Sky Newsfeed - the word Obesity

Options
This article was on my Sky Newsfeed today:

Doctors Urged: Don't Use The Word 'Obese'

Instead they should encourage people to aim for a "healthier weight", according to new advice from an NHS watchdog.
Health campaigners have dismissed the approach as "absurd".
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) says in draft guidance that "obesity" can be used within the medical profession, but doctors and nurses should be cautious about using it in front of patients.
The document warns: "The term 'obesity' may be unhelpful - while some people like to 'hear it like it is', others may consider it derogatory."
It adds: "It might be better to refer to a 'healthier weight' rather than 'obesity' - and to talk more generally about health and wellbeing."
Ironically, the advice is contained in a document titled 'Obesity: Working with Local Communities'.
But Tam Fry of the National Obesity Forum told Sky News a medical consultation about a weight problem was a time for "plain talking".
"Nice is being too nice. They are not exhibiting the tough love they should be.
"'Obesity' is a medical description. There is a defined point at which being overweight becomes a serious medical issue.
"It you skirt around the bushes you confuse people over how serious it is," he said
A spokesperson for Nice said the guidance had been put out for consultation.
"It is an evolving document," she said

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the subject...

Replies

• mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It is time for plain talk. Oh I know--any time someone says something about the BMI chart and being obese someone else will put up a picture of Arnold in his younger years and say how wrong it is because when you are super buff your BMI is obese.
    BUT for the average person who is overweight and heading for obesity--or obese right now to dance around the issue is silly.
    I know--I just got below "obese" and my Dr has always said that my blood work and other tests are great--I should worry. But I am just average and I am overweight and I was obese.
    This political correctness is going to kill alot of people.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Although I posted the topic, I feel that I cannot comment because I have never in my life been obese.

As a member of MFP I thought it would be interesting to hear what others think. I mean generally I think if your health becomes a real issue thats potentially life threatening then you need to hear plain honest straight talk. Similarly this newsfeed was about the word obese and the use by doctors of the word - I also think people who are underweight need honest talk too.

My view is the word obese for those it affects is the same word in skinny for people like myself who find it hard to put weight on or maintain.

So at both ends of the spectrum I think doctors, friends, relatives etc should be honest - in some circumstances, tactfully and responsibly.

Anyhow, cheers for looking and/or commenting. :-)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand this issue with the words used to describe body weight and fat.

I was obese at my highest weight. That's a plain and simple fact.

I was fat. I still am fat. I'm still above the middle of the overweight range. However, I've seen plenty of people take offence to the word 'fat', and I've never understood why.

To me 'obese' is a more useful medical term for 'fat', relating to a specific scale of measurement. Surely, that's EXACTLY what doctors need to be using?