How to start losing weight and keeping up with it??

Options
I'm 320lbs How do I start to lose weight???

Replies

• Diane41912
    Diane41912 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just started so this is all new to me also. I put in my info (food and workout) for the day and it tells you where you are and what you can do from that point. Its really pretty easy. But like I said this is my first day at it also. Add me as a friend if you want to.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    Eat less, move more. It's not as difficult and complicated as everyone makes it seem. There is no magic formula. Just count your calories and exercise at least a little every day.
  • aspenwind
    aspenwind Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. It's simple.

I'd add drink lots of water.

Those 3 are the key. If you look at any fad diet/exercise/"treatment" they all really base themselves on those 3 simple rules even if they don't admit it.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    No sodas, chips, junk food, fast food.

Drink lots of water.

Eat lots of fruit, veggies.
    Multi grain flat bread, multi grain cereal.

No rice, noodles, white potatoes.

Eat sweet potatoes or yams.

Buy lean meats like ground turkey & lean beef.

Only vegetarian pizza, no sausage, pepperoni etc

Put a tsp of hemp on your cereal or yogurt, keeps you full up to 4 hours.

Try zumba, do what you can & try to increase your stamina. Good luck! ☺
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    I don't mean to sound pretentious, I just mean that all the weight loss fads, like Atikins, Weight Watchers, etc. - they are all just complicated ways of making you eat less calories. Eat whatever you want. Just eat less of it. MFP should give you a calorie goal. So try to stick to it as much as possible and you will lose weight.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Signing up here is a fantastic start. Follow the plan here, log everything you eat and drink in your diary, stick to the calorie limits of your diary, and do as much physical activity as you can, even if it's just walking at first.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    just signing up here is a great start! I have a crapload of weight to lose so I was pretty overwhelmed at first and didn't know where to start. I decided what and how I wanted to eat (my body doesn't process carbs well so I knew it would be limited carb diet) and started tracking. Because I have about half my body weight to lose, I also read (and just finished) 2 books: "Half-Assed" by Jennette Fulda and "The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl" by Shauna Reid. It helpded me personally to read stories of 2 ladies who lost large amounts of weight
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Well done for joining here. Just enter in what you eat, then make little changes of healthier substitutes along the way, for example, sausages, then get low fat ones, work through the range of low fat ones until you find the ones that are the tastiest for you! that sort of thing. Experiment with foods, try using QUORN mince in your cottage pie sometime or spag bol, don't always think low calorie meals that are advertized are the lowest on the shelf, sometimes they are not! up the veg/salad/fruit to bulk out meals. Limit carbs as these hold water more [especially if you are female at certain times of the month] swap sugar for sweetners..............there is a whole host of things you can do, don't expect to do it all at once, gradually make changes.

Eat some naughty but nice things you enjoy, but limit them. If you don't you will crave and cave in. I wish you all the very best xx
  • mt_goodrich
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. What worked for me in starting is to have a goal and stick to it. The first week or so was hard, but once I got into my routine, I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way.

Good Luck!!!
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    I did mean to say.............opps sorry I forgot....................you need to eat the way you will stick to it for LIFE LONG if you cut things out, you will crave for it, if you cut things out, will you not eat it at all for life? so what I am trying to say is, re arrange what you are used to eating with healthier options, do not cut out anything [unless it medical] or you won't stick to it. Follow something you can stick to for life xxx I've been doing this for 2 yrs now xx
  • unknownat34
    unknownat34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much for your help.....I'm so tired of starting things and then failing. This needs to be my success. Thanks a bunch!!
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Thank u so much for your help.....I'm so tired of starting things and then failing. This needs to be my success. Thanks a bunch!!

I'm sure in the other sage advice that has already been given, someone may have mentioned it... but one of the most important things is being consistent. You have a setback, get back on the proverbial horse and keep plugging away. One day of stumbles is not going to undo any progress, even if that progress is more mental and emotional, than measurable on the scale. It's something you'll need to work at daily... be it though exercise or just keeping an eye on your food intake... but you've just gained a community of folks that been there, done that, and been there again... so, come on everyone... group hug! :p
  • Yetibite
    Yetibite Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This site is good for support! Lots of active users with encouragement and advice. Feel free to add me I am here several times a day and have my diary open to help keep my honest!
  • Jules_1111
    Jules_1111 Posts: 79
    Options
    Signing up here is a fantastic start. Follow the plan here, log everything you eat and drink in your diary, stick to the calorie limits of your diary, and do as much physical activity as you can, even if it's just walking at first.

This! :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with attitude. Negative = I'm on a diet Positive = I'm living a better, healthier lifestyle.

It's up to you whether you want to be on a diet or just live better.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Here is my advice, start small. Don't expect to drop 20lbs over night. It would be best if you didn't even focus on weight loss, you just focused on being healthier. With that, the weight will come off.

Look at weight loss long term, Girls usually weigh under 200lbs. I am assuming you want to lose about 125-150 or so? Let me ask you this, if you have 2 choices

1. Drop all the weight in 3 months.
    2. Drop the weight in 1yr.

In which situation would you be better off? The 1yr because you will have had more practice at developing the habits and exercise. No need to starve yourself, or kill yourself in the gym. Remember what you're doing is a foundation for a life time of health and fitness. When I first started I couldn't even walk 10mins, I would walk 8 minutes, take a break then walk another 2. Now I can jog for over 1hr and 30mins.

The most important thing i can tell you is, don't pay too much attention to the scale, weight will go up and down all the time. The most important thing in this is patience, patience, and more patience.

This is fantastic advice. To that I'd add drink tons of water and really try and celebrate the small changes along the way. At first this may only be something like feeling less tired and bloated, taking the stairs instead of an elevator, or just being more comfortable in your clothing. These are all great signs that change is happening. :smile:
  • unknownat34
    unknownat34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much for this! That's exactly where I'm at. If I walk on cement (outside, bike path, etc.) my back is killing me so I give up. Maybe that's what I should do walk 10 mins stop then walk 10 mins again....As for your question Id take the year, one b/c I know I have to retrain myself eating and learn to incorporate exercise in my life and keep it that way.
  • aspenwind
    aspenwind Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much for this! That's exactly where I'm at. If I walk on cement (outside, bike path, etc.) my back is killing me so I give up. Maybe that's what I should do walk 10 mins stop then walk 10 mins again....As for your question Id take the year, one b/c I know I have to retrain myself eating and learn to incorporate exercise in my life and keep it that way.

Good shoes might help with the back pain, I know lots of women who make horrible footwear choices. If you have a school with a track near you they are usually open to the public when not in use, they are a little more cushioned then walking on concrete.
  • Yetibite
    Yetibite Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One thing you can try is working out in a pool! It is so much easier on your joints. Most YMCAs offer water aerobics cheep. It is a gentle way to start. It also gets you out and being social. :happy: