Malfunctioning HRM??

Options
I just bought a HRM like 2 weeks ago. It was working fine, but yesterday it started acting weird. As I was running I had been checking my Heart Rate and it was always like 171, but on my last lap I went to check it again and it said 41 (my hear rate doesn't even get that low when I'm not doing anything haha) and then when I was at the gym it wouldn't read it or stop the timer when I try to make it stop.

SOOO I was just wondering if anybody else has had problems with theirs or did I just get a bad HRM???

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap, and have you been washing it after each use?
  • lindaamarie
    lindaamarie Posts: 114
    Options

no to both of those...I heard the chest strap was annoying haha
    should i wash it?
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have only had my HRM a few weeks and so far so good- but I was wondering what I could expect out of the battery life. Did you try a new battery?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

no to both of those...I heard the chest strap was annoying haha
    should i wash it?

It is important that you wash it in the washing machine every five or sixth time you use it (do NOT use conditioner in the machine when you do have the cheststrap in there) - if you do not wash it, the salt from your body can muck up the strap, giving erroneous and inaccurate readings. It is also vitally important that after EVERY use, you rinse it under the tap, to rinse off sweaty salt.

If you do not have a cheststrap with the HRM, you will not get a very accurate reading either.
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    chest straps are not annoying if positioned properly. They are more accurate. Does sound like a battery issue.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think the one's with the chest strap are more reliable. I bought one within the past couple months (Polar FT4) and haven't had any issues. Also the chest strap isn't really that annoying once you get used to wearing it and I generally forget that it's on while I'm working out.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Um the person who said for you to put it in the washing machine is for a chest strap itself. You said you don't have a chest strap. Do not put your watch in the washing machine. That would be very bad.

I got one with a chest strap because I was told that the touch ones aren't as accurate.
  • lindaamarie
    lindaamarie Posts: 114
    Options
    I think the one's with the chest strap are more reliable. I bought one within the past couple months (Polar FT4) and haven't had any issues. Also the chest strap isn't really that annoying once you get used to wearing it and I generally forget that it's on while I'm working out.

I was thinking about getting that one!! I should have but I was just worried about the strap moving around while I was running and what not
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I was thinking about getting that one!! I should have but I was just worried about the strap moving around while I was running and what not

I also have the FT4 and LOVE it! I don't even feel the strap! It's adjustable so just adjust it correctly and it won't move!
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I have the FT4 also and the first time I used it it didn't bother me but when I did 30DS the other day it was irritating the heck out of me. It also only logged 221 calories for the whole workout so I'm wondering if the type of bra I was wearing and the different moves and stuff jiggled it around some.
    I also have the FT4 and LOVE it! I don't even feel the strap! It's adjustable so just adjust it correctly and it won't move!
  • deedee0152
    deedee0152 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT 7 about 3 weeks ago and love it. It has a very comfy chest strap and seems very accurate. I did some research and most folks think you need a chest strap to get really accurate HR and calorie burn.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and never even notice that I'm wearing a chest strap. If its being worn correctly, it won't move at all and you won't feel it as you work out. And it'll be more accurate than the finger touch ones other non-chest strap HRMs.