Boredom Eating - How do you ignore the cravings?

Options
I do most of my eating when I'm not doing anything.
I don't really leave the house much so I don't have a lot to keep me busy.
I try spending time helping my mum clean/tidy the house.
I've invested in some Zumba DVD's to help keep me busy (with the added bonus of toning my body) ;)

Just wondered what you guys/dolls did to pass them less busy times ;)

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Interested to see what others have to say also. I get them in the evenings settling down for the day I will do great all day but the evenings seem to be the hardest. like after 7pm till I go to bed around 10pm.
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Art. I don't leave much either and I find if I distract myself with video games or social networking, it's equivalent to boredom where I just want to eat. But if I work on my painting or writing or anything else involving using my brain in a creative way (and my hands not being free!) I can get through it okay.

ETA: Like in the evening, I like to wind down by watching television. I paint my miniatures while I watch TV so even if I had food, my hands are tied up. Or I'll give myself a manicure/pedicure, something to focus on without free hands.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Obreezes
    Obreezes Posts: 35
    Options
    My problem is in the evening as well. Everyone goes to bed and there I sit in front of the TV, bored, so I graze. Trying reallly hard to break that habit! Anyway....try anything that works for you to relieve boredom....crocheting, video games, anything to keep your hands busy. But stay away from the TV! That will get you eating and eating and eating! (I should practice what I preach!)
  • lomajess
    lomajess Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do it at work; I have my own office in a building by myself with a full kitchen o.O & cooks just across the way who are happy to feed me ...
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I tend to boredom eat during the day at work. It is rough some days because I am at a computer all day, and I am not always busy enough to distract myself from wanting to snack. Usually I use other things to keep me occupied at least for a while, like some gum, or hard mints (never been able to eat more than one or two a day, and they last you a while if you don't bite them). I also drink more water when I want to snack.

For at home, I would engage in some activity that makes it difficult to eat at the same time. Go for a walk or run, play with a pet if you have one, play a video game that takes both hands and constant attention,...
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    At this point in life I envy the idea of having time to get bored to eat...but I think this is comparable to my problem of eating as a distractor/instrument of procrastination (as I am now using MFP for:)

When I really can't resist- I eat healthy popcorn to mitigate the damages but otherwise...

To avoid eating- chew gum, make a pot of tea, brush your teeth

To keep busy- go for a walk, do 20 jumping jacks, get out of the kitchen area of your home, read a book, go to the book store/library to get out of the house and there is not fridge there (I have checked them all), I think it helps to have hobbies like something you really like to learn about, read about, an art interest, an instrument, learn sign language as it uses your hands- or any language for that matter...I guess I can think of tons to do to keep busy

Next time you are about to eat outside of planned meals- think "Am I actually and really hungry?" If the answer is no perhaps focusing on the success of passing up that chance and doing something else- that helps me. I know when I eat when I don't need to I feel guilty after so remembering that feeling before I chow down is a pretty good deterrent.

Good luck- I hope you get some great feedback!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Munch on carrot sticks, they are healthy and I get to eat, however since they aren't my favorite snack food lol I don't eat alot of them...oh and I keep junk food out of the house.
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Green tea/water helps me in a way. I'm doing something very similar to eating (kinda) :p And I don't generally feel the need to go get food after :)
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I drink Water and green tea to suppress hunger..and I take a mental note of what and when was the last time I ate...and I plan my meals spacing them out 1.5 hours to 3 hours apart...and I stick to it like my life depends on it.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Green tea/water helps me in a way. I'm doing something very similar to eating (kinda) :p And I don't generally feel the need to go get food after :)

I hate when I post something someone already said...well at least we validate each other
  • SerahLaffere
    Options
    Haha! Great minds think alike :)
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Try doing something that engages either your mind or your hands, or both! If you are watching TV, is it a show you really want to see, or just something to while away the time? What INTERESTS you? Do that instead! Try making an evening schedule, so you won;t have a lot of empty hours looking at you. Or you could simply not bring extra food home from the store! If everything in your cupboard and fridge is palnned for a meal or an allowed snack, you would have to go out to buy something else to eat, instead of just grazing. It is easier to fight the battlee ONCE at the grocery store than every day at home!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of strawberries with me at all times! Sounds crazy but it works! Every time I'm bored and feel like eating, I start with my strawberry pieces and it takes the edge off. At home, I always have sauted zucchini mixed with different seasonings and herbs in the fridge. I just keep warming bits of it and munch on them. Both foods are under 50 cals per cup and takes care of my sweet and salty craving...
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    This will be boring.....I drink water and go for a walk.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    I play video games...or get on my motorcycle to pass time...if I am bored with either of those...I get a light snack and watch a movie.
  • kristenetc
    kristenetc Posts: 11
    Options
    when i feel like eating but i know my body doesn't actually need to be fed, i usually drink a glass or two of water, and find something time-consuming to do like painting my nails... by the time i've had some water and my nails are dry, the craving's usually passed :)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Paint my nails, can't eat with wet nails.
  • SerahLaffere
    Options
    My Xbox360 is my best friend.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Water and fiber pills work for me. I also find that beef jerky, gum or carrots help too. Good luck! :)