are not strength training, and will only help a bit in that department.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women

this
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Highly recomend doing new rules of lifting for women

it outlines alot of great exercises you can do to get a whole body workout, and is very helpful especially if you're unfamiliar with things at your gym
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I joined my local YMCA and I got a free fitness consult with a personal trainer. I would check if your's offers the same thing. He/she should be able to get you started in the right direction.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Do you have the MFP app? If so, just search the strength database for the machines you have at the gym to be able to log them on your phone while you're working out. As for getting started, ask the gym if they have a free training session for new members. If so, they can show you how to use the machines. If you want to start a specific program, there are tons of them on the internet that you can download and print out to take with you to the gym. I have some workout cards on my facebook fan page that might help you with putting together your own program. They can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Training-With-Tonya/231103626354?sk=photos
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Another option is to pick up the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips. He espouses 20 minute weight workouts every other day. So one week it might be like this: Monday: Upper Body (shoulders, chest, back and arms), Wednesday: Lower Body (thighs, hams, quads and abs), Friday: back to upper body .... and so forth. He offers the idea of increasing the intensity of each rep. You will find that 20 minutes, three days per week will be all you need. Good luck!
    Tom
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Start with the machines. I'm sure someone at the Y can show you, if you have questions. The machines will "help" ensure you are using proper form (super important).
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I joined my local YMCA and I got a free fitness consult with a personal trainer. I would check if your's offers the same thing. He/she should be able to get you started in the right direction.

my membership comes with something called "member connect", i'm not sure if it's a free session or what. i'll ask tomorrow when i go. that'd be great, just having someone to point me in the right direction.
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    Start with the machines. I'm sure someone at the Y can show you, if you have questions. The machines will "help" ensure you are using proper form (super important).

This is what I was thinking... I'm definitely going to look into getting some guidance from a trainer as well :)
  • erickirb
    Options

This is what I was thinking... I'm definitely going to look into getting some guidance from a trainer as well :)

actually machines are not that great and do not teach proper form. Machines make you conform to their range of motion and plane of movement, which may not align with what is natural for your body and thus can cause injury. Free weights with proper form are much safer and the results are much better.
  • Crohm1
    Crohm1 Posts: 3
    Options

actually machines are not that great and do not teach proper form. Machines make you conform to their range of motion and plane of movement, which may not align with what is natural for your body and thus can cause injury. Free weights with proper form are much safer and the results are much better.

I agree. Learning the form is as important as the motion itself. My best personal results are from free weights and pushups/dips/crunches.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, and the programs Starting strength and Stronglifts 5x5. Any of these 3 programs are great for those looking at getting involved in strength training.

Yeah what he said!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I am reading the NROLFW right now. Maybe I am not far enough into the book, but I am have a hard time finding the actual programs. Will it become clearer?
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options

This! Don't be afraid of heavy weight lifting - you won't get bulky because of your hormones - but you will see very positive body changes :flowerforyou:
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    I should point out that I have a pre-existing back issue that makes it hard for me to do push-ups as well as a knee with limited motion from an injury (non-work out/sports related, I passed out at work!).
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I am reading the NROLFW right now. Maybe I am not far enough into the book, but I am have a hard time finding the actual programs. Will it become clearer?

keep reading the book, the actual lifting program is towards the end of the book.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I should point out that I have a pre-existing back issue that makes it hard for me to do push-ups as well as a knee with limited motion from an injury (non-work out/sports related, I passed out at work!).

there are many variations of alot of exercises to. For example, the first stage of NROLFW, you are supposed to do pushups but there are variations of how to do it (on an incline, etc) as well as different variations for exercises like squats and lunges as well.

If you cant do a specific exercise because of your injuries, in many cases you can find a similar way to do it that will not irritate the injury
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options

keep reading the book, the actual lifting program is towards the end of the book.

It's a library book, and it is due in 3 days, so I'd better skip ahead....LOL