Late night owl eater

Options
charelg
charelg Posts: 599 Member
I have lost 7 lbs, 5'5 SW 146, now 139... However, I have reached a standstill with my weight loss, and think I actually gained a lb. back, ugh!!!! I tell myself, maybe it's muscle. I do know that Late night snacking is my DOWNFALL, how do you guys not eat late at night?? I tend to eat like 2 snacks at night. Sometimes crackers and cheese, candy, etc.. I track everything I eat and workout 4-5 times a week, was doing awesome, but I know if I cut that out I would lose the weight much faster. Any tips to not be so hungry late at night??? I'm a night owl. :o One last thing is it good to eat your exercise calories back??
Thanks,
Charel~

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have lost 7 lbs, 5'5 SW 146, now 139... However, I have reached a standstill with my weight loss, and think I actually gained a lb. back, ugh!!!! I tell myself, maybe it's muscle. I do know that Late night snacking is my DOWNFALL, how do you guys not eat late at night?? I tend to eat like 2 snacks at night. Sometimes crackers and cheese, candy, etc.. I track everything I eat and workout 4-5 times a week, was doing awesome, but I know if I cut that out I would lose the weight much faster. Any tips to not be so hungry late at night??? I'm a night owl. :o One last thing is it good to eat your exercise calories back??
    Thanks,
    Charel~

Just budget cals for your late night snacks and snack away, it isn't going to hinder your weight loss if you consumed the exact same cals and macros but stopped eating at some arbitrary time
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat a 100-200 calorie snack within 30 minutes of going to bed. Works for me. As far as the exercise calories, if you are trying to lose weight quicker, you don't have to eat them back, just watch your energy levels and eat when you are hungry. I eat as much of my workout calories back as I can.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Owls are very bad for your diet.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Owls are very bad for your diet.

Taste like chicken though.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd, owl always goes straight to my hips!
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have this difficulty, too! Here are some things I’ve tried…

- Purchasing some low-cal treats for late night, and then deciding I can have 1 per night. I have tried little cups of sorbet, or pieces of biscotti, a square of dark chocolate, or something like that.
    - I try to eat strongly flavored things late at night, so that I crave less of it – hence anise biscotti, or super dark chocolate.
    - Having a “this is the last thing I will eat tonight” routine. So far, hot herbal tea seems to work best for that. Or a glass of wine (if it fits into your calories)...
    - Once you’ve eaten your last late-night thing, brush your teeth.
    - I’ve tried eating dinner a little later, so I’m not so hungry as late.
    - I’ve tried going to bed earlier.
    - I’ve tried planning my late-night relaxing activities to not involve food. For example, I’ll go on a late-night walk and call a friend, or decide on a magazine to read, or answer email, or whatever. I think it’s fine to veg out late at night to relax, but the trick is that relaxing should not always have to involve food.
  • Vanillacoffee54
    Vanillacoffee54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Iam a nightime snacker too. These days I make a HUGE mug of green tea or herb tea and sip that all night and just nibble a few crackers or some carrot sticks or cherry tomatoes. Works for me.
  • charelg
    Options
    [Just budget cals for your late night snacks and snack away, it isn't going to hinder your weight loss if you consumed the exact same cals and macros but stopped eating at some arbitrary time
    [/quote]

Oh ok, b/c a lot of people always say late night eating is the worst!!! Thanks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As long as you fall within your total calories, it doesn't matter if you have a 600 calorie dinner and then go right to bed. You body doesn't know what time it is and it will metabolism the calories the same whether you eat breakfast or right before bed. The bigger thing is making sure you don't' over extend your goal. For example, with the amount of weight you have to lose, you can't aim for 2 lbs a week, in fact below are general guidelines. Also the person who said don't' eat them back as you will lose faster, that generally isn't true. As you approach your goal, your body will fight harder to maintain it's body fat. Generally, what happens is your lose lean body mass to supply energy for your body if you aren't consuming enough calories. So should you eat your exercise calories, yes but if MFP is estimating, then you should eat 50-75% of them.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    [Just budget cals for your late night snacks and snack away, it isn't going to hinder your weight loss if you consumed the exact same cals and macros but stopped eating at some arbitrary time

[/quote]

Too many people listen to moron's like doctor phil or other TV host that spout BS. The NIH has already proved this myth wrong.
  • charelg
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!! I love green tea, but drinking tea at night may make me stay up later then I already do!
  • Rachael235
    Rachael235 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have only just started and for the last 2 nites I have saved 100 cals (2 finger kitkat) 4 b4 bed and then gone to bed early (10PM) It did work and I get more sleep so double bonus!!
  • Adnan5224
    Adnan5224 Posts: 14
    Options

[/quote]

There is not right or wrong time to eat as long as you are hitting your macros and calories.
  • RachelWest86
    Options
    Most of my snacking is because I'm bored and my brain thinks that eating is an okay way to stop that. I've found that increasing my water intake keeps me from feeling as hungry. I still try to hit my calorie goal or come within 50 under, but my late night snacking has stopped if I have a few glasses of water. My stomach is full, so my brain turns off the mindless "must eat to stay occupied" litany.

That's not to say I don't snack at all--my husband is on WeightWatchers, so we have a lot of low-cal snacks around the house that I munch on if I need to.

Good luck!
  • Dtregle
    Dtregle Posts: 12
    Options
    Its the worst because you already ate your cals for the day....then you eat extra cals in the middle of the night