FB 'friend' & losing weight..ugh!

Options
Okay, I have a FB friend that I've known since early childhood. She and I sorta "bonded" over the years because we both have children with a special medical condition. So, we've shared info, etc. She would post just about every 10 mins on FB. Well, a few months ago I noticed her updates weren't showing up in my newsfeed. I sent her a friendly PM asking if everything was okay. She responded that she was fine now but had undergone gastric bypass surgery (she wasn't what I would consider so big she would need GBS.) She ended up having severe complications and had multiple hospitalizations since the surgery. Well, it has been a little while and she is okay now. Posting about how good she feels, looks, etc. however, she has NEGLECTED to mention that she had surgery. She posted about going down another size today. All these comments congratulating her makes me sick. She just started a workout program last week as per her FB updates. Good for her and hope she keeps it up but don't brag about it like that is the ONLY thing you've done to lose so much weight so fast. You JUST started last week. I'd never "out" her on FB or even in public because it really is her business about who knows and doesn't but it just erks me to no end! I know you vomit every meal because you can't keep food down (per her message to me) and act like life is perfect. Okay...vent over...

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Well I am sure that she isn't going to want to post about all the personal information that she told you. That sounds like it would be embarrassing to her. Sounds like she is happy about her success and wants to share it and get support. Just because she had GBS doesn't mean she shouldn't feel proud and share right?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is an issue with society in general. And honestly, I will vent about your post...not in a matter to attack you...

Why are your self-prejudices being announced about a choice in life that another makes? You have no direct impact on the overall being of this person. We are free to choose which ever path we want in life. Your friend made a choice to, in my opinion, blow a bunch money on something that was most likely not needed in order to get a fast result, which ultimately be useless if she continues unhealthy eating. And yes, there are still fat unhealthy people out there that get GP or the LapBand. There is one in my office, as proof.

Move past your despise and tell her she looks good, if she does.And then drop it, as it matter nothing to you directly. Subconsciously, you are on a "greater" path to wellness. Changing your life to a healthier you. Reap and enjoy the rewards of that journey. That is all that matters here.

Be greater than the mass of society by going above and pushing out self-prejudices once and for all.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you are upset that she's lost this weight through GBS. She is trying to better her health and obviously the Dr. she consulted with felt that she was a candidate for this surgery. Who cares that she's losing it from having surgery. It sounds like you might be jealous of all the attention she's getting when she's posting updates.

I've had three friends who have had GBS and I am thrilled to death for them and their weight loss. It was something that could have potentially saved their lives. Since they are friends of mine, I am glad that they are doing this for themselves.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    I "LIKED" her status. I'm not at all jealous. I know that in 10 years I'll be much healthier. I just hate that she is making it out to be that she is now the picture of Miss Fitness and Health. We're all different and I'd never post about how much better I am than you for my choices in dinner. That's all. Thought this would be a better forum for voicing my opinions on diet and exercise.

As for the GBS, I have 2 family members that probably need it desperately. I'm not against it. I don't like it when people do it and then pretend that they are the experts on fitness.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I guess I am just trying to understand. From your original post is sounds like she is sharing her success that she is proud of. What is she saying that is making her pretend to be Miss Fitness and Health?

I had a family member that tried every diet out there and just couldn't stick to anything. She didn't have the will power or motivation. Her health was becoming worse and worse so she got GBS. Now she is 150 pounds down, no diabetes, not limited and very happy. Healthier habits came later. I would never put down her surgery or happiness :flowerforyou: so maybe give her some time before thinking that way? :]
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I guess I am just trying to understand. From your original post is sounds like she is sharing her success that she is proud of. What is she saying that is making her pretend to be Miss Fitness and Health?

I think you and I are missing the same things. I didn't see anything in the OP that suggested that the friend thought she was Miss Fitness and Health. Maybe that's where I am misunderstanding the OP's point.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    This is an issue with society in general. And honestly, I will vent about your post...not in a matter to attack you...

Why are your self-prejudices being announced about a choice in life that another makes? You have no direct impact on the overall being of this person. We are free to choose which ever path we want in life. Your friend made a choice to, in my opinion, blow a bunch money on something that was most likely not needed in order to get a fast result, which ultimately be useless if she continues unhealthy eating. And yes, there are still fat unhealthy people out there that get GP or the LapBand. There is one in my office, as proof.

Move past your despise and tell her she looks good, if she does.And then drop it, as it matter nothing to you directly. Subconsciously, you are on a "greater" path to wellness. Changing your life to a healthier you. Reap and enjoy the rewards of that journey. That is all that matters here.

Be greater than the mass of society by going above and pushing out self-prejudices once and for all.

Now son your in america. Its god says not i think. Thinking is very bad for the people in charge
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options

I think you and I are missing the same things. I didn't see anything in the OP that suggested that the friend thought she was Miss Fitness and Health. Maybe that's where I am misunderstanding the OP's point.

I'm sorry. I guess I didn't make that clear. She is burning up the newsfeed with all her new found advice for people. She literally just walked in to a gym for the first time EVER last week. Sure, she is making healthy choices now, but for over 2 months she couldn't eat and that is how she lost so much weight. I just hate how fake people can be....I don't think she has to tell everyone that she had surgery. I probably wouldn't tell myself, but I wouldn't go out on a public forum and pretend I did it all with no help. I'm not irritated that she had the surgery, I'm irritated that she is pretending that it didn't happen and she is now the fitness and health guru of FB. IDK....