Who here does Weight Watchers?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
For those of you who do, I have a question. Do you count points for each item in your meal individually, or do you count the total fat, fiber, and calories for the whole meal? I ask because I just made a salad, and when I do ech item individually, I come up with 10 points for that salad. But when I did the total fat, fiber and calories, I cameup with at least 12 points. I know it's not a huge difference, but still...

Replies

• doriedee
    Options
    I usually count the veggies in the salad together and then any add-ons, such as the salad dressing, nuts, protein separately.
  • markei1
    markei1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i believe there is a discrepancy in the point differences because some things are like 1 1/2 point, but it says 1. So, if there are any halves eventually they make wholes. by doing the total calorie, fat, and fiber you may get a better points value. for example, an apple is 1 point but a large apple is 2 points. It may make a difference at the end of a particular day or week. Hope this helps.
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    I have a silly question. Why are you doing WW and are on this website? Just wondering why you are worried about calories, when you can add your points on WW website. :flowerforyou:
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    And, yes, it is a huge difference. The difference between 10 & 12 points is about 200 calories. Typically 1 pt = 100 calories.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    For those of you who do, I have a question. Do you count points for each item in your meal individually, or do you count the total fat, fiber, and calories for the whole meal? I ask because I just made a salad, and when I do ech item individually, I come up with 10 points for that salad. But when I did the total fat, fiber and calories, I cameup with at least 12 points. I know it's not a huge difference, but still...

I've been using my calorie counter on MFP...I havent been counting point...do you have the online service too?...I do have access to their site but I like MFP...
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    I did WW and lost 60 pounds a few years back. Needless to say after 3 children I've gained. I did have their online program, but canceled it....too much money! This is cheaper and I find it better for my lifestyle. :happy:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    I have a silly question. Why are you doing WW and are on this website? Just wondering why you are worried about calories, when you can add your points on WW website. :flowerforyou:

I like being able to go to the meetings and weigh in and meeting up with my friends...do you think it's a waste?
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    I should say this is FREE & I love it!:love:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    I did WW and lost 60 pounds a few years back. Needless to say after 3 children I've gained. I did have their online program, but canceled it....too much money! This is cheaper and I find it better for my lifestyle. :happy:

^5...thanks for the pointer
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    A waste, no....if it helps to keep you more accountable then go for it. I never went to meetings, never had time.
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    Hey, anytime! You can email me if you have more questions. :wink:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    Hey, anytime! You can email me if you have more questions. :wink:

thanks darlin:flowerforyou: ...enjoy the rest of your day...
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    you too~
  • toots99
    Options

Well I don't go to the meetings and pay and do all that. I have been very successful on the WW plan before, but then found this place and was just going by calories. I hit a platueau for a few months and then decided to try to follow that plan again. Basically, I just stayed here to log my food instead of going to the WW site because I like it here. :)
  • arzgirl5
    Options
    Most veggies are zero points, I think the only thing you need to worry about is the dressing. It will be confusing if you try to count calories and also count points. If I were you I would choose one program. I have done WW and it totally works. So I am incorporating what I learned there and am know seeing how counting calories works.
  • toots99
    Options
    I think the discrepancy comes up in the totals because in WW, the points finder stops at 4 or more grams for fiber. The total fiber in the salad I had for lunch, for example, was 13. But there were four different items that went into that total. I think it might be better to do each item individually. Anyone else have any advice or ideas on this?
  • toots99
    Options
    Most veggies are zero points, I think the only thing you need to worry about is the dressing. It will be confusing if you try to count calories and also count points. If I were you I would choose one program. I have done WW and it totally works. So I am incorporating what I learned there and am know seeing how counting calories works.

You can check out the exact salad in my food diary in my profile. I used a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar for dressing, I don't usually use much.

I am not counting calories, per se, just using this site intstead to log instead of writing everything down in the food journal. I'm broke and so I can't really afford for pay to do the same thing at WW.com.