Do calories matter?

Options
Ive been thinking about this for a while.
Say if someone ate lets say 1700 cals a day and was losing weight/fat, but they only ate clean and healthy foods, would it be the same if they were eating 1700 cals a day of junk food?

Is a calorie just a calorie? No matter where it comes from...?

Btw i eat very clean and im not planning on eating all my cals in junk lol im just curious as to what the outcome would be :)

Replies

• heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am not sure scientifically, but I know my body always responds better with "clean" food vs. junk food. I think it is due to more fiber and other good nutrients.
  • IamJacksColdSweat
    IamJacksColdSweat Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A deficit is a deficit. You could lose on 1700 calories of junk, but you would probably feel pretty crappy due to not getting the nutrients your body needs.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • courtcourtfnp
    courtcourtfnp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A deficit is a deficit. You could lose on 1700 calories of junk, but you would probably feel pretty crappy due to not getting the nutrients your body needs.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend it.
    [/quote

^^this
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories (macronutrients) matter but so do micronutrients
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Google the twinkie diet if you want an eye opener. A clean diet aids in health, a deficit loses weight. Which also aids in health but they are exclusive of eachother. Optimum is to eat a clean deficit but it is not required to lose weight.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Google the twinkie diet if you want an eye opener. A clean diet aids in health, a deficit loses weight. Which also aids in health but they are exclusive of eachother. Optimum is to eat a clean deficit but it is not required to lose weight.

This, a calorie is a unit of energy . What comes packaged with the energy (nutrients) is what determines the relative healthiness of the food.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Calories --->Weight
    Macronutrients ----> body composition
    Micronutrients ----> Health

And it should be noted that even with a crappy diet, going from obese to not obese (losing weight) is very likely to increase health markers.