C25K- Surprised, It's too easy for me!!!

Options
So I have been walk/jogging for a few months now (only 1x/week or so), nothing serious but I do jog a few minutes, walk a few minutes, etc.

I decided this week I would get serious about it and do C25K, and even signed up for a 5k in a few months.

However, last night I went jogging and found myself jogging through most of the "walk" intervals. I was surprised, I guess I'm in better shape than I thought. That's good news!

Just wondering are there any structured plans for improving your stamina, times, and distance after completeing C25k?? Just want to challenge myself and I don't think I want to waste the next 12 weeks doing C25K when I think I can push myself to do more!

If there aren't any structured programs I guess I'll just modify it on my own to make it harder?....

Replies

• ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    C25K is more for those people that don't really run/jog at all! What you could start doing is just running/jogging and maybe doing your own little 5K's or something! Try every time to improve your time and just keep running. There's nothing really to improve your stamina like practice makes perfect! Just keep going!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You should probably start a 5k beginners training program like this one. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6028
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the next step after C25K would be more specific training. For example, make Tuesday a speed day (several reps of running at a faster pace for 1-2 minutes, recover, repeat, etc) You could also do hill repeats in lieu of speed work. Make either Saturday or Sunday your long run. Every 4th week shorten your run times to allow for recovery.

The main benefit I see with C25K is that it helps keep you injury free. I think most new runners are injured because of overtraining. Your joints, ligaments, muscles, etc are not used to running and often your fitness improves faster than your muscles/ligaments get strenghtened. Make sure you have a good stretching routine.

Are there any run / track clubs in your area? If so it is likely they have a weekly speed session, weekly long distance session etc.
  • mazzyw65
    mazzyw65 Posts: 47
    Options
    I started this but had to stop one day in cos of tendonitis, well done to all who have stuck at it♥
  • suziek1969
    suziek1969 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try Foottraffic.com, it has great training programs building up to 5k, 10k & beyond. Believe me, when I started I could barely get through the first few days but it builds stamina & burns calories.
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm almost done with C25K and I was kind of thinking I would do it again from the beginning. This time I think I will run faster on the runs (closer to 6 mph than 5 and keep increasing the speed) and jog a little for the walking portions. I thought this might help me to increase my speed.... but I don't know. Haven't tried it yet.

Edit: Also you just started it? I thought the first 2 weeks were easy and the further I got the more difficult it became. I wouldn't totally dismiss it unless you can already jog or slowly run a 5k without stopping... Then there might not be much benefit for you. Also I am up to W6D2 and did my 1st 5k last Saturday (had to slow down and walk about 5 mins of it).
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    How long can you run for? Just fast-forward to that week of C25K and start at the next. If you can comfortable run for 35 minutes, maybe try the 10k bridge program.
  • helenprimorac
    Options
    I tried C25K today and couldn't be bothered wtih running and walking in the small intervals. I found that I can walk for 5 to warm up and run for 20 minutes and walk for another 5 to cool off. Why not just try increasing the amount of time you can jog for or split it up in two increments of 20 to 30 minutes each and then walk for 5 minutes.

I guess what I'm saying is work at your own pace and just up the jogging time.