Shorts and thighs, oh my!

Options
hdsqrl
hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
Okay, I'm even laughing as I type this, but it's a very real worry I have, so I figured I'd put it out there and see if legitimate answers come back.

I'm 40 years old, 5'5", and circling around the 175 lb mark. I'm hourglass-shaped, so have a small waist, but large chest/hips/thighs. In addition, I'm just starting back on the road to fitness, so the ol'thighs are a disasterous sight to behold. I bought some shorts today to wear to the gym, but am second-guessing myself on if I really want these thighs to be seen. The shorts hit me maybe halfway up the thigh...maybe a little higher, but they're not booty shorts by any definition. Running shorts, maybe.

I know people at the gym really don't care THAT much about what others wear (assuming they're COVERED, of course), but my question is this: If you see an unfit person at the gym and big ol' wobbly thighs are visible, is that really terrible? I mean, yes, that person is AT THE GYM, trying to DO something about those thighs (and the rest of the body), but should the unpretty areas stay covered until they're pretty again?

Gah. I suppose I could go find some underarmor things to wear under the shorts if I need to. Thoughts?

Replies

• M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    Hey!
    If your wearing "regular" shorts dont worry about your thighs....most women (including me) are obsessed w/getting them tight! I wear my spandex capri's and let it jiggle. So What! I'm about being comforatable when sweating...
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My thighs will eat any type of women's shorts if I'm not taking slow steps. Out of my own personal preference I wear men's shorts on days when I'll be running or jogging because, well, I don't want everyone to see my cameltoe while I'm running down the street.
  • SarieCherries
    SarieCherries Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable in them then WEAR THEM! If the thought is enough to make you avoid the gym than cover up a bit. You are there for YOU to get your sweat on and gain fitness. Don't worry about what other people are doing or wearing. Just do it for you. :)

When I see a bigger girl or guy at the gym my first thought is "yeah, get it!" and I'm proud of 'em. I don't start caring about what others are wearing until I'm using them to pre-shop for my own gear. :)
  • hdsqrl
    Options
    OMG, I LOL'ed for real at the cameltoe comment. ;D

Yeah, on the treadmill, shorts riding up is ALWAYS an issue for me, too. I've tried men's shorts, but the ones I've found are way too long to be comfortable. Guess I'll give these new ones a whirl and hope for the best!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    As long as they are not booty short, go for it! Use the jiggling a motivation to work harder!
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    My thighs will eat any type of women's shorts if I'm not taking slow steps. Out of my own personal preference I wear men's shorts on days when I'll be running or jogging because, well, I don't want everyone to see my cameltoe while I'm running down the street.

Lol!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    If they are comfortable and appropriate for the gym, wear them. Don't worry about what anyone else may be thinking. Honestly, they probably aren't thinking anything anyway, too busy concentrating on their workout.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    go for it. i'm really tempted to get some shorts and wear them. i mainly want to do it so i can see my muscles in action on days i lift.

yeah i'm kinda turning into one of those people in the weight room who flexes their non existent muscles in the mirror
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    too bad you dont live near me i could wear my half shirt and head band hang around your exercise area lol trust me not one person would notice your thighs lolll
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    An observation from last weekend's race: EVERYONE'S thighs, no matter how thin, no matter if they're male or female, jiggle when they run.

(And I wasn't staring to judge... I was relieved because I'm self-conscious about my own wobbley bits.)

As long as you're comfortable in the shorts and they don't ride up in any uncomfortable way (note to self: toss that wedgie-creating monstrosity you wore yesterday) wear them and be proud you're doing good things for yourself.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else at the gym thinks. Wear whatever you're comfortable in that will allow you to do your workout effectively.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I tried wearing shorts that sound just like you described. Jogging was a nightmare. They kept riding up between my inner thighs. I finally just stopped and walked. I will keep my shorts for rollerblading and lounging. Not for the gym. I didn't care one bit about the dimples that show - I'm all about comfort.
  • hdsqrl
    Options
    too bad you dont live near me i could wear my half shirt and head band hang around your exercise area lol trust me not one person would notice your thighs lolll

Hahaha - you win half the internet today for that post. :laugh:
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else at the gym thinks. Wear whatever you're comfortable in that will allow you to do your workout effectively.

i love this ^^^^

but i worry very much! and i wear booty workout shorts at home but not outside lol
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter as long as you aren't indecent. :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    go for it. i'm really tempted to get some shorts and wear them. i mainly want to do it so i can see my muscles in action on days i lift.

yeah i'm kinda turning into one of those people in the weight room who flexes their non existent muscles in the mirror

LOL! Get the shorts!
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    Forget everyone else, if you are comfortable wear them.
    Heck I would go to run outside in a tutu if it were comfortable
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Wear them (and stop worrying what others think of your thighs!) Concentrate on your workout and how bad@$$ you are getting fit!

:flowerforyou:
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would rather see you in your shorts working hard than the idiot girl with the bow bopping along on her pony tail, full friday night make-up, sports bra, tiny tiny shorts and no sweat taking up space! :laugh:
  • hdsqrl
    Options
    Ooh, AMEN to that!!!