What was I thinking?

Options
Is the question I've asked myself the most lately.

Today I did my workout and felt great for the first time in over 3 days since my drinking and sugar binge. That little stunt set me back a week or so but I was determined not to let it get the better of me. I stood there, covered in sweat and proud that I'd worked hard, as I recovered I realised that my thoughts had turned positive... amongst which was the want to go out and get drunk. Why would I do that to myself? I am so close to finally getting what I want yet I seem to want to trade it all in for a few pints and a stupid drunken eating binge.

I'm seriously getting on my own nerves. My family, friends and fellow MFPers have done nothing but support me... there must be something wrong in my head, some reason that I don't want to be happy. I don't understand it at all, why is food and alcohol a crutch? Sure they make me feel better for a moment but that's got a snowballs chance in hell of lasting the rest of my life... the alternative is such a better horse.

I feel like a bulimic that doesn't have the guts to purge. I don't know what to do. This can't be right. :grumble:

Replies

• limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Success can actually be a pretty common a trigger for 'naughty' behaviors. I don't know about you, but for me 'diets' were always something temporary, and I often felt that once I got to whatever goal, then I could drop all this healthy lifestyle nonsense. Logically I understand that isn't what I'd like to do, but in my back of my mind fitness is still a temporary thing. Maybe you also just need to practice enjoying your success in a way that is fulfilling to you (and doesn't involve drunken binges - been there btw)

Anywhoo, just a thought. Go easy on yourself mentally
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with alcohol sabotaging my success as well. I think it might be safe to say at this point that the desire to drink might be caused by something deeper than you realize, or something that you might need help getting under control. I can tell your frustrated. Have you thought about talking with a counselor?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I feel like a bulimic that doesn't have the guts to purge. I don't know what to do. This can't be right. :grumble:

Wow, I so know how you feel! Some days are going to be harder than others. We will probably always struggle with binges of many types. Most of our lives we've been conditioned to use food as an escape for all the other crap going on in our lives. It's also celebration! It's like no matter what is going on in life, it centers around food! What's a person supposed to do?
    Same deal with alcohol.

It's so hard when you really truly want the healthier lifestyle, and the old habits come back and bite you. I'm lucky in the sense that I can't go back to gorging myself with bread or drinking myself stupid. I am allergic to the yeast in those things. But it doesn't stop all the other binging I do. And I feel so sick when I do it too. I don't understand the need for it!

The first step is realizing there is a problem. The next is seeking out help. I think you've got that! Good for you! :wink:
  • Fitfaery
    Fitfaery Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey! Stop beating yourself up. You got back on the wagon by sweating your *kitten* off, right?

The reason you fall back on alcohol and food to make yourself feel good is because this is how you/ your life/ experiences have programmed you to react to stuff. It is taking time and lots of will power to change a lifetimes habits.

You CAN do this x But remember at the same time that you are only human x
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I think we all go through this. I'm close to half the size I used to be, but when I look in the mirror, I'm completely disgusted by what's still there. We just have to tell ourselves that that's just the old mindset talking and move on.
  • missmaggiejane
    Options
    My aunt suffered with the same problem for YEARS. But little by little she worked her way through it. It's not easy and she had PLENTY of mood swings and fights to go along with her frustration. But today she is so happy and she's half the size she used to be. It's not easy, but keep it up. You'll get over it!

If you really struggle then perhaps you should get a close friend or a family member to keep you accountable. Let them know when you're struggling and want to hit the bar. Let them help you by talking you out of it. Or perhaps you can find something that if you feel the need to drink, you can do that instead. What's something that you really enjoy doing? Do that instead. Maybe it's playing a video game for 20 minutes, cooking up a new meal, or heck even going for a slow paced walk outside with some fresh air. Whatever worked for you...you should do it! :]
  • eatmeingo
    eatmeingo Posts: 134
    Options
    I constantly have to catch myself with this! "If the number on the scale is lower than x, then I could maybe have some y to eat/drink...." But we have to remember: we're not dogs, we don't reward ourselves with food! Try to work it into something more positive. Create goals and reward yourself with things that'll last. New clothes, tattoos, anything that will make you feel good and not harm your weight loss or your life (with the drinking.) Sure, you can have bad days here and there but remember it's only x days out of a month. Out of a year.
  • wendangi
    wendangi Posts: 7
    Options
    Hang in there. Everything in moderation if you need a beverage. I don't mean to be rude, but have you asked you self why you feel the need to get drunk? Are you using alcohol as an escape from something else? Its just something to think about to gain a better understanding of yourself.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I was just asking a friend something similar - what is it in my brain that correlates eating/drinking binges with "reward?"

