HELP! Opinions/advice please?

Options
Ok sorry this is not a weight loss problem more of a life problem! I just reall need some advice!

Gosh super unhappy with my current career, need to think about putting my retraining package in. Currently I am active duty AF with a job of weather technician. However I have been doing this job for 4 years now and its super scary to think about starting over! Has anyone else been through or going through the same thing. Should I just stick with it?

Replies

• MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lindystrutt
    lindystrutt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Starting a new career is scary, however it is all in the mind once there you will have no problem. Before you take this step be sure it is what you really want, and be positive you will not regret it; otherwise best to forget the idea while the employment markets are so tough.
    Hope this helps........
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Yes and No. I'm prior Air Force {Supply, got out last year}, I was given the option to cross train into Operations Management. 5 weeks of Tech at Sheppard ... I thought about it but then just stuck with my current job {Supply}.

I would say just think about what you really want... Are you ready to go back to Tech School? Are you ready to do another set of CDC's? That was one of the drawbacks for me, the CDC's. I did not like those things one bit and once I got them out of the way w/Supply and got my 5-level it was a big sigh of relief.

What about college? Have you thought about school and using your TA? Getting a degree in something for the 'outside' world, all the while gaining more experience w/your current AFSC {for possibly, the outside world} If you don't have your degree yet I would try and knock that out so you can get your CCAF!
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    Options
    I haven't completed my degree yet, right now I'm at a cross roads with that. Not so sure what I want. Originally (before the AF) I was going to school for Physical therapy then I joined and got weather which is completely different. So do I go to school for something I hate doing or try and go to school for something else. Not to mention with my job I only can take online classes which limits my options. Currently I am doing my 7-level CDCs ( and yes I hate them) but How can I continue to sit her with this job I hate, you know. It totally demotivates me. I do well, thats not the problem. But I really am unhappy with it! I'm coming up on my retraining window and I am seriously considering changing careers!
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Well I think you answered your own question :smile:

Just in that reply you sound genuinely unhappy with your current job and I say since the window is coming up soon, mine as well try it out. Do you already know or have researched what job you would want to go into?
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll put it this way. I am a former engineer who got really unhappy in his work and now I drive a truck for a living. Yeah, I made a career change and couldn't be happier.

Do what will make you happy. You have to take chances to succeed in life.
  • Diane41912
    Diane41912 Posts: 10
    Options
    I would also say go with what makes you happy. But most of all talk to Jesus about it and let him lead you. He is never wrong. Just saying. Good Luck
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    Options
    I've been looking, using the critically manned list as a reference, bc its hard to get out of my field. I htink I'm going to go in to talk to a career advisory! Thanks everyone for the help!