Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Point of exercise?

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Of course you should be! We were blessed with these AMAZING bodies, and I want to TRY ( weekends dont count :) ) to give mine the respect it deserves.

It is amazing what your body can do, when your mind is on board as well :)
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Interesting responses... The daily calorie goals already include a defect of calories. When you work out but don't eat back the calories you are creating a larger deficit AND not re-fueling your body. Creating large deficits in calories is not the whole story when it comes to losing fat. (Not just water weight)

There are several "points" to exercising of course, but one big one is to get your metabolism moving in the right direction. Consequently you cant keep it moving if you don't feed it enough either. I've discovered there is a lot of science behind this... that's been generalized to "diet and exercise."

There is a group in MFP called "Eat more, weigh less" there are topics posted that explain very well why the body tends to lose more weight when you replenish the energy (food) versus keeping it "hungry."
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    exercising burns fat, typically
    it builds muscle, which also burns fat faster
    it strengthens your heart
    it helps with your energy level

I exercise to feel good, eat more

moving and being active is really good for you.

if you simply eat a calorie deficit with no exercise, you will lose muscle along with fat
    basically not burning as much actual fat.

you will reach your weight goal but lose a lot of strength, toning, and generally feel low energy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what they said :happy:
  • I take all your comments on board, thank you for taking the time to reply. However, they all indicate that people exercise for a variety of reasons BUT one doesn't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. Am I right in thinking this? If I have a lazy day with no exercise and am still within my calorie allowance then the lack of exercise shouldn't affect my weight loss that day?

That is correct. If you eat less than your Basal Metabolic Rate is (you can find your BMR under "Tools" above) then yes, you will lose weight. Your body will first use the calories from the food you intake and then use fat stores to make up the difference. So if you BMR is 1,800 calories and you eat 1,500 calories the extra 300 calories will come from your fat stores. At that rate it would take you ~11.66 days to burn 1 pound of fat.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Besides the health benefits...

I exercise so I can eat more.
    I exercise so I can eat cake.
    I exercise so I can drink beer.
    I exercise so I can eat ice cream.

Seriously. Life without ice cream is a waste.
    ^^this and so I don't look flabolisious
  • kjm827
    kjm827 Posts: 12
    I agree with the medals around the neck.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    I can't believe that someone would stop running if they love it just because they aren't losing weight. Isn't the whole point of losing weight is to be healthier and to look better? What does it matter what the number on the scale says anyways if you are not doing things you love that are good for you. Rediculous.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    For me it's not just to eat more, although I do like that aspect :wink:

I exercise to help keep existing muscle mass ..... I'm over 50 and can't afford to lose any muscle. Exercise also helps me sleep better too.

Another over 50 y.o. here. I like the idea of being a capable person.

There are things that I would NOT do frequently, but could always do them when I wanted to. At this stage of the game every now and then I stumble across an activity I fully expect to be capable of, but no longer am.

Suddenly I realize that what I've been telling my Mom for the past few years now applies to me to... if you are not going forward, you are going backward.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    I try to match my calories burnt from exercise (cardio) with my calories from carbohydrates, the reason being carbohydrates are the most readily converted fuel source for energy

For instance, I burn 400-500kcal from walking 40 mins, I eat 100-125g carbohydrates that day. Energy Balance
  • I can't believe that someone would stop running if they love it just because they aren't losing weight. Isn't the whole point of losing weight is to be healthier and to look better? What does it matter what the number on the scale says anyways if you are not doing things you love that are good for you. Rediculous.

Very true. My brother who is a Personal Trainer makes this point a lot. Even if the scale isn't changing you are most liking turning body fat to muscle.
  • ell_jay
    ell_jay Posts: 68
    When trying to lose weight, diet is the better option. "It's quicker and easier to cut calories by not eating something than exercising to burn it off."

Start your day with 2 eggs; bigger loss in waist!