It might taste good (duh) or be fun at the time, but I invariably end up feeling like crap for days afterwards.

I'm thinking less and less that it's worth a few hours of 'Whee!'
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Today I did my workout and felt great for the first time in over 3 days since my drinking and sugar binge. That little stunt set me back a week or so but I was determined not to let it get the better of me. I stood there, covered in sweat and proud that I'd worked hard, as I recovered I realised that my thoughts had turned positive... amongst which was the want to go out and get drunk. Why would I do that to myself? I am so close to finally getting what I want yet I seem to want to trade it all in for a few pints and a stupid drunken eating binge.

I'm seriously getting on my own nerves...

I have had the same urge, "Hey I wanna get drunk!" for no reason-- not particularly sad, bored, happy, just a random thought. Fact is, substance abuse runs in my family, so there's probably some button in my brain that just keeps getting pushed. What I do is, ignore that thinking that says to get a drink, or I talk back to it. As time goes by the thought comes to my head less and less. It's a habit, and there is addiction involved. If you're like me, it's mostly a willpower issue, and that gets stronger the more you practice.

I've been to AA meetings, keeping grandma company (she was a 30-year sobriety member), and I don't think it would help me... it was a lot of "it's not your fault" which I don't exactly agree with, and AA can be very religious which is not my scene. But maybe you can try a meeting, see if they offer the type of support that would help you.

You can also talk to a doctor, there's a pill you can take every day that doesn't do anything except, when you drink, the pill makes you VOMIT. Might be a good habit and preventive measure you can do for yourself. Sorry I don't know what it's called. Maybe consider therapy too, a professional can be a big support and help in changing thinking habits. If I sense another bad cycle of drinking coming on for me, I'm gonna get myself to a professional, because I don't want to end up like the rest of my family :(

Sounds like you're struggling through-- keep struggling! Careful not to talk down to yourself, it's not always a moral issue. Do your best, surround yourself with people who will cut you off after one beer <-- that may be a big one.

Biology and genetics can be a b*tch, and it's not fair. Just keep at it. You can change your fate! It's even been shown that genetics can change given the right stimuli. Keep treating yourself right and your body will come along for the ride eventually.

Good luck.
  • bjules79
    bjules79 Posts: 8
    Options
    Echo: don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds so repetitive and trite, but this is a lifestyle change. With that comes the process of chaning how we think. As someone mentioned, dieting seems like a temporary thing, that we cut out all the "bad" stuff, lose weight, then go back and over indulge. There is this mindset in the media and our culture that "we deserve it" that we're rewarding ourselves for our hard work by indulging in treats of some sort.

As for me, I'm trying to change that thinking. Thinking about what my daily intake should normally include and what is a long term realistic goal. I plan for one drink a day as part of my dinner, and any excercise is just a bonus for my body. A good glass of wine or beer can really complement a meal. Choose a quality item, something you know is going to be good and worth the calories. Sometimes I plan for a small dessert as well, sometimes it is the drink or dessert. It is much harder when going out with friends. In that case, I will excercise ahead of time, or after if it unplanned. We have to remember not to beat ourselves up over food, it's just food, we don't need a lot, we can still enjoy the "bad" treats. But plan for them ahead of time without making them into this big deal or thing. If we do overindulge, it is not a good thing, but remember it is one day at a time. Guilt and shame does not create long term positive results. If it did, everybody would be skinny!
    Take care!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I try to allocate calories for my drunken party nights. And we generally dance all freaking night and do other stupid stunts that burn shirtpiles of calories...so...uhhhh, be an active drunk, I guess is what I'm saying? Best advice I've given all day, fo sho!
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I guess I keep thinking that if I'm hard on myself then I might change something. I agree that it might not be that clear cut and may not be a moral issue at all. Perhaps being hard on myself is what got me into this mess in the first place after all... even if it isn't then I doubt I'm going to shatter my existence by cutting myself some slack for a few weeks to see. If I can drop the crutches then I know everything will be ok.

