Best fitness gadget and why...

Options
sjwhite7
sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
Lately I have really been wanting a fitness device to help me track my daily calories burnt, activity level, and ect. I have been looking up different devices online with many neat things to choose from. Some of my top choices seem to be the Fitbit, Striiv, Timex Health Tracker, the Fuel Band, and my top but cant afford it is the Motoactv... I would like to get my fitness pals thoughts on products they have tried to see what has the best most accurate features and helps motivate them the most.

Replies

• jwilson2001
    jwilson2001 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. I really like it! I have heard different issues with the others such as the Fitbit doesn't work if you are in a spinning class...not that i am in one but maybe down the road! LOL! Good luck in whatever one you decide :)
  • sjwhite7
    Options
    From what I understand you are right about the fitbit but I have heard that the new ones have updated to where you can enter what activities you have done like spinning or weightlifting and get the calories burned during those sessions. If someone has used this could you please tell me how accurate it is.
  • debbielyman
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing more about the Fitbit too...
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have a Striiv (my daughter and husband each have one as well). Not a lot of people have them yet, but OMG does it work for motivating me.

The basics: tracks steps and stairs, adjusts calorie burn based on cadence (it knows when you're running). Reports steps, stairs, minutes in activity, distance and calories. Tracks all time totals.

Now the coolness factor that made me choose it - the motivation. The Striiv has multiple ways to motivate you:

*Donations - if you sync your Striiv, you can earn donations just by walking to buy clean water for a child, buy vaccines or save a patch of rainforest. It's like your own daily mini-walkathon (and there's no cost to you, no membership or anything like that).

*Instant feedback and challenges - the Striiv constantly puts challenges on the screen to beat your personal best in some category, to beat yesterday's totals, or to walk xxx more steps or stairs in the next yyy minutes. Example: right now I have one minute to walk to hit 5 hours this week and a 10 minute challenge just popped up to do 3 more minutes of activity in the next 10 minutes. You get bonuses for these things so if you enjoy the feedback of accomplishments that's very motivating (I would have said I didn't - turns out I do).

*There's a nifty little "Myland" game built in. I was drawn to this for my teenage daughter, but again I love it. You use points earned through walking to build or plant on an island, unlock more islands, win or attract animals. Just a fun little thing for odd moments, but I've become addicted.

So to me the big, big standout is the different ways the Striiv acts to motivate you to keep moving!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Bottle opener.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    i LOVE my FitBit. I clip it to my bra in the morning & forget about it.
    I find it very easy to use & love that there is no membership fee to use the website, like with the BodyBugg - which I had & returned.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've only had my FitBit since Friday but already I'm doing extra trips up and down stairs to reach my goals and have taken 2 walks I wouldn't have otherwise bothered with. True, it's not going to cover all bases, I swim regularly and enter that manually onto my FitBit account (which gives lower calorie reads that here incidentally so I carry those lower figures across) but so far I really like it and it's keeping me moving and mindful of lazy times.

I think if you do lots of cardio you would be better off with a Heart Rate Monitor though to make sure you are working within safe zones.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and <3 it!!! It motivates me to keep moving!! I am maintaining my weight and it wasnt until I got this that I realized my maintance is 1800-1900 not 1600 like mfp suggests. I also use my HRM to clock things that my fitbit wouldnt pic up like strenght training etc. =)
  • frilly7483
    frilly7483 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 when working out, and I wear the Fitbit for daily movement.

If you want to track workouts I would reccomend an HRM, it's amazing. I hate when I forget to takenit with me! I also think it's the most accurate. They aren't that expensive and really boost your workout/confidence, great purchase.

The Fitbit is good to track daily movement and to persuade yourself to move a bit more, however, it really isn't as accurate. I have been known to walk 25 steps whilst driving to work - how?! I use mine to keep myself moving, if I look and the numbers are low (which they normally are) I get myself out the office for a wonder.

I would reccomend an HRM, but it's not designed to be worn all day.
  • shendras
    shendras Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, however my only exercise at this point is walking. It's so small; I like that I can put it on in the morning and forget about it. I also love that I don't need to hook it up to sync it - I just need to walk near the base. I could take or leave the sleep tracker - it always says I have fallen asleep when I haven't - I guess I lay still too long? Anyway, I've had my Fitbit about 3 months right now and just love the little guy :happy:
  • sjwhite7
    Options
    Has anyone used the Timex Health Tracker? From what it says it will:

Walk Sensor will measure steps and distance walked
    Daily activity tracker with 7 days memory
    Diet Diary to keep track units or calories of the day
    Activity mode will display steps, distance and calories burned
    Workout mode will display time, distance and pace effort slow/mod/fast
    Diet and Walk goals can be set and we will advise remaining to reach goal

Is there a HRM that will count steps and activity accurately for a decent price?
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ya I have noticed that fitbit might calculate while driving but I still think it all comes out in the wash. I am sure we are doing some movements during the day that might not get picked up so in the end it all comes out in the wash. I do love that it keeps me moving...... =)
  • macgeekgrl
    macgeekgrl Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been using my Striiv for 2 days now, and I'm absolutely loving it. I've walked more in the past 2 days than I have in almost any day in recent memory. I love having not only the raw data feedback (both on the device, and on my Dashboard online) but the equivalents. Knowing I walked 1.7 miles is one thing, but knowing that it's the equivalent of The Golden Gate Bridge gives me some serious real-world perspective. I love getting the different challenges throughout the day - they're pushing me to walk more, to take the stairs instead of the elevator. And I love getting energy for new items on MyLand. But the coolest thing for me, I think, is knowing that my steps will be converted into charitable donations. I've already walked enough to donate 2 days worth of water for one child. I'm not just walking for my own health, I'm walking for others. It might sound cheesy, but that means a lot to me.

I've noticed that it's really accurate at tracking my steps, and it doesn't calculate movement from the car or subway, unlike the pedometer I was using. Plus it's tiny - clip it on my belt or drop it in my pocket, and forget about it until I go to check my progress or sync it. Seriously, this is the best gadget, and I really think it's going to help me out big time.