But exercise does cut stress, boost energy and prevent diabetes (:

(Women's Health)
  • jensterx3
    jensterx3 Posts: 21
    Besides the health benefits...

I exercise so I can eat more.
    I exercise so I can eat cake.
    I exercise so I can drink beer.
    I exercise so I can eat ice cream.

Seriously. Life without ice cream is a waste.

^^^^yes
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    I foolishy did not read all the posts, But I think I heard somewhere that moving your body is good for you or something? :-) seriously. Do you want to be skinny or healthy?
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Because after watching my grandmother's body atrophy and fail around her alert mind because she refused to be active her whole life, I believe that the adage "use it or lose it" to be gravely true.

For me, weght loss happens in the kitchen and fitness happens in the gym. They are different goals, really.
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    I have been on maintenance calories for about 2 months now, eating 2,280 a day. I go to the gym 5 days a week with burns being anywhere from 700-900. I tend to eat back about half the calories I burn, putting my intake at the most 3,000 calories, but my net is still at that 2,200 mark usually. Hitting the gym is great, it boosts my spirits, puts me in a good mood and even lets me eat more! I've been eating very enjoyable things lately (bagels, pizzas, etc). If I can eat stuff I like, work it off in the gym, and be able to even eat more food AND feel great after a workout, life is good.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    I exercise because I love how I feel afterwards and how my body is shaping up. Dieting alone won't yield a great body.........and of course I like to eat!!! A lot! :laugh:
  • I can't believe that someone would stop running if they love it just because they aren't losing weight. Isn't the whole point of losing weight is to be healthier and to look better? What does it matter what the number on the scale says anyways if you are not doing things you love that are good for you. Rediculous.

Very true. My brother who is a Personal Trainer makes this point a lot. Even if the scale isn't changing you are most liking turning body fat to muscle.

No. My body fat readings were getting higher, and my waist measurement increasing. This is a phenomenon I had noticed in my past, when I had been doing even more distance.

It became evident that running was not good for me at that time, because my increasing waist measurement was of concern to me as an indicator of visceral fat. BMI I don't really care about too much as long as it doesn't get too high.

It seems that performance goals and weight loss goals may be incompatible for some of us.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    On paper, eating 1000 cals is the same as eating 1500 and burning off 500 BUT........

You have more chance of getting all the nutrition your body needs from a higher amount of food. Getting all your protein, vitamins etc on a small calorie goal is pretty hard to do.

Exercise also builds / maintains muscle so you lose more inches, and muscle burns more cals than fat. Losing with no exercise means you will also lose muscle and end up thin but flabby, and totally unfit.

You get to eat CAKE!!!!

Finally, mfp already includes a 500 cal per lb deficit so by not eating your cals back you are increasing this to a potentially unhealthy level which can affect your loss. If you don't want to eat back exercise, eat at maintenance and use exercise to create your deficit.

So......... Eating more then exercising is all round better than just eating *kitten* all :-)
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    look up "skinny fat"
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    WHY SHOULD YOU EXERCISE!?!?!?!?!??!

For all the amazing health benefits that come with exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    manage your weight
    manage your blood pressure
    have a strong healthy heart, lungs, bones, muscles ect............
    for longevity
    for my kids and family
    so hopefully i'm not in a scooter by the time I'm 65 (seriously I know someone who never exercised, is obese, eats crap and can't even freaking walk anymore her body is so broken down and decrepit.)
    to maintain my youth
    to be a beast
    for self confidence
    to be the cool Mom...not the old flabby in 'mom jeans'
    to be able to eat 'fun' foods and not just live on salad and ice tea
    to be strong!!!!!!
    it manages stress
    healthy body healthy mind
    because i still can!!!!!
    to feel good in my clothes
    to be able to shop for fun clothes
    to be able to eat chocolate...a lot of it

EXERCISE IS NOT JUST FOR ESTHETICS .......IT'S FOR YOUR MIND BODY AND SOUL. IT'S A LIFESTYLE. CHOOSE TO BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!