Thank you all for the responses, I will read them all again after my shower and try to organise my thoughts a little better. I would give anything to know where this addictive nature came from.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I guess I keep thinking that if I'm hard on myself then I might change something. I agree that it might not be that clear cut and may not be a moral issue at all. Perhaps being hard on myself is what got me into this mess in the first place after all... even if it isn't then I doubt I'm going to shatter my existence by cutting myself some slack for a few weeks to see. If I can drop the crutches then I know everything will be ok.

Thank you all for the responses, I will read them all again after my shower and try to organise my thoughts a little better. I would give anything to know where this addictive nature came from.

One of the most useful things I ever learned in my life is this:

Some things are within your control, some things are outside your control. To concern yourself with things outside your control is a waste. <-- some Greek philosopher said something like that, one of the Stoics.

It's like the AA saying about having "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

You can't control your biology. You can't control your urges! Think about what is absolutely within your control, do your best to stop fretting about the things that are not, and DO what you CAN.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I loves me some beers...................and have them, maybe more often than I should. One beer? No......that will never do. Sometimes I drink to get the buzz, sometimes it's just a more social thing.

I was just in Vegas for three days - had some fun drinks, but never got drunk. That was okay - but when I got home, I hung out with my bestie and we drank a bunch of brewskis. Was that bad? Maybe, in some people's eyes.......but for us, it was catch up time, beyatch about work time, and just connecting time.

It's all a matter of priority and what's important in your life. If you want to go out and raise a little hell from time to time, there's nothing wrong with that! But if you're doing it too often and it's bothering you and you KNOW it's too much.......then it's time to sit yourself down and figure out what you're doing and why!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Just last night I had a moment of clarity surrounding this type of behavior.

I was at my brother's birthday celebration at a place with "the largest draft beer selection in the blah blah blah"
    Let me just say that I love beer - stouts, porters, pale ales, you name it.
    I especially love craft beer.
    Anyway...back to the story.

So you should know that I've lost 80lbs so far, most of that being really hard on myself - eating really healthy, not allowing myself to have very many "cheat" meals or foods.

This what I found with this method; when I did get a chance to eat or drink something that was "bad" I went nuts. I would eat a whole pizza or have 4,5,6 beers! It had been so long since I was able to have pizza and beer and I knew it was going to be a long time before I was able to have it again that I just wanted more and more and more.

For the last 6 weeks or so I've allowed myself to have "bad" foods if I wanted them. Sometimes I would go nuts, sometimes I wouldn't. Sometimes I would be within my caloric goal and sometimes...I wouldn't.

Last night is when the light really turned on for me.
    After having halibut, a beer and half a cupcake, I realized that I felt good. Yep, just wanted to stop.
    I realized that I was free!
    I got my "bad" food in, but I didn't feel the need to keep going.
    There wasn't an eagerness from not having these foods in a really long time...
    There wasn't a desperation from knowing it would be forrrreverrrr until I could have these foods again...

The "bad" food was there, I had some.
    And that's it.

The point?
    Don't deny yourself anything, because eventually you're going to cave in and when you do, you're going to "binge" and go overboard.
    Then you're going to want to kill yourself at the gym trying to make up for it with excessive exercise.
    It's going to be a vicious cycle of one step forward, two steps back and you'll never ever be happy.

Try it out. If you want a beer tonight, have it. Want another? Have it. Some more tomorrow night? Have it.
    Just make sure at the end of the day, you've made more good choices than bad.